Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

White six wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago As much as Sebastian loves F1, I think he's done with it. He might come back, but I don't know that he will. He has a family and a lot of other things that he really wants to do right now. He also sees the major hypocrisy problem with F1 racing compared to his green, save the world beliefs. I think that was also a big part of why he walked away.

Will he come back if they can clean up the sport and make it much greener? I think he could well do so.
Sustainable fuel i his big thing, and he ran his Williams at Silverstone using fully sustainable fuel as a demo of it can be done. The problem is F1 cannot / wont move to fully sustainable fuel until the new engines come into play with fully sustainable fuel as part of the new engine regs. The change to E10 fuel this year (10% ethanol) caused the teams and more so the fuel companies a huge headache and difficulties. Not only that there are now concerns over the partially sustainable fuels we are now using in road cars are not really improving the eco factor due to other issues such as reduced fuel economy and the actual production of the more sustainable fuel is worse than normal fuel.

So a fully sustainable fuel wont happen before 2026, probably too late to be of much interest to Seb.

We have a thread on Fuel and F1 which covers some of the F1 fuel issues here in case anyone is interested : viewtopic.php?t=17476
Remind me, was this totally synthetic fuel?

Obviously biofuels are absolute bollocks. Take fields away from food production and you can produce a lot more energy by sticking solar panels on those fields anyway
Yes, when the cars take to the track for the first time in 2026, they'll do so powered by carbon-neutral synthetic fuels.
Of course the trucks, the travel, the fans etc will still be producing the thousands of tons of CO2 to get there. (apparently 0.7% of F1's cabon footprint is the cars!). However come 2026 we could all be driving to watch the GP in cars using the same synthetic fuel.... (the regs say it must be 100% synthetic and usable by road cars

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

White six wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago As much as Sebastian loves F1, I think he's done with it. He might come back, but I don't know that he will. He has a family and a lot of other things that he really wants to do right now. He also sees the major hypocrisy problem with F1 racing compared to his green, save the world beliefs. I think that was also a big part of why he walked away.

Will he come back if they can clean up the sport and make it much greener? I think he could well do so.
Sustainable fuel i his big thing, and he ran his Williams at Silverstone using fully sustainable fuel as a demo of it can be done. The problem is F1 cannot / wont move to fully sustainable fuel until the new engines come into play with fully sustainable fuel as part of the new engine regs. The change to E10 fuel this year (10% ethanol) caused the teams and more so the fuel companies a huge headache and difficulties. Not only that there are now concerns over the partially sustainable fuels we are now using in road cars are not really improving the eco factor due to other issues such as reduced fuel economy and the actual production of the more sustainable fuel is worse than normal fuel.

So a fully sustainable fuel wont happen before 2026, probably too late to be of much interest to Seb.

We have a thread on Fuel and F1 which covers some of the F1 fuel issues here in case anyone is interested : viewtopic.php?t=17476
Remind me, was this totally synthetic fuel?

Obviously biofuels are absolute bollocks. Take fields away from food production and you can produce a lot more energy by sticking solar panels on those fields anyway
Yes, when the cars take to the track for the first time in 2026, they'll do so powered by carbon-neutral synthetic fuels.
Of course the trucks, the travel, the fans etc will still be producing the thousands of tons of CO2 to get there. (apparently 0.7% of F1's cabon footprint is the cars!). However come 2026 we could all be driving to watch the GP in cars using the same synthetic fuel.... (the regs say it must be 100% synthetic and usable by road cars
Yeah, just reminding myself , made from electrolysis hydrogen and carbon, presumably from the atmosphere. Doable if you can use renewables to make it. I'd still be suspicious though that the electricity could be put to better use. (Not an issue when we achieve an excess of renewable power)
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

I won't be surprised if he comes back to F1 as some high management in Red Bull - within 2 years
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

DownForce wrote: 1 year ago I won't be surprised if he comes back to F1 as some high management in Red Bull - within 2 years
D/T 2022.11.27 / 15:11 (UTC)
I am not sure whether you have seen this:
Red Bull adviser, Helmut Marko, has hinted that former Formula 1 driver, Sebastian Vettel, would slot nicely into a leadership role at the Austrian team.
We had a discussion and I think if he could get a top management position, that might appeal to him. That’s what emerged in the talk.
http://www.f1reader.com/news/vettel-ret ... rko-338507
Helmut is pondering his own future as (soon) 80 years young man.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago
DownForce wrote: 1 year ago I won't be surprised if he comes back to F1 as some high management in Red Bull - within 2 years
Red Bull adviser, Helmut Marko, has hinted that former Formula 1 driver, Sebastian Vettel, would slot nicely into a leadership role at the Austrian team.
We had a discussion and I think if he could get a top management position, that might appeal to him. That’s what emerged in the talk.
My guess wasn't far off :happy:
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

DownForce wrote: 1 year ago
Aty wrote: 1 year ago
My guess wasn't far off :happy:
Yes, it seems so. I was hoping to see him at Hinwil with Andreas or Mike Krack, but for initial high level training Helmut would be definitely most suited for such role as a mentor. The first obsticle ahead is that Helmut needs to sort out his own future at Singapore.
Rory Stewart
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I am never hoping to see Mike Krack.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago I am never hoping to see Mike Krack.
Mike has his hands tied in his current office. I would not hold failures against him. My bet is he will take off at the first chance he gets. Mr. Stroll and Mr. Whitmarsh are running the show at AMR. Mr. Whitmarsh had a lot to say about how deeply he will be involved in running the team. So, we see it now. Seb told them a couple of months ago - hiring big guns alone is not enough. Someone has to put it all together. I gather we will hear more about it from Alonso soon, faithful to his old habits (to speak his mind loud).
Rory Stewart
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago I am never hoping to see Mike Krack.
If he ever dares to show his face, he'll be the butt of all jokes.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

What did Mike do to deserve wrath from the sidelines?
Rory Stewart
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Best for @DoubleFart to explain - he's far closer to him.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I thought Mike Crack said he had put it all behind him.....

@Aty its English toilet humour regarding his name.... pronounced My Crack. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago Best for @DoubleFart to explain - he's far closer to him.
It's a sore subject.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.11.29 / 12:19 (UTC)

Dr. Marko thinks Seb can replace him.
While some ponder Sebastian Vettel's possible return as an F1 driver, Helmut Marko believes the four-time world champion would be the ideal candidate to oversee Red Bull's racing operations
http://www.f1reader.com/news/tag/vettel ... him-338663

Sounds like there are some gifts emerging under the tree for Seb. I am nor sure how realisic that is, but it's nice when people think of you in good terms.
Rory Stewart
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I know women aren't supposed to find toilet humour funny, but I do somtimes :)

If Seb comes back to F1, I doubt it would be as a driver again, but working for a team like that makes a lot of sense. He knows so much of how these things work and he's a perfectionist, the quality you need in F1. I just hope if he does come back he'll sort out his hair and that straggly beard, they do nothing for him in my opinion.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago D/T 2022.11.29 / 12:19 (UTC)

Dr. Marko thinks Seb can replace him.
While some ponder Sebastian Vettel's possible return as an F1 driver, Helmut Marko believes the four-time world champion would be the ideal candidate to oversee Red Bull's racing operations
http://www.f1reader.com/news/tag/vettel ... him-338663

Sounds like there are some gifts emerging under the tree for Seb. I am nor sure how realisic that is, but it's nice when people think of you in good terms.
While I can see him remaining around the sport, I can't see him having a fulltime job for at least a couple of years.

If your rationale for retiring from travelling around the world is spending more time with a young family, then you're going to spend at least a bit of time with them until they drive you up the wall and you try to ghost your way gradually towards other things.