Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago What Really Happened to Sebastian Vettel?

Right I have your attention now with the post title! Its just a video title, not mine. :smiley: :wink:

I found this great (for Seb lovers!) 15 minute Seb life story type bio which has only been online for a week from this uploader so thought our resident 'Sebhead', aka @Star might not have seen. I have seen a lot of the bits previously but never all assembled together. It even looks ahead.
(Im not been the biggest Seb fan in the world throughout his career.... but I am a sucker for any race driver vids that show them racing as a kid) :wink: I do find the more laid back retired Seb better say the Seb of the Ferrari years, and I do admire his eco initiatives and in a way his drive to continue with sustainable fuels and the continuation with that of the good old Internal Combustion engine.

This is the quote from the video title.
What Really Happened to Sebastian Vettel?
From becoming the youngest Formula 1 world champion to being surpassed by his own teammate, I'll delve into his incredible rise to the sport and also the true circumstances that led to his incredible downfall at the Scuderia.

I'll also explore his subsequent move to Aston Martin and consider the intriguing possibility of Vettel making a comeback to Formula 1.
Anyway here 'tis.

I just realised I watched this and didn't thank you properly for it. I really enjoyed it and found it very interesting, so a big thanks for posting it. :bow: :thumbsup: :mates: :angelic:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

One for you to be hopeful about @Star. But you might need to start following WEC Sportscars (Le Mans etc).
Its very early days yet, way too soon to say it will happen, but this report in Autosport gives the current status. To say it is speculative is putting it mildly.

However, sustainable fuel is right up Seb's alley so to speak.

The good thing about the WEC my understanding is that the Hypercars at least use sustainable fuel. A bit about the fuel follows.

Vettel in talks with Jota Porsche team about 2024 WEC drive

Sebastian Vettel is in talks with the Jota Porsche team about making a return to the cockpit in the World Endurance Championship next season.
Jota team principal Sam Hignett confirmed to Autosport that the British operation has approached Vettel about joining its expanded two-car Hypercar class assault on the WEC in 2024 with a pair of Porsche 963 LMDh prototypes.

Hignett stressed that discussions with the German about a WEC drive and an attack on the Le Mans 24 Hours remain at an early stage and that no deal has been done.

“We are speaking to Seb, there are discussions, but nothing is done,” he said.

“There isn’t any kind of contract signed and he certainly hasn’t tested one of our cars.”

Vettel, who called time on his F1 career at the end of 2022, has refused to rule out the possibility of some kind of comeback.

He declared that he remained race fit earlier this month and said over the course of a visit to Suzuka for last weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix that he misses “the amazing feeling” of driving an F1 car.

But he poured cold water on a return to F1 in the short-term.

Asked if he was considering a comeback, he said: “Not for now: F1 was the centre to my life for so long, but once you step out, you realise even more how big the rest of the world is, and how small in a way F1 is.”

Jota has made it clear that it is in a position to pick and chose the line-up for its second 963 and that it does not require funded drivers.

The second car, like the first, will be backed by car hire giant Hertz in whose distinctive gold colours it races.

Hignett alluded to the environmental credentials of Jota as being part of its pitch to Vettel, who unveiled a number of bee hotels at Suzuka as part of his ambassadorial role with the BeesandApple environmental project.

“Sustainability is important to us as a team, which is why our hospitality unit at Le Mans was solar powered,” he said.

“We know that is important to Seb as well.”

Hignett revealed that Jota has a “long list of drivers” as it looks to put its two-car Hypercar assault together for next year.

“We are speaking to a lot of people, some who are high up on the list and some others who aren’t so high,” he said.

It is known that another F1 world champion in Jenson Button is on the list, while Hignett again confirmed that Robert Kubica, who is racing in the WEC in P2 with WRT this year, is in discussions with the team.

Jota, a three-time LMP2 class winner at Le Mans, returned to the top flight of sportscar racing this season with the first customer 963 to race in the WEC.

It has never made any secret of its plan to run two Porsches next year and confirmed earlier this month that it already has a second car on order for 2024.
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/vett ... /10525612/

As promised, the bit about the fuel. As an aside, Total Energies sponsors Peugeot in Hypercars, but are the fuel supplier for all WEC Hypercars. (ie the Jota Porsche Team Vettel is talking to.)
TotalEnergies is the official fuel supplier for the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) and for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

TotalEnergies is therefore actively involved in the return of Peugeot Sport to the WEC from last year in the new Hypercar category. The company, via the Elf brand, is equally a partner of Alpine, which returned to LMP2 this year, before entering the Hypercar category in 2024

The ACO has recently redefined the rules for the WEC, introducing stricter constraints for the Hypercar category. Now, the objective is to achieve the best performance while minimising fuel consumption. This revolution reflects the current concerns of both manufacturers and motorists: consuming less and reducing their environmental footprint.

