2021 Cup, Xfinity, Truck, ARCA Series - Race thread - *Bristol*

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Disgusting, lol.

Reminds me of when Nigel Mansell had diarrhea in his overalls. Feel sorry for the cleaning personnel.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago Disgusting, lol.

Reminds me of when Nigel Mansell had diarrhea in his overalls. Feel sorry for the cleaning personnel.
Mark Webber was sick in his crash helmet at Japan in 2007. In fact here is a video of his radio message.... :sick:

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2020/ ... _2007.html

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

I guess you could say next weekend is the first 'real' NASCAR race of 2021 (as in regular, non-superspeedway ovals).
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

And what is not NASCAR with the Daytona 500?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Radioactive from Daytona Road course

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago And what is not NASCAR with the Daytona 500?
Even the drivers say the 'real season' begins now, after the Daytona 500. That's because plate racing is an anomaly, to be honest. All the drivers know it's a game of luck through and through. They are not in charge of their destiny because:

A) No escape from pack
B) Shit drivers can run right on the bumper of champion drivers for the whole race
C) No role of driving skills as it's like driving on a highway, no real 'turns' in the traditional sense where you have to plan for corner entry, mid-corner and ideal corner exit. It's just wide open.
D) Only 'skill' is avoiding wrecks but that is also purely based on luck because of A, B and C

Once upon a time, Daytona and Talladega involved a bit of driving skill when drivers actually had to manage tires and play with throttle a bit but recent packages have been purely designed to take all skill out of the equation and make it a clown show focused on big pile-ups and random winners.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

SB83 wrote: 3 years ago
Once upon a time, Daytona and Talladega involved a bit of driving skill when drivers actually had to manage tires and play with throttle a bit but recent packages have been purely designed to take all skill out of the equation and make it a clown show focused on big pile-ups and random winners.
Thats the best description of the 500 we had to endure last week that I have read. :thumbsup: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Yep, the facts speak for themselves, July races at Daytona are normally the same as well, Most of the car count in the 2000s was from one big wreck, especially 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2007. The truck races are the same as well, especially the past few years, but some of that can probably be put down to inexperience. Big pileups sometimes happen, but the amount of cars involved in incidents during the last 5 Daytona 500's show there's clearly something not right, they even removed the restrictor plates after the 2019 Daytona 500 to try and increase the space between cars, it didn't help at all, and they were basically put back on after Newman's crash, so it's pretty clear the way the cars are setup to draft is the issue.

Good news is, with a new car coming next year, things might change. The current Xfinity series package is fantastic, both on superspeedways and normal tracks so hopefully they use something similar for cup.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Antonov wrote: 3 years agoI guess you could say next weekend is the first 'real' NASCAR race of 2021 (as in regular, non-superspeedway ovals).
Even the drivers say the 'real season' begins now, after the Daytona 500. That's because plate racing is an anomaly, to be honest. All the drivers know it's a game of luck through and through. They are not in charge of their destiny because:

A) No escape from pack
B) Shit drivers can run right on the bumper of champion drivers for the whole race
C) No role of driving skills as it's like driving on a highway, no real 'turns' in the traditional sense where you have to plan for corner entry, mid-corner and ideal corner exit. It's just wide open.
D) Only 'skill' is avoiding wrecks but that is also purely based on luck because of A, B and C

Though I agree with your post, no matter how you look at so called "anomalies", they are part of the "real" NASCAR season and points are awarded as usual unlike true anomalies like The Busch Clash. Thus, like it or not, they are "real" NASCAR races. :smiley:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years agoGood news is, with a new car coming next year, things might change. The current Xfinity series package is fantastic, both on superspeedways and normal tracks so hopefully they use something similar for cup.
They'll change for certain, but, things ain't never gonna' change for the better in any venue of auto racing until it returns to real auto racing; not just parades (the "leveled playing fields".....spec'ing, "cost cutting" (that's funny...) longevity regulations, BoPing, etc.) of rolling billboards for the benefit of sponsors' exposure, and return the "sport" to it's roots of proving who can drive and win with the fastest autos their designers/engineers and rest of their teams can devise.

I know I repeat myself, but it's the reality....they're (most pro series; F1's still hanging in there by a thread) not the sport of auto racing anymore; they're just seasons of fast moving, multi product, semi-scripted, commercial/advert "shows".

It just saddens me what has happened to the sport of auto racing, and refuse to let the indoctrination just slide on by......

I know, I know.....I'll digress now. :down:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Oh, but it most certainly is - and so are road courses to an intensifying degree.

What I rather meant to say was that Homestead-Miami is the first round of the dominant track-type in NASCAR today (non-restrictor plate Speedways).
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

On a side note to last weeks race, I hope this paint scheme never runs again, what’s up the cut off M on the sides and the completely random M behind the front tires.

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago On a side note to last weeks race, I hope this paint scheme never runs again, what’s up the cut off M on the sides and the completely random M behind the front tires.
and the 42 scheme they're running this week looks like diarrhea...

stick to Clover, Chip.
yes, I am the NASCAR flip list guy...
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago
acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago On a side note to last weeks race, I hope this paint scheme never runs again, what’s up the cut off M on the sides and the completely random M behind the front tires.
and the 42 scheme they're running this week looks like diarrhea...
care to show us?
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago care to show us?
yes, I am the NASCAR flip list guy...
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago and the 42 scheme they're running this week looks like diarrhea...

stick to Clover, Chip.
I'm sure Chip would love to stick with Clover, but I doubt Clover wants to pay for the full season.
Bring back the sheep.