[WEC] 2024 Qatar 1812km

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote: 1 month ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago Cant believe the Peugeot slowed to a crawled on the penultimate lap. :tearful: :sick:

Podium lost on the final lap.Pissed off after they had run so strongly all race. All I heard was no power.

I hope it wasnt no power because it had run out of fuel. Sad
And probably won't get classified. It did not reach Parc Fermé under its own power. (Toyota 2016 vibes)
It seems it was a lack of fuel issue. Peugeot believe it was a fuelling issue in the last splash and dash they did. The car was crawling because it was moving purely on the hybrid power.
The No. 93 Peugeot 9X8 of Jean-Eric Vergne, Nico Mueller and Mikkel Jensen appeared to be on course to finish second behind race winners Porsche Penske Motorsport in Saturday’s Qatar 1812km, until Vergne suddenly slowed in the closing minutes before crossing the line in seventh place.

Speaking to reporters gathered after the race, Finot said Peugeot is still working to fully identify and understand the issue, but suspected that a fueling issue was likely to blame for the team’s woes.

Vergne brought the No. 93 Peugeot in for a late fuel stop on lap 318 of the 335-lap contest, which is where the issue likely developed.

“Unfortunately, what happened in the last lap was not scheduled,” said Finot.

“We have to analyze, but I think we had an issue with the fueling of the car when we did the splash and dash. We didn’t have the expected rate of fuel. We have to analyze.”

As a result, Vergne ran out of fuel, with Finot revealing he completed the final lap on hybrid power as the No. 93 crawled to seventh place while a trio of Porsche 963s locked out the podium.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

erwin greven wrote: 1 month ago
And probably won't get classified. It did not reach Parc Fermé under its own power. (Toyota 2016 vibes)
Not only did they not get classified, the got DSQ'd. Seems a bit harsh, but its the wording of the regs. I still think it is harsh.
However, following a lengthy investigation that went into the early hours of Monday, Peugeot was found guilty of breaching both the sporting and technical regulations by the stewards.

It was noted that Vergne was unable to return to the pits after taking the chequered flag, with his Peugeot having stopped on the start/finish straight soon after reaching the finish.

Consequently, the car also did not make it to parc ferme on its own power, leading to a double violating of rules.

Stewards Statement
"The competitor committed a breach of the technical regulation (art. 5.3.2 of LMH Technical regulation) by non rejoining its pits after having used the electric dc of the MGUK,” read the statements.

"Due to this violation, and the choice of the competitor not to comply with this technical rule hoping to be classified, car 93 was able to cross the line before stopping definitively in the straight, unable to rejoin the parc fermé."

"However, a competitor cannot obtain the benefit of any violation he committed with regards to the relevant regulation."

"Therefore, the stewards determined that the fact of having car 93 crossing the line cannot be taken into account with regard to the relevant sporting regulations."

"Moreover, car 93 was not able to rejoin the parc fermé under the conditions stated in articles 15.1.1 and15.1.3 of 2024 FIA WEC Sporting regulations. Consequently, the stewards decided for these two motivations, joined and separatly to impose the disqualification of car 93."

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I haven't been able to follow any of this event, but I note that Toyota were not troubling the podium, Peugeot have found something from nowhere, and Porsche looks very good.

What's the deal with that? It's a big change from last year.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago I haven't been able to follow any of this event, but I note that Toyota were not troubling the podium, Peugeot have found something from nowhere, and Porsche looks very good.

What's the deal with that? It's a big change from last year.
Partly BoP, partly that Toyota is not the only big fish in the pond anymore. While the the BoP will always be controversial and very complicated, I got the impression from the Eurosport broadcast that the Hypercar BoP makes sandbagging self-defeating; as fast as you can go in testing is as fast you can go in racing - meaning if you go slow in testing, you won't be allowed to go faster on race day. While it is always up for discussion, I don't think it is the most important thing to explain Toyota's form in Qatar, it was just that that the competition suited the track better.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Worth noting is that the Qatar track suited the Peugeot exceptionally well: flat, smooth, fast corners, barely any low speed stuff. Ground effect dream.

I don't think they will be as good at Imola, which is next up!
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Thanks. I love endurance and it's such a pity I don't have time or access to watch it other than Le Mans.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Cheeveer wrote: 1 month ago Worth noting is that the Qatar track suited the Peugeot exceptionally well: flat, smooth, fast corners, barely any low speed stuff. Ground effect dream.

