Adrian Newey Quits Red Bull - Confirmed

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Well, done. Lots of rumors, it is now official. Next question is where he is going? His wife wouldn't be house shopping in Italy for no reason.

Anyhow, there is an unfinished story here about what is going on with Red Bull, in particular with Verstappen. I would not be surprised if he moves in 2026 (as I think Red Bull will win again in 2025). He may follow Newey. Can one imagine if Newey goes to Ferrari and Verstappen follows? Who gets bumped at Ferrari to make space?

Turning into a very interesting F1 season off track (on track is boring as shit).
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 2 weeks ago Well, done. Lots of rumors, it is now official. Next question is where he is going? His wife wouldn't be house shopping in Italy for no reason.

Anyhow, there is an unfinished story here about what is going on with Red Bull, in particular with Verstappen. I would not be surprised if he moves in 2026 (as I think Red Bull will win again in 2025). He may follow Newey. Can one imagine if Newey goes to Ferrari and Verstappen follows? Who gets bumped at Ferrari to make space?

Turning into a very interesting F1 season off track (on track is boring as shit).
I have to agree with you that there is more to come. I am not sure what future holds, but I expect more of bad news for Max. Whether the team will be top contender next year is not at all certain.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

XcraigX wrote: 2 weeks ago So looks like he will be working on the Hypercar for the next year. So some time in 2026 he's available?
It seems his availability will be much sooner..... He has been given a bit of a "get out of jail" card

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 weeks ago Image

Multiple sources There does seem to be a difference in different sources over the gardening leave. Saward suggest 12 months.

I understand Newey's lawyers have challenged the validity of the extended leave.

Adrian Newey: Red Bull confirm exit of chief technical officer in early 2025
A bit more clarity over the exit conditions has been released. Newey could be behind a competitors drawing board within 12 months

It fits in roughly with Sawards initial thoughts at the time he confirmed the Newey was leaving. It also fits with the wording of the Red Bull statement that Newey would continue in the organisation until the first quarter of 2025, working on the RB17 Supercar.

He will in the meantime attend specific races to work trackside – including this weekend’s Miami Grand Prix. However, it is understood that he will no longer play an active role in technical developments at the team and will not be involved in meetings on future car progress.

While Newey originally had a contract that ran until the end of 2025, and had a further non-compete clause that could have sidelined him for another 12 months, his legal representatives have agreed with Red Bull to an earlier parting of ways.

Red Bull has announced that Newey’s contract will end in the first quarter of next year, with it understood that from March he will in theory be free to join a rival outfit. (Note it just says in the first quarter, not end of the first quarter.)

I think Newey and hiss lawyer have done a lot better in the negotiations that Red Bull. If Horner was involved in allowing such a leniency over Newey's actual contract it is not his finest hour. As described Newey has gone from contractually unavailable deep into 2026 to now being free to join another team as early as just under 12 months time in March or April 2025. In time to have input in any new employer's 2026 car, although perhaps too late to be involved in the early concept and theory of the car.

Other reports as mentioned have pointed towards Ferrari being the chosen team. It seems Aston Martin have put up a financially attractive offer but Newey doesnt trust Stroll long term committment to F1. As for Mercedes word is Newey has a problem with Toto.

Fred Vasseur allegedly met with Newey in London yesterday. Also allegedly Mrs Newey has been house hunting in Italy!

To my thinking such an early release of Newey, with no subsequent gardening leave is a shocking lapse on Red Bull / Horner's part.

I am also not convinced that Newey wont be doing after hours stuff for his new team. Yes it was be easy to follow and track any electronic data transfer but it would be very difficult to stop or police any communication or hand written design briefs being transferred discretely.

But that i another matter entirely.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Good. Shake things up Adrian.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

They can control some things, but we're not yet in a place where they can control what is in someone's mind. So yeah, Adrian will be able to help any new team with stuff from his memory no matter what they say or do.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

OK Curve ball time. Everyone loves a curve ball to throw the opposition......

I think we all know Adrian love his boats. Sail boats. He has often spoken of designing stuff, and has worked on America's Cup stuff as a consultant, albeit in areas of his expertise.

Many of us know he has in progress at the moment a boat build of his own. An Oyster 885S11. Its 90 feet long. Very luxurious. Very seaworthy and very capable of the longest of journeys. The base price is $5 million. Adrians is kitted out with lots of extra long distance type options. Larger generators. Extra battery packs. Full solar capabilities. A very serious bit of kit.
This boat>>>>> https://bit.ly/3weIAZh

I have also found a recent (posted a couple of months ago) video and interview with him talking boaty things and his bucket list.
In it he talks of his getting older. He says the idea of the boat he is currently having built is that it should be capable of very long journeys.

He then casually drops in that he wants to sail around the globe before he gets too old.

