Sprint races approved and happening in 2021. Balls.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Formula 1 is considering the idea of a special ‘Grand Slam’ award for Sprint Races next year in a bid to bring a further element of excitement to race weekends, Motorsport.com can reveal.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has now revealed that one idea being looked at is to introduce a special ‘Grand Slam’ element to sprint weekends – which would be awarded to any driver who takes pole position and victory for both the sprint and main grand prix.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... /10495626/

Oh boy, I can hardly contain myself.

I don't know how much further excitement I can take!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 9 months ago
Formula 1 is considering the idea of a special ‘Grand Slam’ award for Sprint Races next year in a bid to bring a further element of excitement to race weekends, Motorsport.com can reveal.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has now revealed that one idea being looked at is to introduce a special ‘Grand Slam’ element to sprint weekends – which would be awarded to any driver who takes pole position and victory for both the sprint and main grand prix.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... /10495626/

Oh boy, I can hardly contain myself.

I don't know how much further excitement I can take!
What a horrible idea. So the standalone Sprint race now stands with one leg tied to the Feature race. They were so sure that the two segments of Sprint and Main race were not going to interfere with each other, they now want to group them together to create some "über alles" award.
Give them a platinum medal and call it the best car award.. :sarcasm: :idunno: :suspicious:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

That's some fucking bullshit. I don't know who is buying this nonsense anymore. But that actually makes me excited that the Red Bull dominance (or anyone else's dominance) rubs it straight into Liberty's face. They can't manipulate the outcome the the championships with all these gimmick ideas one way or another.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Vassago wrote: 9 months ago That's some fucking bullshit. I don't know who is buying this nonsense anymore. But that actually makes me excited that the Red Bull dominance (or anyone else's dominance) rubs it straight into Liberty's face. They can't manipulate the outcome the the championships with all these gimmick ideas one way or another.
"Can Max do it, and be crowned this week's GOAT? Stay tuned for the grandstand finish!"

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Another revamp on the way? That didn't take long. Even those mythical new fans ain't buying what Liberty sells? Shocking!

Anyway, standalone world championship sprint status and those pesky reverse grids are the ideas. What a piece of croc this truly is.

I wonder when will they realize this format is pure horseXXXX and should get canned?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/reve ... /10536999/
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Vassago wrote: 6 months ago Anyway, standalone world championship sprint status and those pesky reverse grids are the ideas. What a piece of croc this truly is.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Vassago wrote: 6 months ago Another revamp on the way? That didn't take long. Even those mythical new fans ain't buying what Liberty sells? Shocking!

Anyway, standalone world championship sprint status and those pesky reverse grids are the ideas. What a piece of croc this truly is.

I wonder when will they realize this format is pure horseXXXX and should get canned?
A bit more has come up in the proposals for the Sprint thing in terms of how it fits into the weekend, following meetings between F1 and the teams.

The proposals below seem to address some of the issues I have which relate to the Sprint bits detrimental affect on the main event. My main bugs are the premature qualifying, given the current parc ferme regulations and the definition of Saturday being all Sprint crap.

Since iSprints first happened, F1 has stated that it is trialling the Sprint concept and is open to making refinements. That has seen a different qualifying format employed, awarding more points, with the finishing order no longer defining the grid for the grand prix. The latter was an improvement but thats about it.

This as follows is where it seems to be heading. I have to say its a potential improvement, if only because it more compromises the Sprint than the currently compromised main event, particulalrly qualifying. It still doesnt answer many questions, including the "Do we even need it" question.

Further tweaks look certain for 2024 with the latest suggestion that the Sprint Shootout will move to Friday, while the F1 Sprint itself becomes the first session of the day on Saturday, followed by qualifying.

There have been no shortage of other suggestions too, with Sergio Perez calling for the 100km encounter to employ a reverse grid, while other voices have floated the notion of a standalone Sprint championship. The latter at least gives the Sprint some less interfering purpose, and hopefully includes its own exclusive parc ferme that means cars can be fettled for the main event later in the weekend than the current after just the Friday practice ..... but again I ask, do we need a secondary championship?

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Maybe it's all about money. Dillution of main event will almost certainly carry several unwated consequences. Visitors might not have desire to be bored twice by the same expensive ticket. Empty stands on Sunday is real possibility, unless F1 grows up a pair, and we get killing on Saturday, and revenge on Sunday.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/h ... f7b94&ei=9
Has Karun Chandhok found the ultimate F1 weekend format?

The former Hispania and Lotus driver took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to offer his thoughts following the Sao Paulo GP Sprint, and suggested an ‘independent Sprint championship’, which would still take place during a Grand Prix weekend.

Chandhok suggested placing a single Sprint race on Friday following Free Practice One, with Free Practice Two and regular qualifying coming on Saturday, followed by the Grand Prix on Sunday.

For the standalone Sprint race, Chandhok suggested a reverse grid race, with the grid determined by flipping the order of the Drivers’ Championship.

He added that teams would get points and prize money for doing well in the championship, and even suggested providing an incentive of additional wind tunnel time for the successful teams.
Reward the most successful by giving them the exclusive opportunity to ... be more successful.

I hate all this shit.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Another Formula 1 Sprint Race weekend and another set of disgruntled drivers and teams, the pilots argue that the Sprint format is meaningless.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/11/09 ... -time-ago/

Meaningless? That's polite way to put it. It appears I am not alone in this loveless Sprint-mariagge.
They may not like the Sprint race weekend, but I haven’t heard any solutions from that quarter either. I think it was Bernie who once said something to the effect of: “The problem with the teams and drivers is that they think it’s all there for them.” This kind of mindset seems to have returned.
Now hold on!

- Who spends money on the quipment?
- Who is risking their lives?
- Who is really at the centre of the show?

BE? Liberty? FiA? F1 media?
Drivers and teams are the show. Rest of them is just parasitic enterprise. Ecclestone has a mindset of money people - we are everything. In reality, remove or marginalise drivers and team owners, make them leave, and what's left?
Let’s face it, even if you’re knowledgeable, FP1 and FP2 are frankly as dull as dishwater from a TV perspective
How ignorant media can get? FP was there to setup car and test updates (you t...), and now you will make a TV show out of it?
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 5 months ago
Let’s face it, even if you’re knowledgeable, FP1 and FP2 are frankly as dull as dishwater from a TV perspective
How ignorant media can get? FP was there to setup car and test updates (you t...), and now you will make a TV show out of it?
Let's make every session a race! With its own championship! And medals awarded for some races, wreaths for others, and trophies yet for the rest (and every finisher gets a certificate). And probably a different rule book for each one.

It'll be highly exciting, and everyone will be hyper engaged by the festivities!

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

MonteCristo wrote: 5 months ago
Let's make every session a race! With its own championship! And medals awarded for some races, wreaths for others, and trophies yet for the rest (and every finisher gets a certificate). And probably a different rule book for each one.

It'll be highly exciting, and everyone will be hyper engaged by the festivities!
I read somewhere that history repeat itsef (or something to that effect). Does this mean that we are returning to feudal times? Right or wrong, certainly it feels that way these days.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

You forgot that there should also be bonus points for every driver who can spell their name.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yuji Ide can return and surely get full points if we include a "fastest to write their name" category.

Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton Larbalestier unlikely to trouble the scorers.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

You sure, about Yuji Ide? How fast can you write 井出 有治... :haha:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

"The Golden Turd" to be awarded for the last place finisher in the Sprint.
"The Bronze Corkscrew" to be awarded for the first crasher.
and
"The Chrome Horn" to be awarded to the first person pushed off the track.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: