[WRC/IRC] 2012 Season - BMW Mini to split with Prodrive?

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Bottom post of the previous page:

kals wrote:This type of arguement has been going on for many years and will never go away. My opinion is that both disciplines require such differing driving styles that you cannot say one is harder than the other or that one driver from either racing or rallying is more talented than another. You can try to equalise things by sticking them in matching cars at the ROC, but the race will still effectively be more favourable to one driver than the other.
:agreepost:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I see we have DSQ's from WRC wins, and all sorts of odd things in the Rally of Portugal held over the weekend.

In a nutshell, Loeb crashed out on day 1, breaking the roll change meaning no super rally re-entry. Latvala did the same, as did Solberg, but were able to restart. In the end Hirvonen won fairly easily from Ostberg and Novikov. Unbelievable. A rally of terrible conditions and one in which many of the very top drivers crashed out..... and Novikov did not, and ended up in 2nd place on the podium.

Solberg fought back to be classified 3rd after the exclusion of Hirvonen. He now trails Loeb by just 4 points in the WRC title chase.

Re the DSQ, the result turnaround was announced nearly 8 hours after the rally finished, brought the following statement from Citroen, and also confirmation that they will be appealing the decision.
...... However, a report prepared by the FIA technical delegate afterwards confirmed the Citroen DS3 WRC Hirvonen took to victory was using a clutch that did not comply with the car’s homologation documentation.”

Xavier Mestelan-Pinon, Citroen Racing technical director and deputy team principal, said: “The scrutineers identified differences between the homologation sheet and two components: the clutch and the turbocharger. The Citroen DS3 WRCs clutch mechanisms are homologated with lightening holes. Our supplier recently provided us with a batch of parts that were not perforated and one of them was fitted to the No.2 DS3 WRC [of Hirvonen]. These parts don’t provide any gain in terms of performance, as they are heavier than those, which are homologated.

He continued: “Regarding the turbocharger, which is a standard part on all World Rally Cars, the wheel turbine dimension exceed the maximum authorised. This difference comes from dilatation, as the wheel is subject to extreme temperature and rpm factors.”

Matton, the Citroen team principal, added: “We had no intention whatsoever to cheat and the decision appears out of proportion. Given the fact that the reported differences didn’t bring us any advantage, we’ve decided to appeal. At the moment, most of all I feel sorry for Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen, who produced a superb performance on a particularly difficult rally. They really deserved their first win with us. All I can do, on behalf of the entire team, is offer my sincere apologies for this situation. I hope that Mikko and Jarmo will have the chance to top the podium again very soon. ”
So Loeb is making a habit of crashing out of late.... must be feeling the pressure.

Actually a couple of facts arising.... (I wonder if Antonov reads this section of the forum?) :tongue:

* Evgeniy Novikov became the first Russian to gain a WRC podium finish.

Additionally the crew were also to break two age records:

* Novikov at 21y 6m 13d of age, is believed to be the youngest ever WRC podium getter

Denis Giraudet, his co-driver, at 56y 3m 16d, is the oldest to have ever been on the WRC podium. :thumbsup:

Final Confirmed Results. (Subject to appeal)
(M = eligible for manufacturer points)

1 10 M. ØSTBERG 4:21:16.1 0.0 0.0
2 6 E. NOVIKOV M 4:22:49.3 +1:33.2 +1:33.2
3 4 P. SOLBERG M 4:23:11.7 +22.4 +1:55.6
4 7 N. AL-ATTIYAH M 4:27:21.9 +4:10.2 +6:05.8
5 21 M. PROKOP 4:27:25.3 +3.4 +6:09.2
6 18 D. KUIPERS 4:28:03.4 +38.1 +6:47.3
7 15 S. OGIER 4:28:25.1 +21.7 +7:09.0
8 8 T. NEUVILLE M 4:29:54.0 +1:28.9 +8:37.9
9 16 J. KETOMAA 4:31:08.9 +1:14.9 +9:52.8
10 17 P. VAN MERKSTEIJN (JR) 4:31:27.1 +18.2 +10:11.0
11 37 D. SORDO 4:33:39.8 +2:12.7 +12:23.7
12 9 D. OLIVEIRA M 4:36:18.4 +2:38.6 +15:02.3
13 3 J. LATVALA M 4:38:18.7 +2:00.3 +17:02.6
14 5 O. TÄNAK M 4:38:31.2 +12.5 +17:15.1
15 12 A. ARAÚJO M 4:42:20.0 +3:48.8 +21:03.9