Maybe, just maybe, he is just going to give motorsport away and tick off the round the world sailing ambition box. He certainly has already made plans regarding his first long distance trip..

His boat is in quite an advanced state. It will certainly be ready for delivery round about the early part of next year. Just as the weather starts to improve in the Northern hemisphere. About the same time he finishes up at Red Bull. : :suspicious: :whistling:

You get where I am going with this dont you. Pure conspiracy theory with little fact beyond his bucket list, his ambitions, and the boat is real. But, stranger things have happened.
Of course also on his bucket list was to work for Ferrari......

We hear Fred Vasseur is chasing Adrian around the place and had a meeting on the day of the confirmation he was quitting the Red Bull team. Maybe Adrian has told Fred he is retiring from F1 and Fred was trying to persuade him not to, with a tasty offer. Long journeys in boats of weeks and months in duration dont really fit in with a busy F1 schedule and developing an F1 car through new regulations.

Food for thought anyway.

Its 14 minutes long. By the end he talks of having all the details of his first long journey planned and put to bed.

Here is is..... first the blurb on the video
Join preeminent Formula 1 race engineer Adrian Newey as he shares insights and experiences of building his Oyster 885.

Red Bull Racing’s Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey is shifting from high-octane fuel to natural wind power and pursuing his ambition to sail around the world one day. In an upcoming documentary, go behind the scenes as the world’s most successful F1 racing engineer shares his experiences, key learnings and invaluable insights into the build process. With an in-depth look at how Oyster build the world’s finest bluewater sailing yachts, it is a must-see documentary for any owner building a boat, or aspiring to in the future.

Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 weeks ago, edited 4 times in total.

P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Star wrote: 2 weeks ago This now seems to be an open secret. Red Bull and Adrian Newey haven't confirmed it yet, but we all know it's going to happen at some point. It's not if, it's when and where he goes, though Ferrari seems to be most likely if reports of his wife property shopping in Italy are to be believed. I have also seen reports that it will be formally annouced this weekend.
@Everso Biggyballies I haven't spoken to @P. Cornelius Scipio this week. I do know he gets very busy with his job at times though. He was fine last time we spoke.
sorry I've been a bit busy lately, yesterday it was a bank holiday in Italy and we went to the seaside for the long week end...

I'm surprised that Newey decided to leave, well it will be interesting to see where he goes, it seems that Ferrari is on pole position for his services, in that case good luck to him

A few days ago I saw somewhere an article that quoted some insider saying that nowadays the real brain behind Red Bull's cars is Wache, I don't know what to make of this, all I can say is that IMHO the car is the least of Ferrari's problems (as per the drivers, they are not the problem) so one has to wonder if Newey joining Ferrari will translate in Ferrari having an eureka moment and solving all their issues and becoming winners, who knows

Let's see what happens, in a sense it would be fun if the next in line for such a move was Max, I'd love to see Jos mad at Mercedes if they can't give him a winning car :cool:
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 weeks ago
To my thinking such an early release of Newey, with no subsequent gardening leave is a shocking lapse on Red Bull / Horner's part.

My understanding is that the contract is between RBR Plc and Newey's company, so a non competition clause is tougher to obtain. Also one has to look at the contract in detail, it could well be that the had some gates like for example, a 6 months notice period, or more lilely an option to renew the contract for 2025 that was due at the end of April, in a sense that possibilities are endless, but I don't think that RBR's lawyers forgot to provide for a gardening leave period, it's more likely that either the situation is much more complex than that OR that Newey, who was in a very strong position in negotiations, told that either they accepted his terms or he was ready to leave (I mean at the time that they signed the contract)
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 2 weeks ago
Star wrote: 2 weeks ago This now seems to be an open secret. Red Bull and Adrian Newey haven't confirmed it yet, but we all know it's going to happen at some point. It's not if, it's when and where he goes, though Ferrari seems to be most likely if reports of his wife property shopping in Italy are to be believed. I have also seen reports that it will be formally annouced this weekend.
@Everso Biggyballies I haven't spoken to @P. Cornelius Scipio this week. I do know he gets very busy with his job at times though. He was fine last time we spoke.
sorry I've been a bit busy lately, yesterday it was a bank holiday in Italy and we went to the seaside for the long week end...

I'm surprised that Newey decided to leave, well it will be interesting to see where he goes, it seems that Ferrari is on pole position for his services, in that case good luck to him

A few days ago I saw somewhere an article that quoted some insider saying that nowadays the real brain behind Red Bull's cars is Wache, I don't know what to make of this, all I can say is that IMHO the car is the least of Ferrari's problems (as per the drivers, they are not the problem) so one has to wonder if Newey joining Ferrari will translate in Ferrari having an eureka moment and solving all their issues and becoming winners, who knows

Let's see what happens, in a sense it would be fun if the next in line for such a move was Max, I'd love to see Jos mad at Mercedes if they can't give him a winning car :cool:
Well coming here saved me an email to check that you're okay. Good to know you are. How dare you have a life outside of this place? ;) :haha: I hope you had fun at the beach. :cool: Actually we'll be having a bank holiday here on Monday.

