[WRC/IRC] 2010 Discussion Thread - Swedish Rally started

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Raikkonen's Arctic Rally, after the tree jumped in front of him....

Raikkonen then drove through the third stage and made it back to the service area in Rovaniemi, although he incurred time penalties getting to stage three. The time was lost because he was stuck in a snowbank on stage 2, until some spectators showed up with shovels to help them out.

I have read reports elsewhere that it is now confirmed that he hit Luca di Montezemolo's ego!

The team replaced the radiator and oil cooler along with bodywork at the front of the C4 WRC in the 20-minute service. Raikkonen left service seven minutes late, which is expected to add a further 1m10s of penalties to his overall total.

He takes total responsibility for the crash and misheard the pace notes. Kimi's later stage times are very credible, running within 0.5 - 0.8 secs/klm of Sordo.

He wass back and running times 2nd fastest to Sordo on all three of the afternoon's stages.....

Kimi ran 3rd SS only 12 secs slower than Sordo! Less than 1 sec per km loss after crashing out is quite impressive really, especially when Sordo has 100 or so rallies more experience, mostly in the C4! He made adjustments to the C4 WRC at service ahead of the final stage in northern Finland in the evening. He adjusted the suspension on the car to assist turn-in to corners, while also working to help with traction at the back of the car.

Kimi's brother Rami, driving Kimi's own Fiat Punto had a triple roll! He also is continuing.

Sordo remains clear at the head of the field.

There are six further stages tomorrow, with three of those repeated.

Kimi has set his sights firmly on improving his pace tomorrow. :jaw:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Loeb takes early lead in Sweden

By Matt Beer Friday, February 12th 2010, 10:13 GMT

Sebastien Loeb leads Mikko Hirvonen by four seconds after the first loop of stages in Sweden, with Dani Sordo a close third.

Reigning champion Loeb started the morning with a pair of stage wins, allowing him to move past his Citroen team-mate Sordo - who had won last night's superspecial - to take the rally lead.

But Hirvonen (Ford) was then quickest on Torntorp, trimming Loeb's advantage back to 4.1s.

"I was not so confident, I don't know why," Loeb admitted at the stage end. "I did not have a perfect drive."

Hirvonen was pleased to be within range of Loeb at the end of the loop.

"I'm catching a little bit so it's going in the right direction," said the Finn. "I've changed the car a bit - not a big thing, but it's all about the small things now. It's not too bad, we're not far behind so we can still fight back."

Sordo hung on close behind Loeb in second until he too lost a few seconds on Torntorp and fell to third.

"At the start the car was moving a lot at the rear and I couldn't get a good feeling," he said. "At the end it was better and better, but the car was very nervous."

Jari-Matti Latvala is fourth in the second Ford, but is already 18s off the lead.

"The rhythm is just difficult to find," he said. "I'm braking too early sometimes and I'm not brave enough in some corners. I'm not 100 per cent happy with myself at the moment. It's not far away, but we can't lose more than this. We need to be at the same level as the other cars."

Citroen Junior's Sebastien Ogier holds fifth, 8.1s ahead of Marcus Gronholm in the Stobart Ford, with the former world champion still trying to settle in on his return.

"It feels like it's not my car," Gronholm said. "It's easy to get it right and I know how to go in these corners, but I can't really find it now. We need to do something, but for the moment I don't really know what. I need to find more confidence."

After accidents in recent events, Mads Ostberg (Adapta Subaru) made a cautious start, but then picked up his pace on SS4 and jumped past both Solberg brothers into seventh place.

Petter Solberg's spin on last night's superspecial left him 44th overnight, and he admitted the mistake was still playing on his mind this morning. He has got back up to ninth, but remains unhappy with his performance.

"I'm a little bit stressed from yesterday," said Solberg after SS4. "I've lost a lot of time on this stage. I'm trying. I'll keep on pushing and see where we can go."

Kimi Raikkonen suffered an early delay when Ford's Khalid Al Qassimi rejoined right in front of him following an excursion on SS2. The Finn was stuck in Al Qassimi's snow spray for the rest of the stage, and is currently 11th, just over two minutes behind Loeb.

Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Sebastien Loeb Citroen 33m53.2s
2. Mikko Hirvonen Ford + 4.1s
3. Dani Sordo Citroen + 6.0s
4. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford + 18.0s
5. Sebastien Ogier Citroen + 34.4s
6. Marcus Gronholm Ford + 42.5s
7. Mads Ostberg Subaru + 54.6s
8. Henning Solberg Ford + 58.1s
9. Petter Solberg Citroen + 58.6s
10. Matthew Wilson Ford + 1m39.7s
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Hirvonen takes lead, Solberg goes off

By Matt Beer Friday, February 12th 2010, 13:10 GMT

Mikko Hirvonen has taken the lead of the Rally Sweden from Sebastien Loeb, while Petter Solberg has tumbled down the order following an error and an incident with Matthew Wilson.

