VASC(Virgin Aus. SuperCars) 2017 Discussion

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Barbagallo is this weekend.
Race 1 and 2 were both won by Winterbottom. Whincup had a shit qualifying performance in race 1 and ended up in the middle of the pack at the end of the race, before coming 2nd in the 2nd race. Both races were pretty boring.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Davison won race 3, his first win for Erebus. It was boring early on but got more interesting in the second half or so. It was also another terrible race for Whincup, who finished a lap down in 19th.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Pretty good race I thought. FPR were really shafted, a shame since they did the weekend perfectly until the SC.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote:Pretty good race I thought. FPR were really shafted, a shame since they did the weekend perfectly until the SC.
I reckon Lowndes would have won without the SC as he would have stopped a few laps later to suit the optimum stint on the soft tyres, with the FPRs committed to their hard (I think) tyres Lowndes would have caught and passed the FPRs pretty easy, and not had the tyres die those two laps from the end. I would like to seen him get the 100th win. It was good to see the Erebus car some through though..... the team and Davidson did well and they really needed some good results finishes to help them get some more sponsorship to keep them running.

It was a decent race though, and it is always good to see Whincup have a bad weekend though.

In other news the Supersprint format is likely to be changed maybe even for the next round,as a proposal to merge the two 60km heats into a single, 120km race will soon be put to the V8 Supercars Commission. The The four 60km encounters run across Symmons Plains and Barbagallo have however been distinctly devoid of action among the front-runners.

A combined total of just two top five passes have been made after the opening lap in the four sprint races held to date, with the top two running unchanged on each occasion. James Warburton (V8SC CEO) will put a case to the Commission to go to from the two 60k races to potentially a single 120km race with one stop for tyres.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/05/15/sup ... ommission/

we could really do with a facepalm smiley for situations such as these
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Or maybe we need a knee jerk one? :dunno:

(I see they are now thinking of forcing the use of the Soft compound tyre for the sprint (60Klm) races.
The more obvious replacement of the 2 x 60 klm sprints with a single 120 klm race on the Saturdays has no chance of happening due to the TV contracts and sponsors)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Speedcafe about Race 1 today wrote:
No passes took place within the top 16 after the opening lap shuffle.
Says it all really.
Mostert won race 1, Winterbottom race 2. Rick Kelly drove quite well in the second race, coming home 2nd. In race 2 there was some first lap sheningans (in true Winton style) involving Courtney spinning out his teammate, Heimgartner spinning and a couple of cars getting knocked out of the race in the process (Tander and Holdsworth.) So a terrible day for the Walkinshaw team, and it wasn't that great a day for Red Bull either, they just weren't super competitive.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Race 3 today was a reasonably good race, featuring some good racing and unexpected twists.
Winterbottom won after holding off Fabian Coulthard. Lowndes was 3rd after leading at different points. Caruso charged in the end to take 4th, and Pye drove well to take 8th for DJRTP, getting as high as 4th at one point. Whincup only managed a 10th after a pretty average day by his standards, and Mostert finished last after spinning off and putting his Falcon on top of the tires while leading the race.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

So yesterday was slightly berserk at Hidden Valley, with 7 spin-offs during the course of the 21 lap first race. The second race was slightly less crazy, but did see a small pileup.
Mostert avoided all the carnage in the first race to win from his teammate and a bunch of Nissans, while Lowndes became the first driver to win 100 races in V8SC/ATCC history in the second, appropriately in the 888th race in the championship's history. Good runs were seen by Scott Pye and Tim Slade. Fabian Coulthard, meanwhile, must have been extremely pissed as he got taken out by drivers' outbreaking themselves in both races at the first corner of the first lap. Whincup had a very bad day by his standards, being one of the drivers to take out Coulthard (in the first race) and landing up 16th at the end, while getting caught up in the pileup and finishing 11th at the end.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Race 3 was a lot more sensible.
Reynolds won after going off track at one point. Mostert was 2nd and Coulthard got 3rd. It was a pretty sedated race, not an awful lot happened and it was mostly decided by strategy.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Race 1 of the Townsville 400 is in the record books.
It was a bit of a PRA benefit race at times but generally it wasn't that bad a race. Winterbottom won after holding off Reynolds, who had a look down the inside of him on the second to last lap. Coulthard charged at the end and came home 3rd. McLaughlin finally had a good race this year coming home 4th, as did Pye who was right behind him. Whincup landed up 9th after getting screwed over a bit by his strategy. Mostert was fast but went too long on soft tyres and got passed by several cars in the latter stages of the race. Van Gisbergen charged from the back of the grid after a penalty to take 10th, and Lowndes wasn't really anywhere.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

No need to post spoilers in this thread btw :tongue: I haven't watched a single V8SC race this year.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Me too sadly. But somehow i have no interest.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Unless Simon says (ha) there's a fantastic race that can't be missed......but then I'm barely keeping up with F1 this season. And I'm still yet to watch the Toronto IndyCar race, let alone the more recent ones.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

You haven't been missing a massive amount... it has been an different season in some ways, with Triple 888 having a very bad season by their standards. And while there have been some good races (the Saturday races at Hidden Valley were quite frankly mental), there have been some atrociously bad ones (Winton race 1 was literally one of the worst motor races I have ever seen.)