To meet these requirements, and following the Excellium Endurance which contained 10% ethanol from renewable sources (plant waste) and 5% of bio-hydrocarbons, our engineers have created after several months of research and testing, a formula that no longer contains a single drop of petrol: Excellium Racing 100.

Due to its 100% natural origin, Excellium Racing 100 will reduce greenhouse gas emissions from cars on the track by at least 65%**.

Excellium Racing 100 is a true innovation made possible by our engineers’ expertise, and ties into the common values that the company shares with the FIA, namely safety, hybridisation, reduced consumption, low-carbon mobility, etc. As partner and official fuel supplier to the ACO (Automobile Club de l’Ouest), TotalEnergies is again proving its pioneering spirit and quest for performance.

This new fuel, approved by all our stakeholders thanks to the testing phases and discussions with constructors and legislators (FIA, ACO), is now supplied to all competitors in the FIA WEC, including for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and European Le Mans Series.
https://competition.totalenergies.com/e ... %20Sebring.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

@Everso Biggyballies Thanks for making sure I saw that. Sorry it took me so long to do so. It's the week/fortnight from hell here right now and the nasty stuff just keeps showing up!! :tearful:

I am excited about Seb, I promise I am. It sounds just right for him and I will have to try and find a way to watch it if he does get involved. I'll try and keep a look out for more info as and when it comes available. Thanks again my friend :mates: :bow: :angelic:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 7 months ago @Everso Biggyballies Thanks for making sure I saw that. Sorry it took me so long to do so. It's the week/fortnight from hell here right now and the nasty stuff just keeps showing up!! :tearful:
Hope you're okay Star!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 7 months ago
Star wrote: 7 months ago @Everso Biggyballies Thanks for making sure I saw that. Sorry it took me so long to do so. It's the week/fortnight from hell here right now and the nasty stuff just keeps showing up!! :tearful:
Hope you're okay Star!
Thanks, I'm sort of okay, there is just a lot of really stressful stuff going on right now and stress makes my condition much worse, so....

I really appreciate you concern though, thanks :angelic: :mates: :thumbsup:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel

Post by Aty »

Sebastian Vettel has not ruled out a return to racing but admits that his journey since retiring from Formula 1 has made him realise how big the world really is.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/10/14 ... e-smaller/
Yup, so it is.
Return is not in the cards. New generation is waiting for their turn.

I think Seb is taking his minimalistic approach to dwelling quarters a bit too far.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 6 months ago
Sebastian Vettel has not ruled out a return to racing but admits that his journey since retiring from Formula 1 has made him realise how big the world really is.
Yup, so it is.

I think Seb is taking his minimalistic approach to dwelling quarters a bit too far.
That hairline is moving backwards faster than Sergio Perez's career.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago
Aty wrote: 6 months ago
Yup, so it is.

A little mean, but sadly true :tongue:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Star wrote: 6 months ago

He just has a high forehead..... :suspicious: :wink: :sarcasm:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago
Star wrote: 6 months ago

He just has a high forehead..... :suspicious: :wink: :sarcasm:
From people who do track those things:
To be clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a high forehead. In fact, during the Renaissance, a high forehead stood as an emblem of ideal beauty, so much so that women even plucked hair from their hairline to make their foreheads appear larger.
Binotto's helping hand met with massive success.
Rory Stewart
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Men who are bald on top are great thinkers.
Men who are bald on the back of their heads are great lovers.
Men who are bald on the top and the back think they are great lovers.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

no hope for me...

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This will no doubt stir a few emotions and loins of those who pine the absence of Vettel in a race car.

This is not a confirmed drive by any means, but it is a step in the right direction, and it is an avenue that I have always thought should / would be one that suits both his passion for driving, his eco warrior desires and beliefs, and it will also tick off one of his bucket list wannadoo events, the Le Mans 24 hours. (WEC cars use Seb's favourite liquid of choice.... fully sustainable environment friendly race fuel)

It is also in a top level car giving him the opportunity he deserves. More than that its a full Porsche Factory works supported team

He has already apparently spent several hours driving the car on a simulator. He has also driven the real car at the Porsche centre test track

As an aside it would be wonderful for the event from the point of view of attracting some new fans. @Star and @Aty im looking at you.

It is only a test at this stage but from little acorns..... I think Seb will enjoy it without any pangs of conscience and who knows what the outcome will be. Its worth posting at any rate. The Penske team do have a couple of seats to fill in their two car team for this years event in June.