So Adrian Newey isn't the designing god we all believed him to be then if that article is to be believed. It's funny the other teams are all clamouring for his services if he's not. Any team would be lucky to get him onboard, though of course he will retire at some point, none of us last forever do we?

P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Star wrote: 2 weeks ago
Well coming here saved me an email to check that you're okay. Good to know you are. How dare you have a life outside of this place? ;) :haha: I hope you had fun at the beach. :cool: Actually we'll be having a bank holiday here on Monday.

So Adrian Newey isn't the designing god we all believed him to be then if that article is to be believed. It's funny the other teams are all clamouring for his services if he's not. Any team would be lucky to get him onboard, though of course he will retire at some point, none of us last forever do we?
the seaside was great, we took Luca to a kites event and there was no wind... no wind whatsoever, no sailing yachts on the horizon...

which takes me to Newey: is the reason behind his resignation his love for yachting or is he joining some other team? His new yacht is an Oyster, a yacht designed for blue water sailing, as a matter of fact last Saturday he wouldn't have had a lot of fun in the Mediterranean with an Oyster 885 so one has to assume that he means to take it to the oceans, and if that was the case he would have to spend considerable amounts of time at sea and that would mean that he wouldn't be able to commit full time to work. In a sense his friend Eddie Jordan could serve as an example: once he sold his team he bought an Oyster yacht and had it take a trip around the world (with crew), if I remember correctly he was doing some legs on board his yacht and others were left for the crew, what is important is that Eddie Jordan didn't have a full time job at that time. The other option is that Newey has a lot of money to spend and he really liked an Osyer 885 and he can't be bothered if all that he plans to do is take her for a spin in the Solent once in a while.

Personally I believe that no one can come up with a winning car in F1 on his own, not even Newey, what I believe is the case is that someone can have a few very good ideas and then inspire and manage others to develop them into a working project. If that is the case I think that the problem for Ferrari - assuming that Newey was to join Ferrari - would be integrating Newey into an existing technical structure that is a bit different from some of the others because it is true that at senior level there is a lot of turnover at Ferrari like at any other team, but among the rank and file Ferrari is a different beast to other teams as it's a fully developed industrial complex, with people spending their whole careers there, growing over the years, with a given set of values and a given heritage. So good luck to Newey because I think that the technical department at Ferrari is a very different environment than Red Bull's. Having said that Newey could be a leader of men and inspire them to give their best, all we can do is wait and see.

As for Wache it is possible that he is the man behind Red Bull's recent success, I don't know, I think that over the years Red Bull have built a very solid platform and I believe that even without Newey they will win the WDC and WCC in 2025, next year's cars will be an evolution of the 2024 concept and RBR is miles ahead
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

the seaside was great, we took Luca to a kites event and there was no wind... no wind whatsoever, no sailing yachts on the horizon...

which takes me to Newey: is the reason behind his resignation his love for yachting or is he joining some other team? His new yacht is an Oyster, a yacht designed for blue water sailing, as a matter of fact last Saturday he wouldn't have had a lot of fun in the Mediterranean with an Oyster 885 so one has to assume that he means to take it to the oceans, and if that was the case he would have to spend considerable amounts of time at sea and that would mean that he wouldn't be able to commit full time to work. In a sense his friend Eddie Jordan could serve as an example: once he sold his team he bought an Oyster yacht and had it take a trip around the world (with crew), if I remember correctly he was doing some legs on board his yacht and others were left for the crew, what is important is that Eddie Jordan didn't have a full time job at that time. The other option is that Newey has a lot of money to spend and he really liked an Osyer 885 and he can't be bothered if all that he plans to do is take her for a spin in the Solent once in a while.
Not sure if you saw it but up the page I posted a video interview with Newey regarding his Oyster boat, now near completion which he already has a lengthy voyage planned in detail. He also speaks of the boat being capable of circling the globe, and talks of his ambition to do just that sooner rather than later given his age. As you say, not an ambition that fits in with a full time F1 career in the manner of his current / previous modus operandi.

Link to the video and some comments on his nautical ambitions are in this post here >>. viewtopic.php?p=463180#p463174

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

We are aware that Newey’s exit negotiations were handled by ex none other than his good friend Eddie Jordan.....
Adrian made a point of thanking “his close friend and manager” in the Red Bull statement announcing his departure. Without doubt Eddie struck a good deal in my view, given that Newey was contracted until end 2025 with additional restrictions on re employment in F1 (aka gardening leave).