Some BRILLIANT night stuff in this, including On board of Loeb's off.... love the little yelp as the car comes to a halt.... (No one was injured so although it sounded in pain) and. Shows Latvala as well, being interviewed and saying this was his opportunity to show he can finish a rally under pressure etc. Oooops. :oops:
DAY 1

DAY 2
Fords just wanna crash out!

DAY 3

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

I'm gutted for Hirvonen. He did a solid job over the weekend while everyone else was making mistakes and then a ridiculous mistake by the team causes him to get disqualified. We'll see how the appeal goes, but I don't expect him to keep his win.

It's ever so slightly ironic that this should happen to Mikko on this particular date... In 2007, also on 1st of April and in Portugal, he was handed a five minute penalty because all M-Sport entered Fords had rear side windows that were too thin by half a millimeter, which cost Mikko a podium.

Due to all factory drivers throwing their points away Östberg more or less inherited the win, but it was a solid drive so one can't take too much away from him. Same for Novikov, who continues his impressive season, although he did manage to crash in Mexico. Big time. But he seems to have got his consistency back, hopefully he can maintain that.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Latvala out of the next rally, broken collarbone.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

That's too bad but atleast his championship hopes were already in tatters anyway.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Dani Sordo is replacing Latvala for Rally Argentina. Good to see the Spaniard being given the seat. Hopefully he'll do more with it.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Can't wait to see how Sordo will do. I think he is quite underrated as a driver, due to being Loeb's number two for so many years. This could be a proper chance for him to prove himself.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Hard to believe Sordo has not won one yet as he was tantalizing close a number of times. Hopefully he does it this week.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The WRC is getting deeper into crisis.

This week alone Nokia has withdrawn from sponsoring the series and now a number of event organisers have threatened to withdraw from the championship - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100020

How much longer before WRC dies and is taken over (or merged with) IRC?
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

IRC has already merged (more or less) with the European Rally Championship, so I think that scenario can be forgotten...

This is still continuation on the whole mess that NOS leaving caused at the start of the year. Jarmo Mahonen (head of the World Rally Commission) says that a new promoter deal is going to be published two weeks from now, and I guess that would be a reason why the deals have been sent out and there is such a big hurry to get them done quickly. We'll see what happens if the organizers don't want to agree to the proposed contracts, but I have no doubt that this is going to be sorted out, at least for the important events. It's in nobody's best interest to lose them; The events need their annual WRC status (apart from Monte, which is the only event strong enough to stand on it's own, as it has demonstrated) and the WRC needs it's marquee events.

Interesting times ahead...

In other news, Auto Motor und Sport reports today that Hyundai is returning to WRC in 2013 with an i2. That would be nice to see, although the timing of the news is ever so slightly suspicious...
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

That's because everyone is now watching it on TV. Oh wait, no they're not!
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

24 year old Gareth Roberts (co-driver for Craig Breen) has died following an accident on the Targa Florio round of the IRC. The car struck a guardrail on the right hand side and witnesses described the incident as very similar to the one that befell Robert Kubica.

The rally was abandoned.

RIP to Gareth.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Awful :(

Worst thing is that it was probably very painful and not an immediate death as the intrusion would be Ribcage height.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Tragic to lose someone at a such a young age. :(

It hasn't been a good early summer for rallying in general.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

*warning*

Picture of the car in this link

http://biser3a.com/international-rallie ... rio-crash/