[BTCC/STCC/TCR etc.] 2023

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Trans Am race four and grass fire number four! This time a car went off and sat still for a few seconds which was enough :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Vassago wrote: 1 month ago Three Trans Am races in Symmons Plans and three times it was interrupted by bush fire. I thought March is autumn in Australia? Guess Tasmania has a different climate after all? :tongue: @EversoBiggyballies
Our summers often seem to run later. February in Vic and Tasmania are often the warmest months but often March is also warm. I usually work on Autumn starting in April. Only last weeknd at Phillip Island it was high 30's every day. Its still nudging 30C now and set thatway for a few days so we are certainly having a late summer. We also have had a very dry summer so very bush fire friendly. Tasmania is usually cooler and wetter than Victoria. Tasmania is also fairly heavily forested which again gives plenty of fuel.

Just looked and there are 9 active bushfires in Tasmania.... all in the Northern part. Symmonds Plains is near Launceston in the North and that is the region with 5 of those 9 active bushfires.

This fire alert map indicates the regions suffering. https://alert.tas.gov.au/?view=both

Sadly I note the police are investigating the cause of these latest fires which implies either carelessness or deliberate action causing them.
People dont seem to understand how a change of wind direction at the wrong time can spell disaster.

There are some nutters around. Sometimes kids, sometimes campers and tourists. Within the last couple of years I remember one major fire which cost life and homes in Vic. proved to have actually been started by a bored fireman wanting some real action rather than training and minor stuff.! It just got out of control. I believe he is now enjoying accommodation provided by the government. :wink:

Re the stoppages im not sure of the reasons of stoppages to the racing as it says the neighboring fires were not considered threatening to homes or lives, but maybe it is just a case of a quick redeploymennt of the fire services at Symmonds to wet down areas to reduce risk of spreading. :idunno:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Meanwhile there was drama in TCR Australia at Symmons Plains as Race 1 points were voided only after Race 2 finished and Tony D'Alberto who won Race 1 decided to come into the pits after the formation lap for Race 3 in protest.

https://speedcafe.com/dalberto-sits-out ... n-protest/

Race 1 only lasted 10 of the scheduled 30 laps after red flag for Ryan Casha's accident in the hairpin and the series decided they won't even award half-points while this also meant grid for Race 3 was compromised. Apparently it all came about after a protest from Garry Rogers Motorsport but it's anyone's guess which part of the garage it came from (Cameron, Cox or Casha). The latter would be the most obvious since he had the worst result aka 0 points but he's also a series rookie and I doubt he has much to say at this stage of career. Funnily enough Cameron was later punted off in Race 2 by one of the Harris brothers and only finished 12th.

Apparently there are some rumours D'Alberto might skip the next round and whatever that means for the series as a whole it's up to debate. Rogers sold his stock in Supercars and last year he bought the controlling share of Australian Racing Group which runs TCR Australia so I have no clue what kind of game is he playing here. Do we need more villains in motor racing and Rogers has brought out the pitchforks? Whom does it actually benefit since he can't win any potential war with Supercars?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Vassago wrote: 1 month ago Meanwhile there was drama in TCR Australia at Symmons Plains as Race 1 points were voided only after Race 2 finished and Tony D'Alberto who won Race 1 decided to come into the pits after the formation lap for Race 3 in protest......

Yeah I watched the last race on TV and heard of the conflict and stuff. It is difficult to say where the issue of no points and the timing of the race finish came from but in my mind the finger has to be pointed at Motorsports Australia (or CAMS as they used to be known). They are the ones that make the calls on such matters, not TCR or even the promoter, Speedseries. Also in terms of the time certain finishes and the TV deals for this series were all done by MA.

From what I gather the race could not be extended even though the TV Broadcast slot allowed for it, because of the need for TV crap like podiums and winners interviews being influential in the race shortening.

