Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vettel completes track test
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... _comeback/
Vettel said on the testing experience: "Of course, I also keep an eye on other motorsport disciplines and know many drivers who are active in the WEC and Le Mans. At some point, my curiosity was so great that I had the idea of trying it out myself.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 1 month ago
Vettel said on the testing experience: "Of course, I also keep an eye on other motorsport disciplines and know many drivers who are active in the WEC and Le Mans. At some point, my curiosity was so great that I had the idea of trying it out myself.
Shame that the article gives so little factual information and little more detail than we knew.

It would have been good if they had mentioned the fact that Seb took to the track behind the wheel of the No. 5 car, which is shared in the FIA World Endurance Championship by Matt Campbell, Fred Makowiecki and Michael Christensen. It might have been good to read the fact that Vettel, , completed two double stints behind the wheel of the Multimatic-chassised prototype, turning 118 laps and covering 581 kilometers “without any problems” according to Porsche. :wink:

Oh Porsche themselves seemed happy with what he brought to the party in Aragon..... Porsche Penske Motorsport managing director Jonathan Diuguid.had this to say
“Having Sebastian Vettel here is a unique opportunity for the team. He is a four time Formula 1 World Champion.
He has massive experience with hybrid systems and high performance racing cars.

“Having his fresh unique perspective on where the car is and gives feedback on our systems and performances is a unique opportunity. We were happy to have him here.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago
Aty wrote: 1 month ago
Shame that the article gives so little factual information and little more detail than we knew.

It would have been good if they had mentioned the fact that Seb took to the track behind the wheel of the No. 5 car, which is shared in the FIA World Endurance Championship by Matt Campbell, Fred Makowiecki and Michael Christensen. It might have been good to read the fact that Vettel, , completed two double stints behind the wheel of the Multimatic-chassised prototype, turning 118 laps and covering 581 kilometers “without any problems” according to Porsche. :wink:

Oh Porsche themselves seemed happy with what he brought to the party in Aragon..... Porsche Penske Motorsport managing director Jonathan Diuguid.had this to say
“Having Sebastian Vettel here is a unique opportunity for the team. He is a four time Formula 1 World Champion.
He has massive experience with hybrid systems and high performance racing cars.

“Having his fresh unique perspective on where the car is and gives feedback on our systems and performances is a unique opportunity. We were happy to have him here.
Seb has come out of the self-imposed racing retirement. This was for me most important factual point. His mindset of a racer is back. I had not expected any earth shattering results. This is a new discipline for him.

I am not sure how to take MD's comment. Sounds polite, but not in awe. Perhaps result was good but not entirely there what they expected.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Yes, could be PR speak, but I guess the true indicator will be if he has fiuther tests and is considered for a seat with the team at Le Mans. I guess also from Seb's POV he is not being hypocritical of his eco objectives and beliefs, given that the test and indeed all WEC activity through testing, qualifying and racing is all managed using 100% sustainable fuel.

Seb can race in this category with a clear conscience, knowing that he is furthering his own personal beliefs and objectives, whilst at the same time feeding both his passion for motorsport at a professional level, whilst giving his fans the opportunity to support him.. It is WEC's gain that they committed to fully sustainable fuel very early, and from that technology perspective are far more advanced than F1 is or will be in the next couple of years.

Hopefully we will hear news of more tests... better still confirmation that he will take part with the team at this years Le Mans 24hrs. :fingers: :fingers:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

F1 return still not an issue says Vettel
https://www.grandprix.com/news/f1-retur ... ettel.html

He is not saying NO to F1, just not now. His environmental concerns, and kids are more important to him, and I have to respect that. I hope Audi could promote him into a consulting role.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

A few more stories about Seb and his love affair with racing. It's a tease for his fans. Based on daily chatter who goes where, I think it's highly unlikely for him to come back to a team ranked in top 5, if at all. His values are today different. In 2026 things will change, yet perhaps not sufficiently to call F1 clean series. For someone who is officially retired he receives a lot of headlines.

He talks to Toto about Mercedes developments? What was that all about? Maybe it was just one of those things when you ask friend - how is it going in the office?
Vettel CONFIRMS F1 comeback and reveals what's holding it up
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... ing_it_up/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aty wrote: 4 weeks ago A few more stories about Seb and his love affair with racing. It's a tease for his fans. Based on daily chatter who goes where, I think it's highly unlikely for him to come back to a team ranked in top 5, if at all. His values are today different. In 2026 things will change, yet perhaps not sufficiently to call F1 clean series. For someone who is officially retired he receives a lot of headlines.