Its clearly a very serious test and not just a PR spin.
Sebastian Vettel to test the Penske Porsche 963 Le Mans Hypercar

* Quadruple Formula 1 world champ drives Le Mans hypercar for the first time
* Porsche Penske Motorsport conducts 36-hour test at Motorland Aragón
* Professional preparation for the test outing in Mannheim and Weissach

The Porsche Penske Motorsport works team and the winner of 53 Formula 1 Grands Prix, Sebastian Vettel, are looking forward to putting the Porsche 963 through its paces. This coming week, the German will take the wheel of the ca. 500 kW (680 PS) hypercar at the Motorland Aragón. Porsche Penske Motorsport forges ahead with its preparations for this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans with a 36-hour long run in Spain. Vettel has already spent extensive time in a simulator to prepare for the Spanish circuit in Aragón. At a rollout of the Porsche 963 on the test track at Porsche’s R&D Centre in Weissach, he turned his first laps in the hybrid prototype.

Sebastian Vettel enters new terrain with this test drive: for the first time, the four-time Formula 1 world champion will gain experience in the cockpit of a hypercar prototype. Since 2023, the Porsche Penske Motorsport works team and private teams have campaigned the Porsche 963 in the North American IMSA sports car series and the FIA World Endurance Championship WEC. After winning three IMSA races last year, Porsche Penske Motorsport succeeded in kicking off the 2024 season with a win in both championships. In the WEC, which also incorporates the Le Mans 24-hour highlight, the entire field including the ca. 500 kW (680 PS) hybrid race car will run on biofuel. This fuel has been used in the WEC since March 2022.

“I’m looking forward to testing the Porsche 963. I already got the chance to get a feel for the car during a rollout in Weissach,” says Sebastian Vettel. “I’ve always followed other racing series and my curiosity for endurance events encouraged me to just give it a shot. Now I’m excited about the long run in Aragón and I’m looking forward to my time behind the wheel. It’ll definitely take an adjustment and some getting used to but everyone in the team is very open and helps me. This will be a new experience for me. We will then see what happens next in this respect – at the moment there are no further plans for the future.”

“We’re delighted that Sebastian Vettel is interested in our Porsche 963,” explains Thomas Laudenbach, Vice President Porsche Motorsport. “There was no question for us that we’d be thrilled to support his request for an opportunity to test and provide him with extensive preparation and plenty of time to drive our hybrid prototype – there’s no doubt we’ll learn a lot from his valuable feedback. Our 36-hour long run with Porsche Penske Motorsport and our works drivers at Motorland Aragón offers a perfect environment for this.”

Vettel has prepared systematically for the test with the Porsche 963. On 14 March, he met the operations crew at the Porsche Penske Motorsport facility in Mannheim. The next day, on 15 March, the German completed an extensive simulator session at Porsche Motorsport. There, he got to know the engineers and familiarise himself with the special features and complex control systems of the Le Mans prototype. On 21 March, he got his first taste of the Porsche 963 on the in-house test track at the Weissach R&D Centre. It proved to be an unusual experience for the 36-year-old: After 299 Grand Prix starts in Formula 1 single-seaters, it had been some time since Vettel had driven a racing car with a roof – previously only at the Race of Champions or turning demo laps.

Next week, Porsche Penske Motorsport will head to the 5.345-kilometre circuit at Motorland Aragón near Alcañiz to conduct a 36-hour long run. Joining Sebastian Vettel for the test are the works drivers Matt Campbell (Australia), Michael Christensen (Denmark), Frédéric Makowiecki (France), Kévin Estre (France), André Lotterer (Germany) and Laurens Vanthoor (Belgium). This endurance test serves as preparation for the highlight of the season in Le Mans on 15/16 June. As the record holder, Porsche aims to secure its 20th outright victory at the Circuit des 24 Heures.

To increase the chances of the desired success, Porsche Penske Motorsport will field a third Weissach-made hybrid prototype at the French endurance classic in 2024. Mathieu Jaminet from France has already been confirmed to helm the No. 4 car. The customer teams Hertz Team Jota and Proton Competition have entered three more Porsche 963 race cars. Two Porsche 911 GT3 R campaigned by Manthey EMA and Manthey PureRxcing will tackle the new LMGT3 category.
https://presse.porsche.de/prod/presse_p ... sport-news

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Oh my goodness @Everso Biggyballies, I just came back to mention this!! Since you have put all the details, I'll just put this up instead. Thanks for that :thumbsup: :bow: :mates:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

I am wondering if his potential comeback gives Audi a pause, despite that Seb wants a car which is in the top five, not last five on the grid.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2024/mo ... 35596.html

No. 5

Rory Stewart
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Vettel completes track test
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... _comeback/
Vettel said on the testing experience: "Of course, I also keep an eye on other motorsport disciplines and know many drivers who are active in the WEC and Le Mans. At some point, my curiosity was so great that I had the idea of trying it out myself.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rory Stewart