Motorsport is quickly committing suicide

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

Bottom post of the previous page:

NASCAR has always been shown by different channels so how can that be an argument? Early 80s seasons were covered by 6-8 channels, probably even more.

Of course you'll have the rich and good looking. Just like they did in the 50s, 60s and 70s. You think Moss was poor when he began?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: American motorsport is entirely separate to the rest of the world as well. I personally believe Indycars to be one of the best single seater motorsport series in the world and in some ways I wish it was international, like Formula 1.
They tried to (Japan and Surfers, plus European races but either they were asking too much money to run or not giving enough value for what they are getting). Plus of course ultimately it depends on the TV deals it gets. That's where the real money is and that all comes back to ratings, and demographics, to an extent more than the quality of the racing. Of course people will be less interested if the TV is cap and the racing boring. As they say, nowadays is not so much about the pure racing, but about the entertainment and giving a broader sense of appeal, trying to attract the right people.

Didnt they refer to Indycars as a World Championship Series, but only ran at North American tracks and had

Just remembered they still have a race in Brazil I think(?) But that is no World Series Maker. Maybe it is watched on TV Worldwide. (Is it though, and if it is how many do watch?) Surely that is not enough to justify a World Championship Tag. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

They did indeed call it the Champ Car World Series I believe. Look at it this way. They race on bumpy street courses. They race on road courses. They race on small ovals. They race on superspeedways.

Racing at Brands Hatch was a mistake, but I can imagine races at circuits like Montreal, Interlagos, Suzuka, Spa etc. would be great. I just realised how much the current F1 calendar sucks.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

They did race at Montreal, didn't they?

Also, as far as 'world whatever' titles go, wasn't the ill-fated race at Las Vegas called 'Indycar World Championship'?
Everso Biggyballies wrote:Just remembered they still have a race in Brazil I think(?) But that is no World Series Maker. Maybe it is watched on TV Worldwide. (Is it though, and if it is how many do watch?) Surely that is not enough to justify a World Championship Tag. :wink:
They do race at Brazil still, in fact it was a cracker of a race this year. But no, racing in three countries on two continents doesn't really a world championship make.

As far as TV viewing goes... I guess there is a decent following in the UK and probably Brazil as well, but apart from those countries I doubt there are many viewers. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the international viewer number actually exceeds the US numbers.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

In my opinion the too many feeder single car formulas of last past years killed my interest in lower formulae. Probably i also have less time than in 2005. But i disagree with ptracer. Formula 1 races nowdays are the best than ever. I ve been watching almost every race since 94 and i don t remember that back in those days the podium was uncertain until the last 10 laps. Moreover the canadian gp was the most watched tv program last subday in the italian tv (even if alonso was starting by a poor 6th place on the grid).
My point is that with such an interesting top formula it s only time for the feeder ones to reorganise. There s a lot of crap down there. The biggest problem is that the lowest formula shouldn t be full racing specs like current but they should use mods in certain parts to reduce cost and allow the best talents to compete and express
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: late 70s - early 00s

Post by Dave »

If there is one thing NASCAR has nothing to worry about it is talent pools.
Kyle Larson (Who needs a lot of work, but does have talent), Ty Dillon and who else?

Theres a reason we've had drivers like Kevin Conway, Andy Lally, And Stephen Leicht win ROTY recently.

None of the lower tier drivers are any good to get rides.
The developement is in my opinion ok. Good looking cars, much more STOCKcar than those late models. At least they look like the cars they are derived from.
I am not talking about the cars, I am mostly talking about how the schedule is quickly becoming an almost exact mirror of the Sprint Cup Series. Gone are tracks like Millwaukee, Pikes Peak, Memphis, Nashville.......etc........etc..... It's really continuing the ruining of the product, by allow more cup drivers to win and take up space.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

caneparo wrote:Formula 1 races nowdays are the best than ever. I ve been watching almost every race since 94 and i don t remember that back in those days the podium was uncertain until the last 10 laps.
I don't disagree that they are more action-packed than races were say, 5 years ago, but it depends on whether you care about the purity of the sport or not. The podium is uncertain until the last 10 laps because of the tyres, as soon as Pirelli fix them, the uncertainty will be gone. It's the same with DRS and KERS...You can push to pass but you can't push to defend. F1 is the only form of motorsport where you're not allowed to defend push to pass. And F1 claims to have the greatest drivers in the world, it claims to be the best motorsport in the world. And yet nearly every corner on every circuit is now a big tarmac car park with white lines painted on it. The direction F1 has gone in makes me rather sad.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

No part or section or formula in motorsport is pure. Nor ever has been.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Dave wrote:
I am not talking about the cars, I am mostly talking about how the schedule is quickly becoming an almost exact mirror of the Sprint Cup Series. Gone are tracks like Millwaukee, Pikes Peak, Memphis, Nashville.......etc........etc..... It's really continuing the ruining of the product, by allow more cup drivers to win and take up space.
I agree with that. The Nationwide and CWTS should drive the more smaller tracks. Also to prevent the Cup drivers to do a double duty. Also that is why a lot of talents are not in the NWS.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: late 70s - early 00s

Post by Dave »

erwin greven wrote:Also that is why a lot of talents are not in the NWS.
I think thats more due to sponsor being to gun-shy to run with a young driver. Especially after the mid-2000s produced a dearth of mediocrity, such as Joel Kauffman, Todd Kluever or Burney Lamar.