The protest that sparked it all off is weird and complicated too. The protest was lodged by GRM against Alberto. GRM are a major shareholder in the Speedseries thing. Of course they are running cars for separate teams / sponsors, each with their own agenda so it might have been a GRM protest on behalf of team x y or z. It has certainly damaged TCR Aus directly though.

They only had 13 cars at the start and to lose their current Champion (Alberto) to something like that is not good. Having said that the final race, despite its compromised numbers, was good, very good, albeit borderline on driving standards and the amount of biff.

What will be sad is if TdA's backers and Honda decide to take things to another level and choose to not turn up next round, in a sort of 'pull the plug' way. I guess the final outcome will be down to meetings and words to ensure the sort of bullshit that happened doesnt happen again. TCR cant survive here if they continue to make it too difficult for themselves. Wherever the fault lies, MA, TCR or Speedseries, even the Teams it needs to be nipped in the bud now.

Perhaps MA shoultnt be involved in the commercial side of the series.... it seems they might have got caught in between a rock and a hard place, having to juggle sporting regulations to appease their commercial arrangement with a Broadcaster wanting to air winner stuff over an actual race. Again that gets complex because those winners probably get more close up sponsor exposure on TV with a suited stickered driver in front of a sponsor laden car post race. Moreso than a long shot TV shot of racing.

As that American bloke with a beard once said, "You cant please all the people all the time."
They seem to have missed the fact you can please all the people some of the time.

Vassago

Post by Vassago »

Garry Rogers effectively owns the entire Shannons Speed series since he has 95% stock of the company (ARG) that runs it:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/spe ... e2d28736b1

So what do you do if a series owner runs a team in it and decides to cancel the points that directly affects probably the biggest title rival? Buchan is the reigning champion but he kinda collected points and won the title by avoiding DNFs more than raw speed over Sweeny IMO.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Whoops my bad I thought Td'A won last year but now see it was 2022 he won. Time flies.
Re Garry / Barry Rogers its a mysterywhy they should do that to the series they own. I didnt realise they were 95% owners though. I can only think it was pressure from one of the sponsors teams they run that would make them shoot their series in the foot like that. :idunno:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 1 month ago Meanwhile there was drama in TCR Australia at Symmons Plains as Race 1 points were voided only after Race 2 finished and Tony D'Alberto who won Race 1 decided to come into the pits after the formation lap for Race 3 in protest.

https://speedcafe.com/dalberto-sits-out ... n-protest/
The plot thickens.....

Wall Racing lodges intent to appeal after Tasmania TCR controversy

I will say the key is in the wording here..... intent to appeal is just a buying of time and keeping in with the protest protocols over timing. A sort of way to keep the kettle boiling. It does not mean Wall Racing WILL protest. They are just keeping their options open. It buys them time to get their evidence in place should they wish to go ahead and officially lodge a protest.

Interestingly Wall racing were against the protest and had encouraged Td'A to race rather than bail in protest as he did.

Motorsport Australia has now provided the following update, 48 hours on from the controversy:
“Motorsport Australia can provide the following update regarding the judicial process for the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series at the recent AWC Race Tasmania event.

“After the decision was made to award full points for Race 1, Garry Rogers Motorsport protested this decision after the provisional results for Race 1 were released on Sunday morning.

“That protest was subsequently heard and upheld, with Stewards determining no points would be awarded for the opening race.

“As part of the standard judicial process that is available to all competitors, Wall Racing has since lodged a notice of intention to appeal that decision, with a hearing to be scheduled prior to the next round of the Supercheap Auto TCR Australia Series at Race Phillip Island should the appeal documentation be provided in the prescribed time.

“Given that the judicial process is continuing, the overall round standings for TCR remains provisional.

“Motorsport Australia will advise the outcome of any future judicial matters relating to this event.”
While there were rumours that all but the GRM drivers would sit out Race 3 of the weekend, it was just D’Alberto who did so in the end.

He explained on the broadcast, “I think it’s so unprofessional to happen so late in the piece. I had to make a stand.”