Computer Game Screenshots

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The only hillclimb sim I'll never need.

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Finally the 1906 Renault AK is released as v1.00 and I get to live my sim racing dream. It'll only do 70mph on a flat course (faster if you're going downhill) and it has absolutely no brakes at all, but wow, what a car.

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Finally the 1906 Renault AK is released as v1.00 and I get to live my sim racing dream. It'll only do 70mph on a flat course (faster if you're going downhill) and it has absolutely no brakes at all, but wow, what a car.

Looks like its at Goodwood too.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Finally the 1906 Renault AK is released as v1.00 and I get to live my sim racing dream. It'll only do 70mph on a flat course (faster if you're going downhill) and it has absolutely no brakes at all, but wow, what a car.

Looks like its at Goodwood too.
Yep. This car is even more fun to drive than I imagined it could be. I've made two revelations since I first drove the car. Firstly, the foot brake doesn't do much - the car has a handbrake attached to the rear wheels. I don't have a separate handbrake controller so I just mapped the handbrake AND footbrake to the middle pedal. Now I'm able to slow down sufficiently for corners.

Secondly, I'm going to revise that 70mph figure I mentioned earlier. I didn't realise that I was revving it so high that I was damaging the engine. So I was doing the whole lap in 2nd gear and topping out at 71mph. Now I realised you have to change up around 1200-1500rpm, my top speed has increased to 85mph and I'm no longer damaging the engine. And it feels really hairy going into the corners at that speed.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Assuming that rF2's physics are accurate, I totally get why shots like this were common in the mid-70s.

The March 751 is incredibly unstable and twitchy at high speed, through a slight kink it feels like it's pivoting on the front wheels and the rears want to overtake. Such gentle steering inputs are needed. However, if you get all the braking done before the corner then try to power your way through you just get severe mid-corner understeer. So it seems to be about braking as deeply as possible into the corner to get it sideways, then using the throttle to maintain the rotation. Otherwise the tyres just scrub and you slide wide of the apex. And you can lean on those rears so much, they really give a ton of grip. Such a different driving style to what I'm used to, but also what I would expect of a car with such huge rear tyres.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I'm the car in 5th... :annoyed:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***