Loeb lost 10s to Hirvonen on SS5 and fell to third behind his Citroen team-mate Dani Sordo. The world champion said his only problem was that the stage had been affected by cars passing through on the first loop this morning.

"Just the road conditions. A lot of ruts with snow in them," said Loeb. "I expected these conditions and I knew I had no chance.

"I tried as much as I could. I took more risks than on the first run, but the time is not good. I don't like driving in these conditions so maybe I'm making some mistakes."

But despite moving into the lead, Hirvonen is concerned that Loeb will be stronger on the next two stages.

"This might cost me a lot," said the Ford driver. "Conditions were so bad that I could've been too hard for the tyres and Sebastien could have been saving his.

"When I knew that we were quite a lot in front, I slowed down a bit to save the tyres, but maybe the damage has already been done."

There was also drama further down the order, as Petter Solberg - who had been running ninth - went off the road and lost nearly five minutes, and then made contact with Stobart Ford's Matthew Wilson later on the stage.

"He hit us. He went off at 12 kilometres, got back on, we followed him in his snow for ages," Wilson explained. "He overshot a junction, we stalled under braking, started up and next thing there's a clout up the a*** and it's damaged the suspension."

Solberg admitted the incident was his fault.

"We had understeer, went off the road and lost a lot of time," said Solberg. "Then he went off in front of us. I hit him, that's why he's damaged on the back. I'm trying too hard."

The stage also saw both fifth-placed Sebastien Ogier (Citroen Junior) and sixth-placed Marcus Gronholm (Stobart Ford) delayed by overshoots, although they quickly rejoined in the same order.

There were more serious problems for Mads Ostberg, who suffered engine issues in his Adapta Subaru and then went off the road briefly, dropping him from seventh to ninth.

"The engine, I don't know what it is. I had plenty of alarms in the stage," said Ostberg. "The power went away and I was too unfocused and we went off."

The problems ahead have moved Kimi Raikkonen (Citroen Junior) up to 10th among the WRC entrants, although he is 11th overall behind S2000 class leader P-G Andersson's Skoda.

Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Mikko Hirvonen Ford 45m35.0s
2. Dani Sordo Citroen + 6.3s
3. Sebastien Loeb Citroen + 6.7s
4. Jari-Matti Latvala Ford + 28.0s
5. Sebastien Ogier Citroen + 47.2s
6. Marcus Gronholm Ford + 1m06.0s
7. Henning Solberg Ford + 1m17.3s
8. Matthew Wilson Ford + 2m16.8s
9. Mads Ostberg Subaru + 2m36.7s
10. P-G Andersson Skoda + 2m42.9s
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Gronholm, Raikkonen hit trouble

By Matt Beer Friday, February 12th 2010, 14:42 GMT

Marcus Gronholm and Kimi Raikkonen have both run into trouble on stage six of the Rally Sweden.

Formula 1 convert Raikkonen has stopped on the stage, with initial reports from camera crews suggesting he hit a snow bank in his Citroen Junior C4.

The Finn managed to continue for a short distance before pulling to a halt again. He eventually rejoined and completed the stage 26 minutes behind the leaders.

Gronholm was holding sixth on his return with Stobart Ford, but lost over ten minutes on the stage when the car developed an electrical problem. He was able to coax it into life again and continue to the end of the stage.

Mikko Hirvonen still leads the lead for Ford, with Sebastien Loeb now back ahead of Dani Sordo in second place.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

poor Kimi. He hadn't much luck. He will have a long year of learning
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Rally Mexico.

The WRC has headed off to Mexico for this weekends Rally Mexico. Traditionally a Loeb stranglehold with 4 wins in 5 years, (Solberg took his last WRC rally victory on this event in 2005, being the missing win for Loeb) . Loeb will be trying to claw back ground lost in Sweden. He does have the advantage of Hirvonen, leading the championship, being the first to run, and therefore doing the roadsweeping job for everyone else following.

In the shakedown Petter Solberg ended up fastest, with the Ford runners suffering from deep watersplashes, a result of plenty of recent rain, causing problems with not only water filling up all their intakes and ducting but also ripping radiators off and other problems.

Kimi Raikkonen, who was forced to miss the pre event Mexico tests due to a back problem (an old F1 injury he has always had, and which needed some laser surgery a couple of weeks ago), none the less was mighty impressive in the shakedown, ending up 5th overall. More to the point he was fastest Finn! He finished ahead of Latvala, Hirvonen (some 5+ seconds faster than Latvala and a second faster than WRC Championship Leader Hirvonen!!) a, plus within 1.7 secs of Sebastian Loeb.

