Andretti F1

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

ANDRETTI: IF FORMULA ONE MANAGEMENT WANT BLOOD, I’M READY
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/04/22 ... -im-ready/

Yeah, Mario is making friends in high places. I think however he can start examining his own contribution to this situation. It was fine and proper to apply, but one should try to negotiate outcome, instead purchasing a Colt 45.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

According to this week's new report, the Andretti F1 staff is up to 120 (from 80 two weeks ago) and they are aiming for 400: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 5f46&ei=23
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

U.S. Congress weighs in on Andretti F1 situation
https://racer.com/2024/05/01/u-s-congre ... situation/
The 12 members call for responses to three specific questions, asking:

“Under what authority does FOM proceed to reject admission of Andretti Global?
I thought FOM explained already why Andretti's entry was deffered to later date. The F1 is registered in UK, and now US congress will tell them how to run what is essentially private business?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

It is an issue for F1 as they do business in the U.S.

I am trying to get a list of 12 congressmen who signed this letter. One was John James from Michigan's 10th congressional district: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jame ... olitician). Interesting bio. This is his district: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan% ... l_district

Some more articles: https://www.grandprix.com/news/us-congr ... viour.html

They are demanding a response from Liberty media by May 3rd (tomorrow): https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motors ... 088b&ei=12 and https://racer.com/2024/05/01/u-s-congre ... situation/

Trump will be at the race. I wonder who else will be there with him. Perhaps John James who was considered by Trump for Ambassador to UN.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Aty wrote: 2 days ago
U.S. Congress weighs in on Andretti F1 situation
https://racer.com/2024/05/01/u-s-congre ... situation/
The 12 members call for responses to three specific questions, asking:

“Under what authority does FOM proceed to reject admission of Andretti Global?
I thought FOM explained already why Andretti's entry was deffered to later date. The F1 is registered in UK, and now US congress will tell them how to run what is essentially private business?
competition law issues are always extra-territorial, I think that the US position is entirely reasonable, a few years ago similar issues have been raised by the EU commission
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

FOM is running their business as they see fit. It is their prerogative. Andretti was not refused, he was told to wait for a while. Nothing more, nothing less. I am hoping Liberty will be able to explain this situation, and send them back to take care about real problems.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aty wrote: 1 day ago FOM is running their business as they see fit. It is their prerogative. Andretti was not refused, he was told to wait for a while. Nothing more, nothing less. I am hoping Liberty will be able to explain this situation, and send them back to take care about real problems.
Formula One World Championship is not FOM's business, it is a sporting event governed by the FIA. FOM can't decide who plays the game and who doesn't, they should look after the business side of things only
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Names of the dozen congressmen:

The members who signed the letter are Reps. John James, R-Mich., Don Davis, D-N.C., Jim Banks, R-Ind., Jake Ellzey, R-Texas, Morgan Luttrell, R-Texas, Erin Houchin, R-Ind., André Carson, D-Ind., Jared Moskowitz, D-Fla., Rudy Yakym III, R-Ind., Ronny Jackson, R-Texas, Dan Kildee, D-Mich., and Haley Stevens, D-Mich.

Nice to see some bi-partisanship.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 day ago
Aty wrote: 1 day ago FOM is running their business as they see fit. It is their prerogative. Andretti was not refused, he was told to wait for a while. Nothing more, nothing less. I am hoping Liberty will be able to explain this situation, and send them back to take care about real problems.
FOM can't decide who plays the game and who doesn't...
At the end FOM did exactly that. They didn't explicitly rejected him, but complexities of individual financial positions weren't resolved. Later on when new CA comes into effect, I think Andretti's share will be determined, and he will be included (so it seems). If it was only up to FiA, then Andretti was going to receive special considerations long time ago. He could of course race without financial compensation (and then have 24 politicians crying foul on his behalf).
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ruslan wrote: 1 day ago Names of the dozen congressmen:

The members who signed the letter are Reps. John James, R-Mich., Don Davis, D-N.C., Jim Banks, R-Ind., Jake Ellzey, R-Texas, Morgan Luttrell, R-Texas, Erin Houchin, R-Ind., André Carson, D-Ind., Jared Moskowitz, D-Fla., Rudy Yakym III, R-Ind., Ronny Jackson, R-Texas, Dan Kildee, D-Mich., and Haley Stevens, D-Mich.