He talks to Toto about Mercedes developments? What was that all about? Maybe it was just one of those things when you ask friend - how is it going in the office?
Utter clickbait headline with zero substance. That implies he has been on the phone to Toto with a view to a vacancy re Hamilton. This is contrary to what he has actually said which is that he regularly talks with Toto but Seb confirmed that the subject of a seat has NEVER EVEN BEEN MENTIONED, let alone talking about it. The article assumes his reconnecting with Toto is to discuss a return. Nothing but unfounded clickbait. Seb has not reconnected in terms of contact with Toto.... he never disconnected. He confirms his conversations with Toto are nothing new and have been ongoing even before he retired, and more just chats as a close friend, nothing more.

Nothing to read here in terms of any F1 comeback. He still talks of the time the F1 calendar entailed not being with his kids when they are growing up, and has mentioned how anti full time racing his kids are, specifically about Dad not spending much time with them.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago
Aty wrote: 4 weeks ago A few more stories about Seb and his love affair with racing. It's a tease for his fans. Based on daily chatter who goes where, I think it's highly unlikely for him to come back to a team ranked in top 5, if at all. His values are today different. In 2026 things will change, yet perhaps not sufficiently to call F1 clean series. For someone who is officially retired he receives a lot of headlines.

Utter clickbait headline with zero substance. That implies he has been on the phone to Toto with a view to a vacancy re Hamilton. This is contrary to what he has actually said which is that he regularly talks with Toto but Seb confirmed that the subject of a seat has NEVER EVEN BEEN MENTIONED, let alone talking about it. The article assumes his reconnecting with Toto is to discuss a return. Nothing but unfounded clickbait. Seb has not reconnected in terms of contact with Toto.... he never disconnected. He confirms his conversations with Toto are nothing new and have been ongoing even before he retired, and more just chats as a close friend, nothing more.

Nothing to read here in terms of any F1 comeback. He still talks of the time the F1 calendar entailed not being with his kids when they are growing up, and has mentioned how anti full time racing his kids are, specifically about Dad not spending much time with them.
Well summed up.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago

So what you're saying is...

That this is actually the old bait and switch... and he's really going to RBR to replace Max?!?! :shocked: :P

Scoop! :mrgreen:
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

It's tiresome how every article is clickbait now. I just don't read any of them.

Mercedes man to miss Japanese GP, with a picture of the drivers with Toto on the edge of the image, implying it's a driver.
Ricciardo dumped for Japanese GP, but it's actually a FP1 as the teams are obliged to do so.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 4 weeks ago It's tiresome how every article is clickbait now. I just don't read any of them.

Mercedes man to miss Japanese GP, with a picture of the drivers with Toto on the edge of the image, implying it's a driver.
Ricciardo dumped for Japanese GP, but it's actually a FP1 as the teams are obliged to do so.
It was more clickbaity than that.... I saw "Mercedes STAR to miss Japanese GP" which very much implies Lewis or George wont be there. I know Toto owns a chunk of the team but even so he is hardly. a star, and it is nothing but a a click me, click me, click me headline. :annoyed:

"As was the Riciardo dumped for Japanese GP" headline, which again is at best incorrect......dumped says we have torn his air ticket up when the reality is, for a Honda powered team, they have covered the first of their obligations to run a couple of rookies in FP1 at some stage of the year and chosen Japan for the PR benefits of having an all Japanese FP1 driver line up with Yuki joined by Ayumu Iwasa getting a run.

Bloody irritating. :nuts: :aggro:

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I get fed up of the headlines which promise one thing and end up being something else entirely.

I am happy to see Seb smiling and enjoying racing again, plus doing well. I clocked the fact he had a car with a 5 on it too, that made me :happy: :happy:

Will he return to F1? Somehow I doubt it, as long as he's happy with that choice, I wish him well, even if I do still miss him.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

In addition to Vettel, a total of seven Porsche works drivers took part in the endurance test. Matt Campbell (Australia), Michael Christensen (Denmark) and Frédéric Makowiecki (France) will share the Porsche 963 with starting number 5 in the WEC, while Kévin Estre (France), André Lotterer (Germany) and Laurens Vanthoor will drive the sister car with the number 6. They will be joined in Aragon by reigning DTM champion Thomas Preining from Austria.
Seb enjoyed the test, but he admits he is not fully up to speed the car can achieve. Other drivers (colleagues) were helpful and friendly.

More here:
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/ ... st%20year.

Potential return to open wheel racing was neither confirmed, nor rejected. Until that is confirmed, perhaps this thread seems worthwhile keeping alive.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

No, this thread is as pointless as the Horner thread
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

While Sebastian Vettel is still relevant, (to me for one) I am thinking that this thread isn't about F1 anymore and maybe shouldn't be in the F1 section as he's going to be racing in another series potentially.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I think it's an interesting update on an F1 driver. Until he commits to a new series (and we start a new thread appropriately), the little bits of news seem to belong in this thread.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: