The 21st Century Revival of 1970s/80s Rock and Hair Metal

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

The 21st Century Revival of 1970s/80s Rock and Hair Metal

Post by PTRACER »

By the early-90s, it was MEGA unfashionable.....Seems like people are starting to see sense in the 21st Century and are playing what I call "REAL" rock music. Bands are still able to pull it off without it sounding dated. Groups like My Chemical Romance are kidding themselves by playing their poncey music and thinking it's rock.

The Darkness was the first real successful glam band of the 00s:

Wigwam released a few pretty good songs in this style around the same time, but were pretty much unknown in the UK:

Another one I discovered today is Steel Panther...some of their stuff is pretty good:

Anything else to add? :dunno:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
James B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by James B »

The latter two sound like bad Bon Jovi parodies (sorry)

The Darkness were awesome, though. Got both albums. Just a shame Justin's coke habit got in the way
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Steel Panthers are basically a spoof band, that recall the 80's glam metal with irony, with an eye to Spinal Tap. I also discovered them recently but they're around by a couple of years. Indeed they are very good musicians; the guitarist was the axeman of Fight, the band that Rob Halford put up after he left Judas Priest.
I don't know WIG WAM but I've heard Darkness first album. When I listened to I believe a thing called love I thought, "finally a band that records a guitar solo", but the whole tracklist of the album is boring their sound production is cleaner than the original counterpart but they sound really floppy and are missing the punch of real r n' r. I've heard a song yesterday in the radio and the falsetto voice of the singer is boring because he uses them in every song. Love is only a feeling was indeed a good song.

There has a been a thrash metal recently, even if I haven't listened to this much, the guitarist of my band lent me the cd of Lazarus AD, a song of whom he took the name of the band from.

I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Oh fuck, what you posted PT is not rock & roll, not by a long shot!

Well, overall the 80's rock scene was absolutely atrocious. All gimmicks and dick waving, fucking hell. Glam metal is better off dead.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The 80s rock scene was purely down to Heavy Metal in a variety of shades and forms. Some of it was atrocious. Overall, it was bloody great.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

:agreepost:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

James B wrote:The latter two sound like bad Bon Jovi parodies (sorry)

The Darkness were awesome, though. Got both albums. Just a shame Justin's coke habit got in the way
Got in the way the first time round. Watch this space.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

DoubleFault wrote:
James B wrote:The latter two sound like bad Bon Jovi parodies (sorry)

Got in the way the first time round. Watch this space.
Bon Jovi was a Van Halen parody. Van Halen was a jukebox version of Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin was an uptempo blues rock injection. Blues rock was slow jazz, with marijuana instead of hard drugs. Jazz was inspired by traffic noises of the early American era of automobiles as transportation. Heavy Metal was born from the industrial hells of England and Germany in the late 70s. Now we are full circle, rock wise.

Classical music was born from the freedom, love, and beauty of the soul of man.

What went wrong here was Industrialisation. Mechanical man putting the n***** out of business, and making the wheels turn, instead. We've had total war ever since.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Silence for close to 25 years, and then this, the metal gene (not Simmons) doesn't always shrivel up its own arse. This is beautiful, a 70s band who hangovered the 80s, rehabbed the 90s, hadn't a clue about the 00s, and retroed themselves strangely, had this album been released in their own age and time, Meat Loaf would have packed it in.