The Max Verstappen Thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

To officially win the title, Max must.....

I thought Max was in a position to wrap up the title this weekend but it seems Sergio has been too good of late and his second place finishes have meant he is still mathematically a chance regardless of what happens.

Of course we know Max is going to win, likely by the biggest margin seen in recent years, but it seems now the earliest he can achieve his title is, at the Japanese GP, which follows Singapore. Actually Japan was the scene of him tying up last years title. But if you recall that because of the rain, the red flags and the race not going full distance there was uncertainty over the points awarded at Japan (even Max and Red Bull were not sure of the outcome as he crossed the line. It was only in the paddock immediately after the race that Max actuall was aware he had won the title.

To tie the title up in Japan he needs to leave Suzuka with a lead of at least 180 points over Sergio (or whoever might be second then.

Going by their average points per race thus far however, it would seem more likely that Max will have to wait until Qatar to tie it up. The fact we still have three Sprint races and the additional points available is part of the cause of the delay. Oh, I mentioned average points were GP this year, that is 26 points for Max and 15 per race for Sergio (includes all Sprint scores and Fastest Lap points.)

In a nutshell Max will take the title as long as he leaves Qatar with an advantage over 2nd place of 146 points.

To put it in numbers: Currently (ie heading to Singapore) Max has an advantage of 145 points

points permutations for Max to win title £3

Grand Prix Lead required afterwards

Japan 180
Qatar 146
United States 112
Mexico 86
Brazil 52
Las Vegas 26

As for the constructor Red Bull could tie things up officially his weekend.... but they would need to finish 1-2 with 2nd placed Mercedes failing to score any points. So realistically they will tie it up probably in Japan.

They currently lead Mercedes by 310 points. Taking the two teams’ average race-day scores across the season so far into account – 42 for Red Bull and 19.5 for Mercedes – Suzuka is the most likely venue for this particular battle to be settled.

Red Bull’s points permutations

Grand Prix Lead required afterwards

Singapore 353
Japan 309
Qatar 250
United States 191
Mexico 147

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Stats I wasn't aware off - Max never won this race. I am not sure if this fact will play any role when lights go off, but it may. Seb once said, it is a track requiring in the race most gear changes anywhere. My prediction - no less than 6 drivers will be in contention for the podium.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Aty wrote: 7 months ago Stats I wasn't aware off - Max never won that race. I am not sure if this fact will play any role when lights go off, but it may. Seb once said, it is a track requiring in the race most gear changes anywhere. My prediction - no less than 6 drivers will be in contention for the podium.
As far as Max goes at Singapore, he has also never had a pole there, or a fastest lap and in fact has only led a total of 3 laps there in his total career. Had a couple of podiums though, one for 2nd in 2018 and 3rd in 2019. Max did his best to crash out last year as it dried and he tried a desperate outbrake on I think Lando, had a huge lock up and fired up an escape road. That was after not having enough fuel in the car to do his final qualy lap so he abandoned it to ensure he had enough for his fuel sample..

Re gearchanges I undersyand Baku has the most gearchanges per lap at over 70 per lap. Having said that Singapore runs it close, but has dropped to 64 per lap with this years reduced corner count, ..... of course that is only per lap. Baku has more gear changes per lap but fewer laps (only 51) Singapore at 64 changes for more laps (62 I think this year ) amounts to more changes over the duration of the race for Singapore. So yes Singapore is probably is the most gear changes per RACE.

Also nothing to do with Max, but Singapore also has the longest pit lane time of the year, ....with a speed limit of 60 km/h, and a lpitlane return road that feeds in at turn two, the total pit lane time is the highest of the season at 25 seconds.

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

3 more points required for Title #3!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Max silences the doubters says the bbc

Where were the doubters? Lol

Absolute nothing better to say journo drivel

Even in Singapore he could have had podium
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

If it is relevant these days Bernie Ecclestone says Verstappen, regardless of what any stats might say has proven without doubt he is the GOAT and better than Lewis Hamilton ever was.

Bernie Ecclestone is convinced that Max Verstappen has already established himself as the greatest driver in the history of the series.

"Statistically Lewis Hamilton sits atop the Formula 1 mountain with most race wins, podiums and pole positions among his records, while he and Michael Schumacher are the only seven-time World Champions, though these days it is Verstappen schooling the field."
“Max is the best driver ever,” Ecclestone declared to the Daily Mail. “No doubts.

