Chicanes (And their excess kerbing)

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Tom
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Tom »

Bottom post of the previous page:

It's a good chicane, because the tyres on the outsides are significant enough to cause damage or a crash if they are hit!

At the moment, the FIA seem to think the scariest bollards in the world are long strips of plastic painted red and white that flap uselessly in the wind.

Put small blocks of hollow concrete at each apex, and you'll solve your problem of cars cutting chicanes!

However, you might have to pit for more than a new tyre or front wing if you hit one.
Berti
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Berti »

Tom wrote:Yeh it's a shame.

Or if your Zsolt Baumgartner...:
Thats more likely Pantano or Bruni :twisted:
Nice Drawn lmao
<= Because he's eight, James May likes to invent games he can play when he's not in the bath mending motorcycles or being made to practice the piano by his mother.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I'm just watching a re-run of the F3000 race at Monza. Three people were racing each other, 3 wide into the first chicane, two of them ran wide onto the grasscrete, got no advantage whatsoever, yet one of them still got a penalty for jumping the chicane.

I think that's just absolutely fucking ridiculous :evil: I'm not surprised why the cars in F1 don't race each other; they'll probably break a load of rules in doing so!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Do you think that a thin line of grass should be put round the edges of the circuit, where they've decided to use tarmac run-off areas?

The lines might as well be invisible, because at so many circuits, the drivers like to go a little faster round the corners and just run off the circuit. A strip of grass alongside the track, a metre or so wide, would probably discourage cars to take to the run off areas to gain more speed.

They should replace the areas of grasscrete with actual grass.

The big sleeping policeman on the grasscrete at Monza just damages the underside of the cars. If they replaced it with real grass, drivers would DEFINITELY be discouraged from taking the corner too fast.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

The nurburgring is a prime example of using too much kerb and track - about turn 3 exit. Valencia, yes it needs low kerbs for bikes, but the cars cut way too much - look at the GP2 this year.
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

I've seen the Hockenheim ring, before 1999 and now. I think it's just another way of the "wimping" of some series...sure some rumble strips are fine...but to what some tracks do...especially the Hock with turn 1a...wow... :roll:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

Force them to drive ON the track!!!!
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

The track constructor should go back and make more sandtraps and not those ugly tar runoffs. As fo the chicanes a pretty high curb should be used like those on the old Variante Alta at Imola.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

StrtRacrZ wrote:I've seen the Hockenheim ring, before 1999 and now. I think it's just another way of the "wimping" of some series...sure some rumble strips are fine...but to what some tracks do...especially the Hock with turn 1a...wow... :roll:
Yeah, that's ridiculous. The drivers don't even TRY to use the track, they all just take to the tarmac run-off areas.

Alucard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Alucard »

PTRACER wrote:Yeah, that's ridiculous. The drivers don't even TRY to use the track, they all just take to the tarmac run-off areas.
Heh, it's funny when you're looking at the cars from the front and from a shallow angle - 'Oh no, he's gone off, he's go... AH, HE'S JUST USING THE GIMPY RUNOFF AREA HA-HA!'. Sometimes they drive almost a car's width off the tarmac which just goes on to show how ridiculous the situation has become.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Do you remember who's idea it was to use tarmac run-off areas? Something tells me it was Mr. Tilke's idea :roll:

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

PTRACER wrote:Do you remember who's idea it was to use tarmac run-off areas? Something tells me it was Mr. Tilke's idea :roll:
After Greg Moores fatal accident at Fontana in 1999, many ovals started to use tarmac instead of grass on the infield. If there were tarmac instead of grass when Moore crashed, he probably wouldnt roll over and would probably still be alive.

Its a good idea to use tar instead of grass or sand on ovals, but on road-courses, a sandtrap is the most fair option.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

They've paved over grass on NASCAR tracks for a different reason...rollovers...but that was only on the ovals, and for the higher speed areas where most cars spin 'n roll. None come into play, even the Glen has these now, but probably for Cheeveer's reasons.
SB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by SB »

Alucard wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Yeah, that's ridiculous. The drivers don't even TRY to use the track, they all just take to the tarmac run-off areas.
.... Sometimes they drive almost a car's width off the tarmac which just goes on to show how ridiculous the situation has become.
Reminds me the old A1 Ring , first corner I think , no one stays on the race track there, all are gone more than a car's width off
Swen
http://www.gplracer.eu/ = GPL65 GPL 66 and TC's / My GPL Rank