Silly Season 2022

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ballies, I'm pretty sure that teams can run a 2021 car now because the changes between 21 and 22 were so significant. I seem to remember this happened with 2013 and 2014.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Ballies, I'm pretty sure that teams can run a 2021 car now because the changes between 21 and 22 were so significant. I seem to remember this happened with 2013 and 2014.
fair enough, makes sense. I know it used to be 2 years old but it makes sense that last years cars are now ok given the number of changes in chassis and tyres etc this year. Even so he aint going to learn much about driving a current F1 car if he uses last years car. On the plus side he wont get 'porpoised'!

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago D/T 2022.05.06 10:51 UTC
Boss shows ‘no confidence’ in Ricciardo – report
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... 11_report/

This is not a first headline of this kind what I'm reading lately. What's going on? Brown's way how to get an American into the F1? I am not a fan of DR (never was), and I am even less fan of Brown, but this doesn't make any sense. Next year - who knows...
Danny Ric isn't bad, but I'm starting to feel like his time in F1 is drawing to a close and I don't expect him to move forward much from where he is. Lando will be a race winner soon enough though.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
Aty wrote: 2 years ago D/T 2022.05.06 10:51 UTC
Boss shows ‘no confidence’ in Ricciardo – report
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... 11_report/

This is not a first headline of this kind what I'm reading lately. What's going on? Brown's way how to get an American into the F1? I am not a fan of DR (never was), and I am even less fan of Brown, but this doesn't make any sense. Next year - who knows...
Danny Ric isn't bad, but I'm starting to feel like his time in F1 is drawing to a close and I don't expect him to move forward much from where he is. Lando will be a race winner soon enough though.
Agreed Danny Ric will retire title free.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

OK, Aussie might decide to retire. however I am taken aback (considering the source, i should not be) by such toxic headline. This will not support strong driver's mental disposition, whether he admits it, or not. The team needs engaged both drivers at their best, physically and mentally.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aty wrote: 1 year ago OK, Aussie might decide to retire. however I am taken aback (considering the source, i should not be) by such toxic headline. This will not support strong driver's mental disposition, whether he admits it, or not. The team needs engaged both drivers at their best, physically and mentally.
You hit it right on the head.... a toxic clickbait headline based on comments in an article from an Aussie newspaper.... an article that I posted in full previously, and one which it never mentions of comments made by others, and only ever discusses what happens beyond the end of 2023 when his current contract expires.
Comments from Zak Brown also confirm only that Danny is secure until end 2023 when his contract is up for renewal. Some are reading into that that Riciardo will be out by season end, a fact which has never even been mentioned by any credible source.

Clearly if Danny Ric's form does not turn around in the near future his chances of renewal are pretty well gone of even staying in F1.
I repeat my self by saying the old well word "dont spoil a good story for the sake of the truth." :wink:

Perhaps influenced by the fact Norris, a future star that any team would be keen to employ, has had his existing contract extended long before his current contract expires.... as was the case with other future stars such as Max and Lecerc. Their existing teams want to secure said drivers services long term. Danny Ric's career is long beyond that so aligning actions taken in relation to Norris's future are irrelevant.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.05.31 8:11 UTC
Some more talk from Brown, and it has not been received well.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/111941/s ... -hurt.html
Button:
"I was surprised Zak came out and said he was not meeting expectations - we all know that. But when your team principal comes out and says that, it definitely hurts. From Daniel's response, it hurt."
I think Brown should let let some real manager (like Andreas Seidl) to run that team, and stop improvising.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aty wrote: 1 year ago D/T 2022.05.31 8:11 UTC
Some more talk from Brown, and it has not been received well.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/111941/s ... -hurt.html
Button:
"I was surprised Zak came out and said he was not meeting expectations - we all know that. But when your team principal comes out and says that, it definitely hurts. From Daniel's response, it hurt."
I think Brown should let let some real manager (like Andreas Seidl) to run that team, and stop improvising.

Well there is always a way out of a contract from both sides..... and if McLaren seriously wanted to offload Danny all they have to do is what Ferrari did with Raikkonen at end 2009. Pay him his salary and park him. That will cost McLaren something in the region of US$17 million....

The problem is if they do that who do they replace him with? We know Perez and maybe Gasly are up for renewal year end, but would Sergio want to return to McLaren? Especially when he already has one of the best two seats on the grid and is doing well there. If someone like KMag was available he might be of interest but he isnt. He signed a multi 6 million per yer deal with Haas.

Would McLaren want to take a rookie in? I dont think so. They, like Red Bull did, need someone who can hit the ground running and bring in plenty of constructors points. They need to someone already up to speed. Someone similar to Piastri would be an option..... Alpine have already offered him short term to McLaren. But again you have that rookie dilemma..... Frying Pan / Fire syndrome. They could end up with another Danny in terms of lack of points contributions.

Dont even mention Pato O'Ward or Colton Herta for the same reasons but moreso. They are many Friday sessions and Testing days from being F1 ready. At least Piastri has tested F1 cars and knows the tyre quirks from his F2 days. (Yes they work the same way as F1 tyres.)

