Worst NASCAR / Indycar circuits

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Worst NASCAR / Indycar circuits

Post by PTRACER »

With so many Tilke circuits on the calendar, it's pretty easy for fans to vote for the worst F1 circuit in history....but what about in NASCAR and Indycar?

Are there any ovals, street courses or road courses that American racing fans would look at and say "Why on earth did they race there?"
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Hard to draw the same parallels.

The cars are so equal that the track doesn't make much difference. There is close racing no matter where they race.
However, you could argue that the road track races in NASCAR don't offer the same experience that the ovals do. On the ovals, you get tight pack racing with many, many lead changes. Where on a road track (Sonoma, Watkins Glen, etc.) the race looks more like an open-wheel race with a few lead changes and a much more spread out field. Even then, the racing is much closer than F1 could even dream about. But that's also why I don't get into these series either. The ovals get monotonous.

For me, I rarely watch NASCAR, but I usually try to catch the road tracks (and the new ROval at Charlotte). It's just more fun seeing these guys trying to master road courses with the big cars. And there is usually a unique winner at these events instead of the usual suspects.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

In NASCAR, all 1,5 milers in use today.

Indycar has had plenty of questionable street courses. Houston was lacklustre, Denver likewise (both of them).

Oval racing depends so much at the aero package. Phoenix these last few years was horrid because of that, but Phoenix pre-2005 was a classic. But also for Indycar, the 1,5 milers were usually awful. Those pack racing races got old quickly, and lest we forget that one of them killed Dan Wheldon.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

I feel 2015's race at NOLA was a low-point in Indycar scheduling. The fact that people have been begging for years to go back to quality circuits from CART's golden age and they chose a flat, featureless club track in the middle of a Louisiana swamp with poor drainage and 10 miles worth of runoff area was just depressing. That the race turned into such a massive farce only added insult to injury.

Or you could call it karmic revenge for putting it on the schedule in the first place. Your choice.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

The original Homestead-Miami NASCAR configuration was extremely boring and basically a bigger New Hampshire.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Basically every track in the South was questionable for so many years, as AAA and USAC tried to establish a fanbase there - Lakewood Speedway was always dusty, and that first turn was criminal; Atlanta Speedway was not really suited to Indy cars. Texas World Speedway was substandard as well, I think, but okay-ish.

Also, there was Dover Downs Speedway in Delaware which was bad. Michigan State Fairgrounds was very bad by the fifties, holes and ruts in the surface. Tacoma Speedway in Washington was bad, with gravel filled in between spaced boards. Actually, the longer one thinks the more spring to mind.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 4 years ago I feel 2015's race at NOLA was a low-point in Indycar scheduling. The fact that people have been begging for years to go back to quality circuits from CART's golden age and they chose a flat, featureless club track in the middle of a Louisiana swamp with poor drainage and 10 miles worth of runoff area was just depressing. That the race turned into such a massive farce only added insult to injury.

Or you could call it karmic revenge for putting it on the schedule in the first place. Your choice.
NOLA was pretty interesting, it was so rustic and simple compared to the squeaky clean tracks we see on the F1 calendar.

One circuit that I sometimes wonder about is San José. Do Indycar fans look back at that circuit negatively? I never saw modern openwheelers leaping off the ground over bumps like that before.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

Oh god, Baltimore. what a dumb track. Also San Jose was really stupid, easily the worst track ever thinked.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

The start of San Jose was majestic.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

From an Indycar perspective:

St Pete, it's hugely overrated
Detroit, awful circuit
Toronto, *yawn*
Portland, I don't understand the hype
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

TBH, none of the street circuits in Indycar are great, as in Macau-esque. Today's Long Beach is pretty meh, but it's still a historical venue that we'd be a lot poorer without. St. Pete ain't fun, Detroit is usually a shitshow but I like it, it's kinda fun. Toronto is usually a bore too, but with all these tracks, we need them.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Whatever happened to Cleveland?

Talking of inappropriate NASCAR tracks, I remember watching the Nationwide (?) race at Montreal quite a few years ago, where Jacques Villeneuve was making a cameo. The circuit is one of my favourite in the world, but on that type of circuit, the stock cars looked really awkward.

Although this thread is more about BAD tracks, rather than inappropriate ones. Else we would have to mention Brands Hatch Indy as well.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Whatever happened to Cleveland?
The Burke Lakefront Airport had long been rumoured to have car racing return to it. Years back it was even suggested that Indycar would run a doubleheader event at the circuit, one race using the original circuit with a second race on an oval. More recently it's been speculated that the reduction of air traffic going into and going out of there will result in the airport being shut down and redeveloped into housing or shops, or a combination of.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Walt Disney World Speedway
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 4 years ago Walt Disney World Speedway
Ah yes, the Mickyard. What didn't you like about it?