Here are the Shakedown times of the leading WRC drivers:

1. P. SOLBERG. Citroen C4 WRC. 2:51.7
2. SORDO. Citroen C4 WRC. 2:51.8
3. OGIER. Citroen C4 WRC. 2:51.9
4. LOEB. Citroen C4 WRC. 2:52.5
5. RAIKKONEN. Citroen C4 WRC. 2:54.2
6. HIRVONEN. Ford Focus RS WRC 09. 2:55.3
7. H.SOLBERG. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 2:56.2
8. VILLAGRA. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 2:56.4
9. WILSON. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 2:59.9
10. LATVALA. Ford Focus RS WRC 09. 3:00.1
11. BLOCK. Ford Focus RS WRC 08. 3:04.6

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Early problem halts Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen's Rally Mexico could be over almost before it has started, following an engine problem aboard his Citroen on this morning's second stage. :(

The Red Bull Citroen has stopped on the second stage (Ortega), with what the team suspect to be a fuel pressure-related problem. He could return to the Leon-based event tomorrow, under superally regulations, but the team cannot confirm that until it has investigated the problem with the car.

Raikkonen posted the 10th fastest time on the opening stage this morning.

Petter Solberg led the event after two stages, 9.8 seconds ahead of Raikkonen's Citroen Junior Team team-mate Sebastien Ogier.

Round one winner Mikko Hirvonen has so far suffered a troubled morning running first on the road. The Ford man, who lies sixth, has lost 22 seconds to leader Solberg. Sebastien Loeb is fourth.

In the absence of Raikkonen, go Petter Solberg.

EDIT: Raikkonen eventually got going again in stage 2 but only after a delay of half an hour while he fixed a faulty fuel connection in his Citroen. (not sure if it was an electrical or fuel pipe connection at this point in time.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just looked at the stage times, and on SS3 Raikkonen was 7th overall, and SS4 he was 4th=, just 0.9 secs off the stage winners time.... Sadly the mechanical prob has him down in 30th overall.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Raikkonen crashes out of Mexico

By David Evans Friday, March 5th 2010, 22:08 GMT

Citroen Junior Team driver Kimi Raikkonen has crashed out of Rally Mexico close to the finish of the final gravel stage of day one.

The Finn rolled his C4 WRC off the road a mile from the end of the second run through the El Cubliete test. Initial reports suggest it was a substantial crash, with the car rolling six times. Both Raikkonen and his co-driver Kaj Lintstrom were uninjured in the accident, but the C4 is said to be destroyed.

Raikkonen's first day on gravel in a World Rally Car has been eventful, with a bent steering arm spoiling the first stage and an electrical fault costing him 20 minutes on the second test. He then posted the fifth fastest time, just 0.9 seconds slower than the fastest time on his first ever asphalt WRC test, the Coca-Cola Street Stage.

The first two stages of the afternoon were also better with eighth and ninth quickest times on gravel before his accident.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Some pics, a couple of the car after the rollover, and a couple of before. It isnt as bad as I expected. A bit of Tcut and 'she'll be right mate' :dunno: :wink:

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Fi just said it's nice to see Kimi hasn't changed his driving style, still likes to hit immovable objects...
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Rainyday
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, WRC, NASCAR, BTCC, KKWCS
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia 037
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Post by Rainyday »

Ian-S wrote:Fi just said it's nice to see Kimi hasn't changed his driving style, still likes to hit immovable objects...
Isn't that Lewis Hamilton more though? He might do well in WRC, considering he already has some experience from gravel...
Square numbers are just like women, if they're under 13 just do them in your head.
caneparo wrote:considering what you wrote I must say you smoked antifreeze
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

I think Kimi's crash rate is far higher than Hamiltons... I expect Ballies has some stat to back this up?

I seem to remember in the second half of 2008 Kimi managed to hit a wall in Singapore and Belgium amongst others...
Rainyday
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, WRC, NASCAR, BTCC, KKWCS
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia 037
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Post by Rainyday »

Well, at least he hasn't hit anyone on pit exit... :whistling:
Square numbers are just like women, if they're under 13 just do them in your head.
caneparo wrote:considering what you wrote I must say you smoked antifreeze
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFault wrote:I think Kimi's crash rate is far higher than Hamiltons... I expect Ballies has some stat to back this up?

I seem to remember in the second half of 2008 Kimi managed to hit a wall in Singapore and Belgium amongst others...
Its higher but not far higher.... Raikkonen has 14 (15 if you include Hamilton running into him at Canada.) from 148 starts whereas Hamilton has 4 from 52. So within 1%. However many of Raikkonens accidents were not of his own fault.... (Germany when Half Schumacher and Barrichello had their accident and ran Kimi off the road, Klien ran into the back of KR in Malaysia 2006 on the first lap, Monaco 2002 Barrichello ran Kimi off the road are a few that spring to mind. Of Hamilton's only 1 of his was arguably not his fault, at Spa.

They both have a vastly better record than say Michael Schumacher. Even Seb Vettel has a better record than him. :whistling:

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Can we include Schumacher hitting a Minardi in China on the warmup lap?