End of the day what happens depends on how bad they want to replace an in contract Danny,..... and part of that decision is not only the cost of outing Danny but who to replace him with. That person has to be someone who can hit the ground running and contribute from day 1. They are not as financially insecure as they were, but they are by far not out of the woods, and plenty of constructor points is their greatest potential income. Especially with an over 15 million cost of dumping Danny.

Of course Danny might also be willing to quit F1 end 2022, even wanting to. He has often said the travel and time on the run away from home is something he is over.... maybe a reduced golden handshake of half his contract value might be sweet enough to make him walk.

But still McLaren have to replace him. Who with that gives them the immediate form they need? :idunno:

Answers on a postcard please..... :wink:

Oh and re Brown's comments, yes he is a plonker and suffers foot in mouth.....
but re Seidl, he has always of late said that Seidl is the Team Principal and what he wants in the F1 team is what happens.

Brown has always said his function in the team, despite being Seidl's boss, is to grow the total McLaren racing business overall, the Indycar, FE, Extreme Offroad, Sportscars and F1 divisions, plus look at new projects that might grow McLaren Racing as a Group, and make sure they all have the sponsorship and resources to best function.

His function is not to run the F1 team or any of the McLaren racing teams on a day to day basis. Having said that he will clearly be involved when it comes to how much money he makes available to the F1 team.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

It is my understanding DR is from Perth, but I doubt he will be going there once he quits. I've felt compelled to take a geography lesson about that city (I had however fuzzy idea where to look on the map). That place could be probably good for retirement. It look good in pictures. I think DR will have a sleep on it, and he might decide to follow others, and shuffle across the pond to make a few bucks in Indy 500.
Problem might be, according to some most recent texts, he seems to be slightly delusional. There is no other way to put it. I hope it's only short term madness and he gets over it.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago That place could be probably good for retirement.
We're considering it!

It's our back-up plan if the east coast beach towns are too pricey still when the time comes.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
We're considering it!

It's our back-up plan if the east coast beach towns are too pricey still when the time comes.
Going back to DR his extended family is very close and he already spends as much time as possible 'back home'. During Covid and the travel restrictions he often mentioned the worst part of the whole Covid thing was his inability to spend any time in Perth.

As an aside I also looked at living in Perth! Monte, have you seen the prices of Beach property in Perth? :omg:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
We're considering it!

Yeah, the place is relatively big. (1 Mill+ dwellers or thereabout?). Not bad at all. For me it's too late to move now, but a few years back...I think I've slept on the switch. Not sure about future of local industry (mining, etc). You have to hope it will not turn into a ghost town.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hehehe Just as I suggest maybe McLaren, if serious about replacing Danny end of year, should be contacting Sergio seeing as he is out of contract end of year....

Horner must have thought similar as he has today given Sergio a firm 2 year extension until end 2024. Deal signed. So one less option for McLaren to chase. Maybe Gasly is on the list now.... Im sure he wont be thrilled that the seat he has had an eye on slipping into has been pulled from under him. He might be a good avenue for McLaren to pursue. Not many options if they want an established driver.

Perez signs two-year extension to Red Bull F1 contract

Just rewards for the form he has showed this year. Following a mechanical retirement in Bahrain a couple of laps from claiming a win, Sergio hasn't finished lower than fourth and has taken four podiums, including a win in Monaco where he outclassed Max from start to finish of the weekend..
Horner praised Perez for his improved form and acknowledged that he was ticking all the boxes for the partnership to continue. And no doubt realised others would be chatting to Perez trying to coax him away.
"Time and again he has proved himself to not only be a magnificent team player but as his level of comfort has grown, he has become a real force to be reckoned with at the sharp end of the grid," Horner explained.

"This year he has taken another step and the gap to world champion Max has closed significantly, evidenced by his superb pole position in Jeddah earlier this year and by his wonderful win in Monaco just last weekend.

"For us, holding onto his pace, race craft and experience was a no-brainer."

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Gasly must be devastated. Sergio will not play a ball, contract or not. He wants equal status with Max, and he might get it, altho Monaco is a special case, and I am hesitant to project Checo's might for other (speed) circuits.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago Gasly must be devastated. Sergio will not play a ball, contract or not. He wants equal status with Max, and he might get it, altho Monaco is a special case, and I am hesitant to project Checo's might for other (speed) circuits.
Doubt gasly ever thought he'd go back to RB tbh. He'll go to Renault sooner or later
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

White six wrote: 1 year ago
Aty wrote: 1 year ago Gasly must be devastated. Sergio will not play a ball, contract or not. He wants equal status with Max, and he might get it, altho Monaco is a special case, and I am hesitant to project Checo's might for other (speed) circuits.
Doubt gasly ever thought he'd go back to RB tbh. He'll go to Renault sooner or later
If Seb decide to quit, Gasly has to be considered by AM. Should Audi purchase AM (which is highly doubtful, but not impossible), they want two German drivers in their team. That aspiration itself is not a problem. MB should have done it long time ago instead taking on only British drivers, just as Andretti wants Americans in his team, so it's not strange, but it might leave a lot of other drivers in cold, including Gasly.
Pierre could probably get in initially on short term contract, since it may take a few years before German drivers will be ready to compete. I am however getting ahead of myself. He is a good driver, and at the end he might drop out and be forgotten as many others have before him.