So has anyone bought Gran Turismo 5?

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The old Gran Turismo games had awesome soundtracks aswell, racing the classic tracks with Feeder playing in the background was awesome when I was 14 :twothumbs:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

i refer especially to the nu-jazz part of the ost. some tracks are really good.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I've now purchased GT5 and should start playing in the next couple of days.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

need advice?
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

On what?
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

on the game :mrgreen: how to proceed :P
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

How is everyone getting on with GT5? I'm disappointed I waited to buy this, I should have got the Special Edition when it came out. Oh well, my fault.

I've only been playing it on and off over the last month but seem to be getting on well. 41% completed, 47 golds and 13 silver in the license tests, up to level 23, and I haven't completed many of the actual A-Spec races yet. B-Spec I cannot be bothered with, I've done one race so far. Maybe I'll try it more when I've done most of A-Spec.

I'm really enjoying this game.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

I haven't driven that much lately... Since I have all A-spec events golded (save for endurances) there's nothing really left to do, so after completing the Red Bull X1 challenge I have mostly just done the seasonal events during weekends. I think I'm at level 32 at the moment...

One thing I will say... Few updates back PD added an option for adjusting the steering sensitivity with gamepad, and for me that made a massive improvement on the driving feel, especially with the faster cars. I just wish they had added that before I completed pretty much the whole game...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The seasonal events seem to be the easiest way to accrue experience points quickest. What is the point of Performance Points? So far I've come across only 1 race where you needed to be under a certain PP, which is the opposite of GT5-Prologue which heavily relied of PPs.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

The seasonals you can't repeat probably give you the most xp for the least amount of time spent. The ones you can repeat give you about the same as normal high-level races I think, so if you are at a lower level they should be a handy way to make swift progress...

As for the performance points, I guess they are handy for online. I never really liked the way they worked in prologue, I could see how adding power or reducing weight effects performance but having the pp increase when you tweak the suspension or gear ratios was just plain silly...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

How do you win the race cars on this game? I've completed a few of the advanced races but only get mediocre cars. The only race car I've won is the Dale Jr COT cup car.
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

The prizes in the game are (in my opinion) really poor, and pretty badly set out. For example, winning the Formula Gran Turismo championship, which is probably the hardest on the entire game as well as the most time-consuming, will gain you a Caterham you can buy for 40,000 credits or something.

One piece of advice: as soon as you can, get all golds on the Like The Wind 2-race event on A-Spec. It'll win you the Toyota 88-CV Minolta car, and that's probably the best car in the game (save the Red Bull thing, but that's so fast it's almost not fun to drive).
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Can't really argue with that. I didn't find it a major issue apart from that Caterham, which was quite a letdown after spending about three hours trying to win the championship...

Here is a list of all the races and the trophy cars you get from them. Not exactly full of race cars, that list.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I turned on GT5 for the first time in a few months last night and as part of signing in, I was given the special Red Bull car as a gift. The car is being given away to GT5 users in celebration to Vettel's championship win. What a car, stupidly fast (I was doing 31 second laps around Indy and 54 seconds around Laguna Seca) and an obscene amount of grip.

The new update for 2.0 with downloadable content is available here in the US now, but I'm still of PSN Europe so I'll get it on 18th October. For 11.99 you'll get a whole bunch of reasonably good new cars and a couple of circuits, one of which is Spa Francorchamps.

As part of the 2.0 update you'll now get a login bonus for all prizes, it'll help you acrue more experience points and credits quicker than before. For the first time you login you'll receive 110% rewards and for every consecutive day you login that increases to maximum of 200%.
Alonsomania
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Alonsomania »

The X2010 is so fast I can't even drive it, not with a controller anyway. I gave up after 10 laps on that special event at Suzuka.

I played GT1 and GT2 to death but 5 just isn't that addictive :down: it looks great, feels great, it's just not it
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

I found the X2010 event quite easy with controller. Although I did spend some time driving the car earlier to complete the Sebastien Vettel challenge.

You just need to turn the steering sensitivity to full so that you have a vague chance to steer the car fast enough and then be extremely careful with the controls. Also, you need to think much further ahead than with anything else since the bloody thing is so damn fast.