[PHOTO] Niki Lauda racing a groundhog?

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

[PHOTO] Niki Lauda racing a groundhog?

Post by Antonov »

On BBC coverage of first practice for this year's canadian grand prix the commentators mentioned there was a photo around of Niki Lauda braking for a hairpin with a groundhog running next to his car. Allegedly it would be in the early 80s (probably 82?).

If someone recognizes this description, could you post the photo?

Thanks!
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

I remember he mentioned something about seeing an animal on the track in 1985, and that Ron Dennis only believed him after someone handed pictures around. Can't remember if it was a groundhog, but seems likely it could be the same incident.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

More recently than that, at the Canadian GP in 2008, there was an adventurous groundhog who successfully crossed the track in between the cars. Not what you were looking for but Canadian GP wildlife stuff.

Here is a clip

I think it was Nanini in the Benetton at one of the wet years (1990) who was leading the race during the pit stop sequence of changing tyres as conditions changed. His day was spoilt when he had to take an unscheduled stop to have a groundhog (well, remnants of) removed from his sidepod. After that he went off at the hairpin, parking the car, only for Alesi to clatter into it when he had a lose a few minutes later.

In fact I just found a video of that incident.... at approx 6 minutes 30seconds into the clip.

Then there was Anthony Davidson in the Super Aguri at the 2007 race.... he was running in an over flattering 3rd place (thanks to an SC and staying out) when he suddenly turned up in the pitlane with a blood spattered car damaged by the wildlife.

The incident with Lauda was indeed as EB said in 1985,at the Canadian GP.. What actually happened was Lauda said he had missed one or seen it up close and Niki had hesitated thinking it was going to run in front of him..... it was in qualifying and Niki was on his hot lap. He was nearer the back of grid to the front and explained about this beaver looking at him. Ron did not believe him, and gave Niki 'the look' that says "Mate you are so full of shit you are dribbling," and treated it as Niki making an excuse to cover why he was at the rear end when Prost was near the front. But there was a picture in the local paper next morning of Lauda with the animal a few inches from the car, plus other photographers had seen it. So Ron had to rethink his belief of what really had happened and believe Lauda.

That story is mentioned in one of Niki's books. (To Hell and Back)

But that weekend Ron got his own back in the end. In the race, Lauda had his usual mechanical DNF for that year, the engine going pop mid race when he was catching Prost. Prost was where he had started in 5th, Lauda had gone from 18th to 8th by lap 20, but as mentioned the engine went bang. Alain had one mechanical DNF that year. Lauda had TEN mechanical DNF's, in 14 races he did that year. And of the three races he finished he won one of them, the last Dutch GP at Zandvoort. :suspicious: :whistling: :sorrow:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

thanks for that extensive explanation Chris. Hopefully we'll find the picture somewhere.

I always thought Lauda's performance was a lot worse in 1985 as if he didn't care anymore. But I started watching the 85 season again yesterday and it becomes quickly apparent how he gets plagued by mechanical issues indeed. In Jacarepagua he was catching Prost hand over fist for the lead and then the car gave up. I wonder if Lauda's decision to retire came after winning the 84 championship or in the middle of that troubled year.

as for that book you mention, to hell and back. I'd love to read it but can't seem to find it anywhere.
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Prost had a couple of key mechanical DNFs late in the 1984 season that cost him the title though, whilst Lauda's car was ultra reliable during the title run-in, so swings and roundabouts.

My fave memory of 1985 is Prost's desperation to get past Lauda at Zandvoort, wheels on the grass and all. Difficult to begrudge Niki that one last victory though, and Alboreto's season subsequently fell apart of course, so ultimately no harm done to Prost's championship chances.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

I was also interested to see this photo after hearing it mentioned during practice... I wonder if it will appear somewhere else.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

EB wrote: My fave memory of 1985 is Prost's desperation to get past Lauda at Zandvoort, wheels on the grass and all. Difficult to begrudge Niki that one last victory though.
Here is a clip of the GP, with the commentary / overview done by Niki himself

Antonov wrote: I wonder if Lauda's decision to retire came after winning the 84 championship or in the middle of that troubled year.
I think that the team had become so one sided by then and also the situation between Ron and Niki had degenerated.... Ron 'Wanker' Dennis even gatecrashed Niki's press conference to announce his impending retirement at the end of the year, and hijacked it, warbling on about how the Team had done all the work and Niki had contributed nothing (although he did the development work on not only the car but a lot of the development of the TAG engine.)

Niki out-negotiated Ron on his contract extension as well in the middle of 1984. There was already an extension with the money side all fixed and signed. Right before the Austrian GP Ron told Niki the extension at the agreed price was off. Ron would not pay the terms they had agreed and signed. An hour before the race start Ron shoved a revised contract in front of Niki with a much lower wage / retainer. He told Niki that if he did not sign it before the race the deal was off because (Ron Bluffed) Keke had become available for the next year and had agreed to drive for less than half what Lauda was to be paid under the original deal.

Niki did not sign it and was pretty livid over the way Ron had gone back on his word and what he had signed and agreed already. Niki went out and won his home GP. He came back in after the race, did the podium thing and the Press Conference , but instead of returning to the McLaren pit after the race he marched into the Renault Motorhome and walked out half an hour later with a contract offer at pretty much the rate that Ron had contracted to pay Niki. Armed with his written offer Niki stormed into Rons motorhome tossed the contract offer from Renault on the table and said to Ron, Sign the original deal again, before I leave tonight, otherwise I will announce that I am joining Renault. Ron had not even talked to Rosberg about joining the team and was pretty well stuffed by Niki threatening to go to Renault, so he signed the original Lauda deal with a slight reduction in fee.

Things like at the Dutch GP (video above) Niki had chosen particular compounds for his mid race stop. He went out and completed the first stint, but the car was not good handling wise. However, when he came into the pits for his stop they fitted the wrong compound tyres, and indeed a mix of hard and soft compounds. Niki picked what they had done immediately and realise he had probably worse tyres after the stop than the ones he had on previously. He knew if he pitted for the right tyres the time taken would put him out of the race pretty well, so he set about making the best of a bad situation, drove like a man possessed and of course won the race, his last ever win in F1.
as for that book you mention, to hell and back. I'd love to read it but can't seem to find it anywhere.
I think you might find that in your market (and other Euro markets I think) it is under a different name... "Meine Story." I know they have copies of Meine Story on ebay right now. Good Luck. A great read if you manage to find a copy. :thumbsup: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always