Bioshock

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
manny
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber, Max Verstappen,
Favourite Circuit: Le Mans

Post by manny »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I never liked Bioshock. Sure the graphics are nice for it times, special the water. But then again, every game in the 360/ps3 era had nice looking water. So it looks like, it wasn't so hard to do after all.

Like you Paul, i played this game the 1st time 2013. And after some months i sold it, cause it was so repetitive.
WIP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

manny wrote: 6 years ago I never liked Bioshock. Sure the graphics are nice for it times, special the water. But then again, every game in the 360/ps3 era had nice looking water. So it looks like, it wasn't so hard to do after all.

Like you Paul, i played this game the 1st time 2013. And after some months i sold it, cause it was so repetitive.
Only played infinite. But it had a lot going for it.

The storyline was fantastic, the characters were awesome, and the villains perfect. The atmosphere was intense and the world was beautiful. Not to mention Elizabeth, and the potions you could pick up (Murder of crows was my favorite.

And Songbird too, Songbird was great. I still get chills when I hear Songbirds calling song. Songbirds death at the end was one of the saddest moments I've have played through in a game. The Devs did an amazing job first portraying Songbird as a villain, only to drop the bomb that he was just as much of a victim as Booker and Elizabeth.

And, of course, the final battle and plot twist was just epic.

But in the end, it just dragged on. It was so linear, with so many repetitive missions. Mafia 3 was let down in the same way. There were some fantastic battle sequences, but you could do them all the same way.

Booker - catch!
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bioshock from memory was a bit of a grind at times, but had great atmosphere and overall story. The mechanics were fine as well.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

'hol up

I had no idea there was a remaster for Bioshock. With updated, better looking Bioshock I and II, and Infinite including all DLCs running in Glorious 60 FPS.

I'm getting this tomorrow.

There's always a man, there's always a city, there's always a lighthouse. I have a hard on for Elizabeth.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Downloaded the entire remastered version. Playing Infinite again, it's a completely different experience. I understand the game and the battle sequences and the story line much better now. I've learned to use the different vigors and how to combine them, such as using Undertow to create a flash flood, and then shock jockey to electrify the water.

This game is even better than I remember.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Playing ps4?
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Antonov wrote: 6 years agoPlaying ps4?
Yep.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

cool. I will join you. Never played any of the games - would you recommend them?
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Antonov wrote: 6 years ago cool. I will join you. Never played any of the games - would you recommend them?
I've only played infinite so far, I'll play one and two as soon as I finish Infinite. But it's fantastic. The story line is amazing, the battle sequences with the sky-lines and vigors are unique. And the ending will absolutely blow you away.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Three years later, I finished Infinite again yesterday.

Now that I understand the game better, I think it was simply too much to digest the first time around.

Mark my words when I say that this is, probably, the best game of all times, when it comes to combat sequences, story, plot twists, and pure atmosphere. There really is nothing like it. And there will probably never be again. The characters are sublime, the thought-provoking dialogue, Columbia itself, the vigors, you name it.

The only thing perhaps dragging it down is the somewhat slow middle sector, but when the game ramps up for the grand finale, you forget it. I hope Ken Levine still holds the rights for the Bioshock series and gives us a fourth game, as unlikely as it seems.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I'm yet to play Infinite (and I'm still muddling my way through Bioshock 1), but I'd agree that Infinite is probably one of the best games of all times. It's typically steampunk, but the way it's executed is genius. The art/design is just mind-blowing and so unique.

I remember the day Bioshock first came out. I was working in a PC shop. The manager bought the game and fired it up on the computer and our jaws just dropped. It looks a bit clunky and low-res now, but it's still utterly beautiful and brilliant.

I NEED to complete it ffs.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

PTRACER wrote: 6 years ago I'm yet to play Infinite (and I'm still muddling my way through Bioshock 1), but I'd agree that Infinite is probably one of the best games of all times. It's typically steampunk, but the way it's executed is genius. The art/design is just mind-blowing and so unique.

I remember the day Bioshock first came out. I was working in a PC shop. The manager bought the game and fired it up on the computer and our jaws just dropped. It looks a bit clunky and low-res now, but it's still utterly beautiful and brilliant.

I NEED to complete it ffs.
There is a complete remaster out now, released last year. Full 60 FPS glory, I doesn't look clunky and low-res anymore.

The remaster gives you all three games including DLCs for 30 odd quid.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

and you play PS4, right?

jeez, I really need to start playing this. Although I will probably play in sequence of release: Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite.

Will post some screens as I go along, how does that sound?
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Go ahead, but please use spoiler tags if you do. I only just started playing Bioshock 1 yesterday.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

you didn't answer my question :D