Nice to see some bi-partisanship.
good for them!!!!!!!!!!!
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aty wrote: 1 day ago
At the end FOM did exactly that. They didn't explicitly rejected him, but complexities of individual financial positions weren't resolved. Later on when new CA comes into effect, I think Andretti's share will be determined, and he will be included (so it seems). If it was only up to FiA, then Andretti was going to receive special considerations long time ago. He could of course race without financial compensation (and then have 24 politicians crying foul on his behalf).
your summary of the situation is perfect and highlights the key issue here: if F1 is a competition sanctioned by a public body (the FIA) then it must be open to everyone who complies with the rules of the game, the Concorde Agreement is in breach of competition law, competition law experts have been saying this for years, and now FOM has found some politicians with some guts... Formula 1 has been run like an old boys club for too long, it's about time that someone stopped this nonsense
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

your summary of the situation is perfect and highlights the key issue here: if F1 is a competition sanctioned by a public body (the FIA) then it must be open to everyone who complies with the rules of the game, the Concorde Agreement is in breach of competition law, competition law experts have been saying this for years, and now FOM has found some politicians with some guts... Formula 1 has been run like an old boys club for too long, it's about time that someone stopped this nonsense
Then there are practicality considerations. I am not sure you can run GP events like Boston marathon. (Just show up...) The game of racing for safety reason is highly organised event. (Pits and track density limitations, borderless control of rules compliance, etc.).
Allow me to remind you that in US you will find a lot of golf clubs with restrictions F1 emulates, and I don't hear any complains from politicians. It would actually not surprise me to find out that a few of those 12 (Ruslan named) are actually happily golfing on such venues, unobstructed by traffic.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Then there are practicality considerations. I am not sure you can run GP events like Boston marathon. (Just show up...) The game of racing for safety reason is highly organised event. (Pits and track density limitations, borderless control of rules compliance, etc.).
Allow me to remind you that in US you will find a lot of golf clubs with restrictions F1 emulates, and I don't hear any complains from politicians. It would actually not surprise me to find out that a few of those 12 (Ruslan named) are actually happily golfing on such venues, unobstructed by traffic.
in terms of pits and track density there are very clear rules and it is something that they manage to address every other week end when different series go racing: if there is not enough room for all the teams in the pits the ones at the bottom of the standings are given an area in the paddock and then are given entry to the pits once they manage to pass the pre-qualifying sessions. In terms of tracks most tracks have a FIA homologation for 24 or 26 cars, if I'm not mistaken the only place on the F1 calendar with a 20 cars limit is Monaco.

In terms of golf clubs it's important to remind that these are private facilities and even at those clubs everyone is entitled to join the competitions (sometimes you have to have a minimum par), so in a sense even private clubs cannot ban people with the necessary qualifications to compete in official events
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Signore Scipio,
you seems to know a lot about the game of golf. :haha:
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Aty wrote: 1 day ago Signore Scipio,
you seems to know a lot about the game of golf. :haha:
my dad used to be a keen golfer (he's too old to play now), I was a member at a golf club for a few years even though I played only a handful of times, it's not my cup of tea, but many among my work partners are golfers and they seem to talk about golf endlessly

as a matter of fact it's the same for most sports, tennis for example, you can't play at certain clubs but you can enter any official competition at any club
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 day ago If F1 is a competition sanctioned by a public body (the FIA) then it must be open to everyone who complies with the rules of the game, the Concorde Agreement is in breach of competition law, competition law experts have been saying this for years, and now FOM has found some politicians with some guts... Formula 1 has been run like an old boys club for too long, it's about time that someone stopped this nonsense
This just needed bolding.