Eje Elgh, Suzuka Formula 2, early/mid 80's

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Eje Elgh, Suzuka Formula 2, early/mid 80's

Post by Cheeveer »

During the Formula 1 Classics broadcasts, Eje Elgh likes to tell old stories from his racing career.

During the latest episode, he told a story about a huge pile up on the spot where now the chicane is at at Suzuka. It was in the rain, during a Formula 2 race, where he piled into Johnny Cecotto at the end of the first lap and the caused a chain reaction which took out many cars. He didn't say which year, and since he spent most of the 80's in Japan it could well be any year. Can't find a match on my own.

After that wreck, the chicane was installed according to him, so it could have been quite an event.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

http://www.formula2.net/F282_19.htm ?

Looks to have been a mass retirement scenario, Cecotto and Elgh was in the race, but Elgh was classified. Not on the first lap either, but I wouldn't blame Elgh for having a dodgy memory. The chicane was installed 82/83 sometime.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The chicane was put in during the early-80s IIRC. The 1982 F2 Japanese GP race was INCREDIBLY wet, but I don't think it could have been that one.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

PTRACER wrote:The chicane was put in during the early-80s IIRC. The 1982 F2 Japanese GP race was INCREDIBLY wet, but I don't think it could have been that one.
Why not?

The chicane was installed before the 1983 season.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Mostly because he finished the race.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Yes, that makes sense. However, he might have just damaged his nose cone and continued (explains why he was a lap down at the finish).

I will have to search for some footage of this.

Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: late 70s - early 00s

Post by Dave »

I think this isn't the wreck, but it is from the race you mentioned.

EDIT: It may contain the tail end of the wreck you wanted.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Ah, nice. Thanks.

Hard to say if that was what Eje was thinking of, but may very well be the accident that "caused" the chicane. And I guess that is the point of this thread, to locate that wreck.