“I used to say Alain Prost. Now I would say Max. He’s the greatest. He is brightest with regards to getting the best out of the car. He doesn’t muck around. He gets right on the programme. In my list he is above Lewis Hamilton.”
"Lewis is obviously super-super bright, super-super talented,” Ecclestone continued.

“Lewis understands people and gets the best out of them, whereas Max gets the best out of the car. He’s very different from Max. When Lewis stops racing, he can get into a different world — entertainment or whatever — but that won’t be the way Max could go."

“I’ll tell you Max is one of us. In our sphere of Formula 1 nobody is like Lewis, nobody is. I think in the early days he was a bit different from other people. At school, I was a bit under-sized, so it is a bit different, too. As it was with Lewis. He had his dad’s support."

“When you are a little undersized, or whatever, you have to have a bit to look after yourself. You have to be a fighter, perhaps. You see that a lot in business generally.”

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

So, Verstappen is essentially home and dry, and can afford to make a stand and boycott the coming Sportswashing Grands Prix in Qatar and Abu Dhabi. For me, personally, that will establish whether he has any worth as a human being.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

A driver is contracted to drive for a full season. I think he should stick to that schedule, unless he has darn good and legitimate excuse why he cannot. (IMO of course.) Political convictions don't count. Once you get on that slippery slope, then others will follow. Don't start what you cannot control.
Last edited by Aty 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Political convictions? I'm talking human rights, not political convictions. It's neither left nor right nor centre to say, "Respect the Law! Respect the Human Condition! Respect the Freedom of Expression! Don't kill those that won't support you!" etc.

Max has nothing to lose if he raises his voice. I don't expect Logan Sargent to make a statement, but it's the least we can expect from an unchallenged Leader of the Sport to stand up and say out loud that he doesn't stand for sportswashing. Does he have the spine for it?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michael Ferner wrote: 7 months ago So, Verstappen is essentially home and dry, and can afford to make a stand and boycott the coming Sportswashing Grands Prix in Qatar and Abu Dhabi. For me, personally, that will establish whether he has any worth as a human being.
Presumably all the other drivers could too!

What a load of nonsense
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 7 months ago
That was a bit of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Regarding Max - he is the greates, says 94 years old BE.
Speaking to Daily Mail after the Japanese GP, Ecclestone said: “If I were a team owner, I think I’d get hold of the Australian kid [Piastri]. He’s very good. But Max is the best I have ever seen.
“Max is the best driver ever,” repeated the 94-year-old. “No doubts. I used to say Alain Prost. Now I would say Max. He’s the greatest. He is the brightest with regard to getting the best out of the car. He doesn’t muck around. He gets right on the programme. In my list, he is above Lewis Hamilton.
GP247

Like him or not, this man has been part fo the F1 very long time and some of his views are worth of considderations. In contrast to his assertion, while I am not disputing his claim, I shy away from such comparisons. In an objective analysis conditions are dynamic, continuously evolving, and interjection of personal bias is unavoidable. Comparing Prost to Verstappen is not what I recommend beyond small talk with a friend while sipping a cup of coffee. What is undisputable is the fact, that both men excelled / excelling in their craft. That's the only common denominator I can recommend for acceptance without doubts.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Aty wrote: 7 months ago Regarding Max - he is the greates, says 94 years old BE.
Speaking to Daily Mail after the Japanese GP, Ecclestone said: “If I were a team owner, I think I’d get hold of the Australian kid [Piastri]. He’s very good. But Max is the best I have ever seen.
“Max is the best driver ever,” repeated the 94-year-old. “No doubts. I used to say Alain Prost. Now I would say Max. He’s the greatest. He is the brightest with regard to getting the best out of the car. He doesn’t muck around. He gets right on the programme. In my list, he is above Lewis Hamilton.
GP247

Like him or not, this man has been part fo the F1 very long time and some of his views are worth of considderations. In contrast to his assertion, while I am not disputing his claim, I shy away from such comparisons. In an objective analysis conditions are dynamic, continuously evolving, and interjection of personal bias is unavoidable. Comparing Prost to Verstappen is not what I recommend beyond small talk with a friend while sipping a cup of coffee. What is undisputable is the fact, that both men excelled / excelling in their craft. That's the only common denominator I can recommend for acceptance without doubts.
Bernie's always been full of it.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 7 months ago Regarding Max - he is the greates, says 94 years old BE.
GP247

What about comparing Max to Lewis? You can do that pretty easily, surely.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records