Anyway moving on from that side and more onto the where to aspect,
Eddie is now reported to have hinted in a podcast that, along the lines of what we have been saying here, that perhaps he might not continue in F1, but go into some form of sailing related retirement.
Jordan has suggested that Newey may opt to “just cruise for a while” and seek “a change of life” by potentially bringing an end to his illustrious F1 career.

He said: “Remember that he’s been in Red Bull under constant pressure.

“So if he’s going to take time out and just cruise for a while, then everyone would understand that and I think that’s probably more likely to [happen] rather than diving into any other possible employment career [options].

“Things have slightly changed, he’s got a bit older.

“This is a great team, he’s had great drivers, he’s got great personnel there – he probably should and would look to the future for a change of life.”
Im not a huge fan of Jordan and have often taken much of what he says with more than a pinch of salt. I wouldnt be surprised if this is true, but it also might be a bit of a red herring to reduce some of the pressure on Newey to be constantly facing questions with the what team talk.

It actually crossed my mind that Newey might actually try to negotiate some form of part time consultancy role with Ferrari, something more concept and aerodynamics design related, set the aero peramenters and design direction for the designers to do the nuts and bolts of.... his role at Red Bull was already heading in that direction with Wache actually credited with the design aspect of theis years car with Adrian overseeing as Chief Technical Officer.

A part time consultancy overseeing role within Ferrari that does not entail attending races, or at least flyaways might be the answer. Pretty full time in winter when the sailing isnt so good but the design load is heavy, but then more relaxed and less involved as both the F1 and sailing season get going, b That would make sense all round. It also ticks his box and scratches his Ferrari itch, as it does the ticks the working with Lewis box :whistling: .....

Newey's boat is going to be based in the Med, a house in the Marinello region. Plenty of marinas in the region to host his yacht, a fabulous region to have as a starting point for any cruise. In fact we know his first cruise planned starts on the Amalfi Coast to Sardinia and then East towards Croatia and the Eastern Med.

The Amalfi coast is just a short helicopter ride from Maranello. :whistling: :suspicious:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Personally I believe that no one can come up with a winning car in F1 on his own, not even Newey, what I believe is the case is that someone can have a few very good ideas and then inspire and manage others to develop them into a working project. If that is the case I think that the problem for Ferrari - assuming that Newey was to join Ferrari - would be integrating Newey into an existing technical structure that is a bit different from some of the others because it is true that at senior level there is a lot of turnover at Ferrari like at any other team, but among the rank and file Ferrari is a different beast to other teams as it's a fully developed industrial complex, with people spending their whole careers there, growing over the years, with a given set of values and a given heritage. So good luck to Newey because I think that the technical department at Ferrari is a very different environment than Red Bull's. Having said that Newey could be a leader of men and inspire them to give their best, all we can do is wait and see.

As for Wache it is possible that he is the man behind Red Bull's recent success, I don't know, I think that over the years Red Bull have built a very solid platform and I believe that even without Newey they will win the WDC and WCC in 2025, next year's cars will be an evolution of the 2024 concept and RBR is miles ahead
Poor Luca :tearful:

I know Adrian Newey has an interest in boats and that is a good part of the world to have one. He deserves some time off to have some fun and enjoy himself, after all, none of us are getting any younger and it's not like he can't afford it is it?

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Recently I've learned that Newey is a close friend with Eddie Jordan. The same Eddie said that his friend wants some sabbatical from the sport. He didn't say anything about retirement.

Funny thing - when the story broke up about CH and PA, Eddie's name never came up as a leaker. Sounds almost unbelievable.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aty wrote: 2 weeks ago Recently I've learned that Newey is a close friend with Eddie Jordan. The same Eddie said that his friend wants some sabbatical from the sport. He didn't say anything about retirement.

Funny thing - when the story broke up about CH and PA, Eddie's name never came up as a leaker. Sounds almost unbelievable.
If of all the many posts regarding Adrian's future on the forum over the. recent days since confirmed I dont think anyone has spoken of a full walk away from F1 as a permanent option. The very words of Eddie Jordan and his thoughts have been posted here. Most of the recent posts have made mention of partial retirement, ambitions in lifestyle away from F1, part time work, or a temporary F1 break. Partial retirement, sabbatical, call it what you want, they all mean a similar thing and it is the interpretation of the words that perhaps differs. The great unknown is the relationship between his various ambitions, both within and away from F1 and how that balance is finally resolved is likely something only Adrian knows for sure.

I imagine some of what is in his mind today wont be in his mind next week as his life goes through basically one of his age and reassessment of his life's priorities. over the coming weeks. A bit like his having weighed up the options of leaving Red Bull for a number of years now.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Even Williams are being linked now. Rumour mill is in overdrive, which basically confirms that nobody knows anything, hence throwing enough shit at the wall because eventually something will stick.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.