Journalist damages Piper's Porsche 917k - loses court battle

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Journalist damages Piper's Porsche 917k - loses court battle

Post by PTRACER »

I read on the internet that racing driver-come-journalist Mark Hales missed a gear while track testing David Piper's Porsche 917k at Cadwell Park for Octane Magazine and over-revved the engine. Although insurance was there to cover crash damage, it didn't cover mechanical damage...

Piper took Hales to court and sued him for not only the £40,000 it cost to fix the engine, but also £65,000 in court fees. Mark Hales is going to end up filing for bankruptcy and will probably lose his house. David Piper meanwhile has already sold the Porsche for a whopping £1.25 million.

I think this is just disgusting.

Article here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/cla ... lodes.html#
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Saw this earlier, it's just plain wrong.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Was it worth it? He got to drive a Porsche 917K after all! But yeh, not really cool by Piper.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

It doesn't make Piper look like a good guy that's for sure.

From what I understand, he was short shifting from 2nd to 3rd, but the 3rd didn't sync properly and it threw it out (back into neutral?). The engine revs hit 8200rpm, which was above the 7000rpm Piper's mechanics told him to use, but below the rev limit of the engines back in the day. So there's a good chance the engine hadn't been maintained properly anyway.

The gear selection problems were a design fault with the car and they had the same problems driving the thing back in the day. Anyone could have made that 'mistake', professional or otherwise.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

the court fees excess the settlement? wow!
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Yup. Mark has his own fees to pay as well. £120,000 plus. Awful amount of money.

Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

If you are going to drive a car that you cannot pay the repairs for make sure you have an insurance. That's where the real mistake was made...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Mark Hales and David Piper apparantly made a gentlemans agreement that if any damage was caused during the test then Hales wouldn't be held responsible. But when Hales called upon this Piper claimed no agreement existed.

Also, a saving grace for Hales is that an Octane fan set up a fund that other fans could donate into to help cover the costs he owes.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

40.000 pounds for the engine is a lot of money really. Who can fix such an engine?
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Sam wrote:If you are going to drive a car that you cannot pay the repairs for make sure you have an insurance. That's where the real mistake was made...
They did have insurance, but the insurance company wriggled out of paying saying the damage was not a result of an accident.

Several years ago I found this out to my cost too, I was told back then that as soon as the engine blew, I should have "lost control" and crashed the car into the nearest wall backwards, then the engine damage would have been covered by the insurance.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Have you had an engine blow on you?

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

yeah couple times.