I don't think they will be as good at Imola, which is next up!
Where they will debut their EVO car.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
leon_90
Favourite Motorsport: Historical F1/WSC
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 246(T) - 312(P)B
Favourite Driver: Lorenzo Bandini
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by leon_90 »

So happy to have found this thread, was looking for people to talk to about this series since I started following it last year!
I'll just add some infos that I haven't seen discussed so far: yes, Peugeot will debut a winged version of their car at Imola, however Porsche should also sport a new version of their engine after Le Mans, hence why they're not selling any more private cars for the moment. The engine will have a redesigned crankshaft. Ferrari is also considering debuting the 499P EVO either during the closing stages of this season or at the beginning of the next one.

Yes, BoP was very unfavourable to Toyota and Ferrari. They were the heaviest and that isn't great on a sandy surface like that of Qatar. After all, Toyota cannot have lost all of its margin of performance in the space of a few months (back in Bahrain they were still lapping the whole field essentially). On the other hand, Porsche and Peugeot especially had a very favourable BoP. Not to detract from their performance, mind you. Porsche is notorious for building "wrong" cars and then improving them consistently to the point of making them absolute winners. Peugeot had, as noted by Cheever, the advantage of racing on a fast track, suited to the configuration of its car.

Since I'm here, I'll post the quali session that has been uploaded on the official WEC channel. Race *should* be up during the weekend.
EDIT whoops I see there's a dedicated section for that and someone who alredy does that, sorry!
Last edited by leon_90 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
leon_90
Favourite Motorsport: Historical F1/WSC
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 246(T) - 312(P)B
Favourite Driver: Lorenzo Bandini
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by leon_90 »

As a side note, I noticed last Friday and Saturday how Ferrari's social accounts were posting photos and updates only regarding the F1 race in Bahrain. The most absolute zero concerning the presence in Qatar with the 499P. A silence that says a lot about what sells more and how much more.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

If it's not Le Mans, it's not interesting. If they're not winning, it's not interesting. Simple as that.
ariz7581
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One, 24h Le Mans
Favourite Driver: Juan Manuel Fangio
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by ariz7581 »

My heart broke when Peugeot stopped. Pug undeniably had the best BoP advantage out there so I'm not sure if Peugeot can get any other real chance to win. It's a Porsche sweep in the end but it was like something more. Enjoyed the whole race a lot.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Wow.... as a result of 3D Scans post race.... thats quite fancy and hi tec scrutineering. Should send a message to others thinking of tweaking the rules, or as in this case not checking the delivered items for quality or as per design.....
According to the report, a 3D scan performed at post-race scrutineering found discrepancies between the bodywork used at the event and the official bodywork CAD model supplied by Cadillac at the car’s homologation.

It was determined that the rear diffuser strakes fitted on both the left and right hand sides of the car were both fitted higher and misaligned than the nominal value from the CAD model, including the allowed tolerances.

After additional checks, stewards summoned team manager Stephen Mitas, who was able to produce evidence from Cadillac chassis partner Dallara.

This came in the form of a report stating that the infringement was the result of an error, with the parts having been delivered “without final quality control.”
It does say that there is no suggestion it was a deliberate act, just that it was not as per homologation so the only option was DSQ.

In a statement in the wake of the disqualification, Cadillac copped it sweet with an it is what it is type statement. Making a fuss would only make it more difficult to make it go away, and its not like they lost a win or even a podium.

“During the FIA World Endurance Championship race in Qatar on March 2, the rear diffuser strakes on the No. 2 Cadillac V-Series.R were unintentionally out of specification relative to the homologated height. We have cooperated with the FIA and ACO and accept their findings.”

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

As part of the BoP revision of early last year, remember the ACO tried to implement a new BoP system, the 3D scan was part of this. No team could easily make a few unnoticeable changes to the chassis.

Glad this worked tremendously well.

I still got the feeling that the BoP system deliberately was sabotaged by the manufactures to get rid of it. One of the ideas behind the new BoP system of the ACO was to get rid of sandbagging. And i think the teams were sandbagging massively to make it seem as if the LMDh cars were way too slow compared to the LMH cars.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 1 month ago As part of the BoP revision of early last year, remember the ACO tried to implement a new BoP system, the 3D scan was part of this. No team could easily make a few unnoticeable changes to the chassis.

Glad this worked tremendously well.
Interesting video of the 3D Scanner in use and a bit of what it does, how it ultimately saves time and is consistent.. A full scan of a car can be done in less than 30 minutes. Doing the job manually would not only be less accurate, more prone to (human) error, but would also take many times longer . This video is actually the IMSA application and presented by Marshall Pruett, but WEC use the same application and software. It also suggests these scanners are used on all cars multiple times per weekend.