Your favourite F1 season: the 90s

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.

what is your favourite F1 season from the 90s?

8%
No votes
8%
8%
No votes
No votes
17%
33%
17%
8%

Total votes: 12

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

if you were my wife, I'd file for divorce.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

And if you were my dog, I'd sell you.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

1990 and 1997 were seasons when almost every race had some kind of excitement or entertainment. The cars were also the best looking of the period. Multiple teams had front running performances and chances to win races, there were a few surprises.

1998 and 1999 were poor seasons by comparison (of that decade, not in comparison with today's standards). 1994 is better left forgotten. 1993, 1995 and 1996 had some good races and some nice stories. 1991 was either up or down.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

and 1992 had the most deserving champion, ever.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago and 1992 had the most deserving champion, ever.
Last tache'd champion ever, too
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 years ago And if you were my dog, I'd sell you.
i would leave it in the forest.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 years ago I don't see Senna winning four championships, much less in a row. I think he was pretty much spent in 1994, it wouldn't have made much of a difference.
I don't subscribe to this point of view.
Quite on the contrary, I think Senna was at his peak.
The fact that he was way ahead of Hill makes me believe the championship would have been merely a formality for the Brazilian - certainly once the Williams started behaving less bitchy.

By the way, was it ever released on what strategy Senna was during Imola 94? Schumacher kept up quite well.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago
The fact that he was way ahead of Hill makes me believe the championship would have been merely a formality for the Brazilian - certainly once the Williams started behaving less bitchy.
Not sure where you get your stats from, but at the time of his death Senna trailed Hill, not only in points but also in podiums. And had never been ahead of Hill points-wise in 1994, trailing him from the first race. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago
Antonov wrote: 5 years ago
Not sure where you get your stats from, but at the time of his death Senna trailed Hill, not only in points but also in podiums. And had never been ahead of Hill points-wise in 1994, trailing him from the first race. :wink:
lol, don't be such a hamburger.

You know what I mean. When he kept it on the road (no negatives meant), it was way ahead of Hill, both during qualifying sessions and races.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

That Senna outqualified Hill is no surprise.... Senna was the best qualifier by a quantum leap over anyone. Hill was behind Senna in 3rd when Senna made an error and spun. In the next race, Senna crashed out of the opening lap. At Imola, Hill was 4th, where he had started, but stuck in that position following a Safety Car from the first lap. He was still 4th the next lap when Senna crashed and the race stopped.

Bottom line is Senna did not keep it on the road in any race in 1994. Hill did, finishing Brazil in 2nd place, and having qualified in 3rd at the Pacific GP suffering a gearbox failure having climbed up to 2nd after a spin dropped him to 9th when trying to pass Hakkinen... Senna of course made a slight error again and crashed out on the opening lap. :wink: :smiley:

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago That Senna outqualified Hill is no surprise.... Senna was the best qualifier by a quantum leap over anyone. Hill was behind Senna in 3rd when Senna made an error and spun. In the next race, Senna crashed out of the opening lap. At Imola, Hill was 4th, where he had started, but stuck in that position following a Safety Car from the first lap. He was still 4th the next lap when Senna crashed and the race stopped.

Bottom line is Senna did not keep it on the road in any race in 1994. Hill did, finishing Brazil in 2nd place, and having qualified in 3rd at the Pacific GP suffering a gearbox failure having climbed up to 2nd after a spin dropped him to 9th when trying to pass Hakkinen... Senna of course made a slight error again and crashed out on the opening lap. :wink: :smiley:
Senna didn't make a mistake in Aida, unless you're counting his slight wheelspin off the line which allowed Schumacher to get ahead of him. Going into turn one he was hit up the rear by Hakkinen, spun and collected by Larini in the Ferrari. It was one of many first corner first lap incidents that Hakkinen suffered through 1994 that would eventually see him banned for the Hungarian GP. Additionally, Hill's 'spin' a few laps into the Pacific GP was also caused by Hakkinen.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The wheelspin allowed Schu to get ahead of Ayrton who lifted off early, catching Mika unawares with his resultant running into Ayrton. Certainly more Mika's fault than Ayrton's I agree. Also agree that Mika caused Hills spin at Aida. I must confess I always felt Mika was a bit over rated. Great on his day, just not enough days.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Senna was past his best, and he was thirty points behind Schu - no way he was going to make that up, even supposing he wasn't going to miss a race or two. He was already beginning to act desperately because the Schu had rattled his cage in no uncertain manner (like his suspicions about Benetton traction control, and the accident itself), and I doubt he would have been able to fight back like Hill did. Senna wasn't anything as emotionally stable as Hill was. If things didn't go his way, he would act like a child, throw tantrums and apportion blame. That's not the way to turn things around. Williams needed a Hill to get their act together in '94, with Senna it would not have been possible. You Senna fans act like he was a god, just because he took qualifying so excessively serious, but Senna's pole positions mean nothing, except that he lost more races than anyone else when he had the fastest car. He was far, far from perfect.
Last edited by Michael Ferner 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Antonov wrote: 5 years agoBy the way, was it ever released on what strategy Senna was during Imola 94? Schumacher kept up quite well.
Strategy D, for desperation.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 years ago Senna was past his best, and he was thirty points behind Schu - no way he was going to make that up, even supposing he wasn't going to miss a race or two. He was already beginning to act desperately because the Schu had rattled his cage in no uncertain manner (like his suspicions about Benetton traction control, and the accident itself), and I doubt he would have been able to fight back like Hill did. Senna wasn't anything as emotionally stable as Hill was. If things didn't go his way, he would act like a child, throw tantrums and apportion blame. That's not the way to turn things around. Williams needed a Hill to get their act together in '94, with Senna it would not have been possible. You Senna fans act like he was a god, just because he took qualifying so excessively serious, but Senna's pole positions mean nothing, except that he lost more races than anyone else when he had the fastest car. He was far, far from perfect.
:agreepost:

There is no doubt that he was great still over one qualy lap, but as they say, no points for pole.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I think there's some grasping at straws going on here. It is fair to say that maybe Senna wasn't at his 1988 or 1990 peak, however he was still highly motivated and ferociously fast. Let's remember he only did one race in 1994 (Aida and Imola not included), so the judgement that he was past his peak is false as it's based on nothing.

At Brazil both Senna and Schumacher were in a class of their own. Both were over a second quicker than anyone else in qualifying and in the race were much the same before Senna's spin. Senna made the mistake late in the race because he was over-driving a tricky handling Williams in order to keep up with a questionably legal Benetton. He could have settled for second, but we know that's wasn't in his make-up.