Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Thoughts on Jimmeh after his oval debut?

Certainly seemed more at home. At the start I was thinking "Oh god, he's even slow on ovals." However, he warmed up. But I can't see him around next year?

Hopefully this result gives him some extra confidence with the car when it comes to turning right.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I expected it tbh as Jimmie was never a road course expert like most of the "furren" Indycar crop is but when it comes to oval racing, esp with a bit of handling involved (as opposed to wide-open no-talent lotteries/wreckfests of old), Jimmie knows what's up. But I honestly don't see him getting any better on road courses because of this.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago I expected it tbh as Jimmie was never a road course expert like most of the "furren" Indycar crop is but when it comes to oval racing, esp with a bit of handling involved (as opposed to wide-open no-talent lotteries/wreckfests of old), Jimmie knows what's up. But I honestly don't see him getting any better on road courses because of this.
He's clearly better at turning left left left than if he has to throw in a few rights. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago But I honestly don't see him getting any better on road courses because of this.
I don't know. I think it'll help him. Professional sports has so many intangibles involved that separate the best from the rest.

So maybe he'll feel more confident with some areas that are lacking.

But that said, it's clear he won't be a front runner, short of an inspired fuel strategy call. Indycar is so strong at the moment. There are very few wanker ride-buyers who have no right to be anywhere near an Indycar. So at best I'd see him maybe getting an extra position or two at the most. But that puts him into the low 20s in terms of a 26-27 car field - hardly competitive.

Good to see him feel comfortable on an oval though.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago But I honestly don't see him getting any better on road courses because of this.
I don't know. I think it'll help him. Professional sports has so many intangibles involved that separate the best from the rest.

But that said, it's clear he won't be a front runner, short of an inspired fuel strategy call. Indycar is so strong at the moment. There are very few wanker ride-buyers who have no right to be anywhere near an Indycar. So at best I'd see him maybe getting an extra position or two at the most. But that puts him into the low 20s in terms of a 26-27 car field - hardly competitive.

True, on the non-driving psychological side of things, it may help a bit.
But from a pure talent transition (not sure if that's a term I just made up but it sounded good to me!) point of view, ovals are what he's done extremely well at all his life so that's where I expect him to improve dramatically in Indycar, especially when they involve some lifting/handling as opposed to wide open. Can't wait for the 500. :happy:
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago

But from a pure talent transition (not sure if that's a term I just made up but it sounded good to me!) point of view, ovals are what he's done extremely well at all his life so that's where I expect him to improve dramatically in Indycar, especially when they involve some lifting/handling as opposed to wide open. Can't wait for the 500. :happy:
For sure. He's got a couple decades of muscle memory and brain wiring based around how a stock car behaves.

Understanding how a downforce enabled openwheeler acts will take time - time he doesn't have because he's aging and reflexes are waning. In a lot of ways I'd just see him taking one step forward and one step back on that front.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

For sure. He's got a couple decades of muscle memory and brain wiring based around how a stock car behaves.

Understanding how a downforce enabled openwheeler acts will take time - time he doesn't have because he's aging and reflexes are waning. In a lot of ways I'd just see him taking one step forward and one step back on that front.
Ah, you're looking at it more from a car perspective whereas I was more considering the track perspective. Both are important for sure but I don't know which one is a bigger factor in this case. I guess it varies from driver to driver. Personally (and this is purely from a simracing perspective), the track type has usually been a bigger factor for me when it comes to ovals vs road, and I found that thought reinforced somewhat when I saw Jimmie suddenly doing so well in Indycar the moment he went to an oval. And it's also why I assume he'll go back to struggling as soon as they return to the road/street courses on the calendar.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

JJ will probably do well on the ovals this year. I can certainly see him being in the hunt at the 500. He'll continue propping up the back at the R/S-courses though.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Interesting to see how he goes around Indy compared to someone like Special Ed.

Miamijoe55
Favourite Motorsport: Boat racing
Favourite Driver: Duff Daily
Favourite Circuit: Miami Marine Stadium

Post by Miamijoe55 »

Was nice to see him at least competitive
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

Honestly speaking I didn't think that he would be that good after seeing his debut season, but then I remembered that ovals are his specialty.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Jimmie put together his own nice moves compilation from the race.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Not sure what medication he is on, but JJ is saying he is a shot for a win at the Indy 500.
Jimmie Johnson believes he is a chance of winning the Indianapolis 500 after a career-best result in his first IndyCar oval race, at Texas Motor Speedway.

Johnson finished sixth in Race 2 of the season, an improvement of 11 positions relative to his previous personal-best, having run as high as fifth in the final stint.

The seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion described that result as a “relief”, although he had been upbeat on his way to Fort Worth given ovals were his bread and butter before his switch to IndyCar.

While the next three events are road course affairs, the Indianapolis 500 looms in May, and Johnson is not about to dismiss taking victory in the big one as a possibility.

“I feel like that’s an aggressive statement, for sure, but why not? Why can’t we?” he said.

“The 500 is a special race. We’ve seen favourites win, we’ve seen the race won by strategy, first-time winners, a variety of different things that have taken place.”

At 46 years old, the Chip Ganassi Racing driver is around four months younger than Helio Castroneves, who won the Indianapolis 500 for a fourth time just last year.

“Helio is like ages older than me and he won last year,” joked Johnson.

“Really, anything’s possible. Building off [Texas], if I had a poor running or didn’t feel the car, get a sense of the car, I would think the hill to climb during the month of May would be much steeper.
“Why not? Let’s dream big.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/04/06/jo ... polis-500/

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Not sure what medication he is on, but JJ is saying he is a shot for a win at the Indy 500.
Why do you think it's such a long shot though? It's an oval, and one where he's been hugely successful in NASCAR (four wins at the Brickyard 400) and he showed at Texas that he can run pretty well in an Indycar on an oval. Given the month-long prep at Indy, I think he'll mount a formidable challenge.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Not sure what medication he is on, but JJ is saying he is a shot for a win at the Indy 500.
Why do you think it's such a long shot though? It's an oval, and one where he's been hugely successful in NASCAR (four wins at the Brickyard 400) and he showed at Texas that he can run pretty well in an Indycar on an oval. Given the month-long prep at Indy, I think he'll mount a formidable challenge.
Yeah I thought after I had posted that maybe I was being a bit harsh and that given ovals are his thing and his track record at the track..... but I still think that for a win he is dreaming and its just too much of a long shot. I know he did ok at Texas, but I just think Indy is an altogether different occasion. Top 6 maybe but a win, not so sure. A lot of competition with a lot more relevant experience than his.

Your point of a month to get dialled in is very valid though, and something I had not taken on board when I wrote my initial comment.

It will be interesting for sure. I guess in the back of my mind is just how totally underwhelming he was on the road tracks last year.
Im prepared to eat my words. :wink:

julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah I thought after I had posted that maybe I was being a bit harsh and that given ovals are his thing and his track record at the track..... but I still think that for a win he is dreaming and its just too much of a long shot. I know he did ok at Texas, but I just think Indy is an altogether different occasion. Top 6 maybe but a win, not so sure. A lot of competition with a lot more relevant experience than his.

Your point of a month to get dialled in is very valid though, and something I had not taken on board when I wrote my initial comment.

It will be interesting for sure. I guess in the back of my mind is just how totally underwhelming he was on the road tracks last year.
Im prepared to eat my words. :wink:
If he raced like he did at Texas I don't see a reason why he wouldn't have a chance. Personally, I don't think he will win, however, if he can stay out of trouble he could probably run well! :thumbsup: