The Max Verstappen Thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aty wrote: 7 months ago Mr. Horner inherited Mr. Newey. He should be very careful throwing stones around.
For the sake of facts Horner did not inherit Newey.

Horner was part of the Jaguar takeover by Red Bull back at the end of 2004 '/ early '05. and the operating as TP in those initial days of Red Bull Racing

For 2006 Horner, then the youngest ever Team Principal in F1, persuaded Newey to leave McLaren where he had successfully won multiple titles as he had done at Williams, and join the fledgling Red Bull organisation. History shows this to have been the most critical appointment Red Bull Racing ever made.... Vettel would no doubt not have had the career he enjoyed, nor Max currently, without the skills of Newey producing the cars that they have successfully driven..

So credit to Horner for a choosing to try and lure Newey away from the at the time mighty McLaren Empire. That he managed to lureNewey away from McLaren and then keep such an influential and no doubt still the most in demand person in pitlane, still controlling the designs and abilities of the Red Bull cars some near 2 decades later is something Horner must be given credit for.

Regardless of whether I like the man or not he deserves that credit. Likewise Wolff who I equally dislike, does at least get my respect for his part in steering and controlling the fortunes of Mercedes F1. (Even though the perhaps mosst important recruit for Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton, was secured and enticed to join Mercedes by the late great Niki Lauda. (RIP Niki :bow: )

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago
Aty wrote: 7 months ago Mr. Horner inherited Mr. Newey. He should be very careful throwing stones around.

Horner was part of the Jaguar takeover by Red Bull back at the end of 2004 '/ early '05. and the operating as TP in those initial days of Red Bull Racing

For 2006 Horner, then the youngest ever Team Principal in F1, persuaded Newey to leave McLaren where he had successfully won multiple titles as he had done at Williams, and join the fledgling Red Bull organisation. History shows this to have been the most critical appointment Red Bull Racing ever made.... Vettel would no doubt not have had the career he enjoyed, nor Max currently, without the skills of Newey producing the cars that they have successfully driven..

So credit to Horner for a choosing to try and lure Newey away from the at the time mighty McLaren Empire. That he managed to lureNewey away from McLaren and then keep such an influential and no doubt still the most in demand person in pitlane, still controlling the designs and abilities of the Red Bull cars some near 2 decades later is something Horner must be given credit for.

Regardless of whether I like the man or not he deserves that credit. Likewise Wolff who I equally dislike, does at least get my respect for his part in steering and controlling the fortunes of Mercedes F1. (Even though the perhaps mosst important recruit for Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton, was secured and enticed to join Mercedes by the late great Niki Lauda. (RIP Niki :bow: )
Semantics. Point is, both, Horner and Wolf alike built their fame and fortunes on back of someone else. Horner's rhetoric is increasingly hard to swallow.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Actually it was not that difficult to lure Newey away from McLaren. The relation between Dennis and Newey was pretty bad in those days. And starting at Red Bull Racing was very lucrative. Jaguar Ford was in shambles. Ideal to rebuild it.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Aty wrote: 7 months ago

Semantics. Point is, both, Horner and Wolf alike built their fame and fortunes on back of someone else. Horner's rhetoric is increasingly hard to swallow.
Semantics? So, what in your esteemed opinion is the job description of a team principal?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner wrote: 7 months ago

So, what in your esteemed opinion is the job description of a team principal?
Steer the ship.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Horner did way more to develop that team than Wolff ever did at Mercedes.

Also, in defence of Horner, at least he's unapologetically an asshole to the world, and doesn't care. Unlike Toto who spent years hiding that side of him.

I say that in a positive way, because I do believe that to be the best in that kind of role you do need to be a sneaky, underhand and devious character.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

F1 is never still in development. I have my issues with Toto, but to claim that after all those years (7?) he lived merely on coctails of the past might be unfair to him. Horner (with Newey next to him) accusing Toto not knowing how the F1 works crossed a red line of decent conversation. Just pile of refuse.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Of Verstappen’s and Red Bull’s achievement, Brundle wrote: “What an achievement to faultlessly keep up that level of performance and reliability on many different track layouts and in varying weather conditions, up against mighty opposition. Congratulations to each and every one of them.
GP247

For once I can agree with Brundle on that. I think we are witnessing something big which will be written into history of the sport. For some it will take time to admit it, whilst for appreciation it will be too late. Prost, Schumacher, Vettel, and now Verstappen. Exalted line up of truly greats. (Maybe Alonso should be added, but I don't know, and I am not convinced.)
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Of Verstappen’s and Red Bull’s achievement, Brundle wrote: “What an achievement to faultlessly keep up that level of performance and reliability on many different track layouts and in varying weather conditions, up against mighty opposition. Congratulations to each and every one of them.
GP247

For once I can agree with Brundle on that. I think we are witnessing something big which will be written into history of the sport. For some it will take time to admit it, whilst for appreciation it will be too late. Prost, Schumacher, Vettel, and now Verstappen. Exalted line up of truly greats. (Maybe Alonso should be added, but I don't know, and I am not convinced.)
Always hard to say how good someone is when they have the fastest car. But all you can do is first beat your teammate (tick - easily) and then everyone else (double tick - way too easily).

He's removed a lot of the stupid, sometimes dangerous, moves he made when he was younger.

And it's hard to say if he's taking it that easy that he's removed the smaller errors that most other drivers do when they're pushed.

Either way, he's doing all he needs to. Can't fault his driving.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

MonteCristo wrote: 7 months ago
GP247

Always hard to say how good someone is when they have the fastest car. But all you can do is first beat your teammate (tick - easily) and then everyone else (double tick - way too easily).

He's removed a lot of the stupid, sometimes dangerous, moves he made when he was younger.

And it's hard to say if he's taking it that easy that he's removed the smaller errors that most other drivers do when they're pushed.

Either way, he's doing all he needs to. Can't fault his driving.
We all were once young, and not always behaved properly or made smart decisions. In early races for what (nasty) he did to Vettel I was calling for dragging him to Hauge, and throw a key away for life. (A contract on his head was not available as an option.) But, it was then, and it is now. He grew up. I am still not his fan (the same way I was with Vettel), but I do respect and admire where he is now. Brundle actually put it more eloquently.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Perez speaking about his teammate:
"At the level that he is driving at the moment, it's extreme.
"I think the ability he has to perform at his 100 per cent every single weekend, no matter which conditions he's driving [in].
"It's something that's quite hard to see, as his teammate.
"It doesn’t really matter what's happened, whether we have a good margin or bad margins or the car is becoming difficult.
"He's been able to extract 100 per cent out of himself and the car pretty much every weekend."
RN365
Nothing more, nothing less.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I’m a bit at a loss as to why Toto and Lewis thought they needed to chime in instead of just congratulating Max and moving on. I suspect some very creative press editing (where they ask an unfair question and make it seem like the interviewee just made the comment out of the blue).
In any case, Button responded with a very mature answer and I agree with his opinion.

https://wtf1.com/post/buttons-insightfu ... tid=Zxz2cZ
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

The whole interview about Max.

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Effort to find some blemishes on Verstappen's accomplishments is relentless. I don't recall something like that was going on in 2014. Admittedly FiA designed system was in doghouse (as early as mid-summer of 2014, location - my house), but not Hamilton personally. That started later when he was promoted into GOAT level, and he took it without blink of his eyelid.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Not sure what the fuss is.

Hamilton's had Button, Alonso, Rosberg as teammates - all WDCs.

Verstappen's had Sainz, Ricciardo, Albon, Gasly, Perez - race winners, but not WDCs (yet at least... though I can't see any of them getting one). I think it's pretty easy to say he's had it easier in terms of who he has come up against.

But like I said earlier - all Verstappen can do is beat them. And he has/is. All he can do is beat the rest of the opposition. And in the last two and a half years he has/is.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »