2023 banter & Silly season thread for MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

SBan83 wrote: 5 months ago That was a title disappointment. Martin was on the edge today it seemed...first getting out of shape in Bagnaia's slipstream and dropping to P7, then running into Marquez and taking them both out.
Yeah Martin looked like an accident waiting to happen from the get go of the main race. A bit of an anti climax end to it all at the end of the day.

So season done, but for the silly bits. I guess the major news is that the shit has hit the fan in the land of Aprilia Satellite teams.....

Satellite Aprilia team CryptoDATA RNF has been kicked out of MotoGP on the eve of 2023 post-season testing.

A statement issued by MotoGP announced:
“The MotoGP Selection Committee, comprising members of FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports, have decided not to select the CryptoDATA RNF MotoGP Team for the 2024 season.

“Repeated infractions and breaches of the Participation Agreement affecting the public image of MotoGP have obliged this decision.

“The Selection Committee will be reviewing applications for a new Independent Team, using Aprilia machinery, to join the MotoGP class grid for 2024.
It was announced ahead of the weekend race that RNF founder and 40 percent shareholder Razlan Razali was leaving the team.
That came amid speculation of financial difficulties and a possible takeover.

CrytoDATA, which became a 60 percent shareholder a year ago, responded to those rumours with a statement claiming the team was operating on a "business as usual" basis. Razali owns the 40% balance

The team had this year fielded Miguel Oliveira and Raul Fernandez, a line-up which was set to continue into 2024.

A lot of blame was being flung around by Crypto bank, none of it their fault, Razali was mis-spending money etc. There will be no doubt a lot of he said they said going backwards and forwards over the next few days, general blame mongering, discrediting and bitch fighting and no doubt the truth will gradually unfold.

It seems that DORNA dont like the way CryptoDATA operate.... and neither does Razali. Crypto DATA are implying they fired Razali from operations but it seems Razali actually resigned after Malaysia a couple of weeks ago..... this proven by info on UK Companies House.

The good news is that there will be a Satellite Aprilia Team on the Grid next year..... the rumours at the moment suggest (NASCAR's) Trackhouse Racing are going to buy the team.

So at the moment all that is clear is that the team known as CryptoDATA RNF has been kicked out but an Aprilia Satellit Team will be present next year.

Watch this space as they say.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

With all that I forgot to mention that in more routine Silly Season stuff, a couple of rider moves have been confirmed.

A bit of a musical chairs has evolved.....

MM93 (as we knew) Repsol Honda > Gresini

Marini from VR46 > Repsol Honda

DIG from Gresini > VR46

Repsol Honda has confirmed the signing of Luca Marini to replace MM93, while Fabio Di Giannantonio, the rider ousted from Gresini by MM's signing there has used his lifeline and has become Marini's replacement at VR46. So the same riders involved for next year, just different colour leathers they will be sporting on their new rides.

And that starts today..... Marini will be wearing Repsol leathers in the post season Valencia test starting today. I presume same for MM at Gresini and DIG at VR46.

Must have been a tough decision for Marini to make to bail on the Rossi family and VR46 connection that he has run under for most of his career , certainly Moto 2 before MotoGP. To jump off a winning Ducati in a team owned by your (half) Brother, who has supported and provided for much of your career, onto an unknown territory of Honda.... jeez there must have been a large Repsol/Honda Factory Rider cheque involved. If MM 93 thinks a Satellite Ducati is a better prospect than a works Honda that has spent two years MIA.....

Other riders onboard their new seats ahead of 2024 are Alex Rins, Johann Zarco, Franco Morbidelli, and rookie Pedro Acosta.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hehehe it seems MM93 has settled into the Ducati life quite well. Not end of day, and there is still less than an hour to go, but an hour ago and Marc was sitting on top of the time sheets.

I believe that he has been relieved of top position now by Vinales and maybe Bezzechi.

Edit: Times with one hour to go. The up and down arrows just indivate if a rider was higher or lower than the previous hour.

2023 OFFICIAL VALENCIA MOTOGP TEST - TUESDAY (4PM)

POS RIDER NAT TEAM TIME LAP SPEED
1 ^1 Maverick Viñales SPA Aprilia Racing (RS-GP) 1m 29.253s 73/74 330.5
2 ^14 Marco Bezzecchi ITA VR46 Ducati (GP) +0.093s 58/59 337
3 ˅2. Marc Marquez SPA Gresini Ducati (GP) +0.171s 46/49 335.4
4 = Alex Marquez SPA Gresini Ducati (GP) +0.385s 53/56 332.1
5 ^6 Fabio Di Giannantonio ITA VR46 Ducati (GP) +0.409s 51/52 330.5
6 ˅5 Raul Fernandez SPA RNF Aprilia (RS-GP) +0.457s 34/52 333.7
7 = Enea Bastianini ITA Ducati Lenovo (GP) +0.543s 53/56 333.7
8 ˅5 Francesco Bagnaia ITA Ducati Lenovo (GP) +0.717s 35/47 337
9 ^3 Joan Mir SPA Repsol Honda (RC213V) +0.798s 58/61 333.7
10 ˅4 Augusto Fernandez SPA Tech3 GASGAS (RC16) +0.824s 66/70 327.4
11 ˅3 Jorge Martin SPA Pramac Ducati (GP) +0.899s 36/49 335.4
12 ˅3 Fabio Quartararo FRA Monster Yamaha (YZR-M1) +0.961s 41/52 332.1
13 ^4 Franco Morbidelli ITA Pramac Ducati (GP) +1.011s 47/54 332.1
14 ˅4 Johann Zarco FRA LCR Honda (RC213V) +1.030s 45/55 330.5
15 ˅1 Brad Binder RSA Red Bull KTM (RC16) +1.168s 39/40 337
16 ˅3 Luca Marini ITA Repsol Honda (RC213V) +1.217s 46/60 328.9
17 ^3 Pedro Acosta SPA Tech3 GASGAS (RC16)* +1.253s 53/61 332.1
18 ˅3 Jack Miller AUS Red Bull KTM (RC16) +1.442s 49/49 330.5
19 ˅1 Cal Crutchlow GBR Yamaha Test Rider (YZR-M1) +1.512s 63/65 330.5
20 ^1 Takaaki Nakagami JPN LCR Honda (RC213V) +1.723s 54/58 328.9
21 ˅2 Alex Rins SPA Monster Yamaha (YZR-M1) +1.975s 26/41 330.5
22 = Aleix Espargaro SPA Aprilia Racing (RS-GP) +3.059s 8/17 328.9
23 = Lorenzo Savadori ITA ApriliaTest Rider (RS-GP) +3.431s 8/23 325.8

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 months ago
Satellite Aprilia team CryptoDATA RNF has been kicked out of MotoGP on the eve of 2023 post-season testing.

A statement issued by MotoGP announced:
“The MotoGP Selection Committee, comprising members of FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports, have decided not to select the CryptoDATA RNF MotoGP Team for the 2024 season.

“Repeated infractions and breaches of the Participation Agreement affecting the public image of MotoGP have obliged this decision.

“The Selection Committee will be reviewing applications for a new Independent Team, using Aprilia machinery, to join the MotoGP class grid for 2024.
It was announced ahead of the weekend race that RNF founder and 40 percent shareholder Razlan Razali was leaving the team.
That came amid speculation of financial difficulties and a possible takeover.

CrytoDATA, which became a 60 percent shareholder a year ago, responded to those rumours with a statement claiming the team was operating on a "business as usual" basis. Razali owns the 40% balance

The team had this year fielded Miguel Oliveira and Raul Fernandez, a line-up which was set to continue into 2024.

A lot of blame was being flung around by Crypto bank, none of it their fault, Razali was mis-spending money etc. There will be no doubt a lot of he said they said going backwards and forwards over the next few days, general blame mongering, discrediting and bitch fighting and no doubt the truth will gradually unfold.

It seems that DORNA dont like the way CryptoDATA operate.... and neither does Razali. Crypto DATA are implying they fired Razali from operations but it seems Razali actually resigned after Malaysia a couple of weeks ago..... this proven by info on UK Companies House.

The good news is that there will be a Satellite Aprilia Team on the Grid next year..... the rumours at the moment suggest (NASCAR's) Trackhouse Racing are going to buy the team.

Watch this space as they say.

Trackhouse MotoGP entry confirmed

he Trackhouse MotoGP launch, attended by (left to right) Dorna CSO Carlos Ezpeleta, Aprilia CEO Massimo Rivola, Trackhouse owner Justin Marks, and Dorna CCO Dan Rossomondo.

NASCAR’s Trackhouse Racing has been confirmed as Aprilia’s new satellite team in the MotoGP World Championship, replacing RNF.

It will field Miguel Oliveira and Raul Fernandez, who rode for RNF in 2023 before it was banished from the category due to breaches of its Participation Agreement.

Trackhouse’s MotoGP programme will be “managed by Trackhouse Entertainment Group from Nashville, Tennessee but operate in Noale, Italy in an alliance with motorcycle manufacturer Aprilia and the Piaggio Group,” according to its announcement.

The team was founded by part-time NASCAR driver Justin Marks just three years ago and has already won six races in the Cup Series, including Shane van Gisbergen’s sensational debut victory in Chicago, while Ross Chastain finished second in the 2022 standings in its #1 Camaro.
“We believe deeply in the mission of Dorna and are committed to bringing something new and exciting to the championship while working hard to help grow and amplify this amazing sport to millions of new fans in North America and beyond.”

That potential to grow MotoGP in the United States is obviously attractive to Dorna Sports.

While a race livery is yet to be revealed, an Aprilia in a Stars and Stripes livery reminiscent of one of Nicky Hayden’s was used for the launch event, which was also attended by Dorna Chief Sporting Officer Carlos Ezpeleta, Aprilia CEO Massimo Rivola, and Dorna Chief Commercial Officer Dan Rossomondo.

Ezpeleta said, “We know this new team is a perfect fit for our sport: they’ve already shown they know how to win and arrive with a great personality.

It doesnt seem to be stopping with a Moto GP team....Trackhouse has also been linked to Moto3 after the exit of PruestelGP from the lightweight class, although there is no official word yet on that initiative.

There is a slot available in the lightweight class after PruestelGP, which fielded Australian Joel Kelso and Spaniard Xavier Artigas this year, suddenly decided to leave the championship following the loss of backing from Chinese brand CFMoto.

Marks appears to have already held talks about a possible technical alliance in Moto3 having attended the Valencia season finale and met with Leopard Racing owner Flavio Becca, reports Italy’s GPOne.

With a Moto3 programme, Trackhouse would have the opportunity to blood young talent for its and/or Aprilia’s efforts in the premier class.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Interesting investment in a totally different category. I understand when I see single seater teams diversify into GT racing, but going into bikes from NASCAR is world's apart
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Gresini reveals livery for Marc Marquez’s first Ducati MotoGP season

Despite Red Bull having left the factory Honda team, and their title sponsor Repsol reportedly negotiating a reduction in its financial commitment due to Marquez's escape, the Gresini Ducatis have been unveiled with a similar livery to recent years.

Marc Marquez's bike will feature his trademark #93 on the fairing in its usual font and colour, while brother and team-mate Alex Marquez's #73 is now blue rather than white.

Marc will of course only be running last years Ducati, not the same as this years works and Pramac teams, but he is looking forard to having fun again
“I won a lot but the last three to four years have been hard for me. Having fun again on the bike [was my priority] and Gresini was the only one that waited for me.

“Let's have an amazing year, but ‘if you eat too fast, you don't feel well'… The expectation is high but I know I have to work tirelessly to do what we can do.”
Got to say for a bike with MM93 on board it might have had a big (naming rights) sponsor, but not the case.

Same livery for Marquez Junior on the sister bike, just different colour numbers.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Another 2024 livery revealed......

Trackhouse reveals their first MotoGP livery

As we know, Trackhouse has taken over as Aprilia's satellite team after CryptoData RNF was expelled from the championship.

It will continue to field RNF's 2023 rider duo, Miguel Oliveira and Raul Fernandez, and is pushing for both to be on factory-spec RS-GP motorcycles rather than year-old machinery.

Trackhouse has now unveiled a Stars and Stripes livery for the 2024 MotoGP season, with sponsorship from Italian dairy brand Sterilgarda, which has been prominent in the lower classes.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 months ago
As we know, Trackhouse has taken over as Aprilia's satellite team after CryptoData RNF was expelled from the championship.

It will continue to field RNF's 2023 rider duo, Miguel Oliveira and Raul Fernandez, and is pushing for both to be on factory-spec RS-GP motorcycles rather than year-old machinery.
Well that didnt take long to get confirmed

Trackhouse secures factory-spec MotoGP bike

However it wont be a factory spec bike for both Trackstar riders from the start of the season... Miguel Oliveira will get full factory-spec bike to start the 2024 season with one, however Fernandez appears set to receive one later on during the season. It might not be too long according to Aprilia Racing CEO Massimo Rivola . He wants it to happen in the early part of the season, and is not bothered that the Satrllite team will have the same technology and machinery as the factory bikes
Rivola does not mind if Oliveira and/or Fernandez are beating Espargaro and/or Viñales.

“I will be the happiest guy to see Trackhouse in front because it will be an additional stimulation for Maverick and Aleix to perform well,” he stated.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This was news 3 or 4 days ago but worthj mentioning as it once again involves Trackhouse Racing. They sure as heck dont seem shy to invest big in key people in their new Moto GP adventure.....

Trackhouse coup: Brivio signed as MotoGP Team Principal

Trackhouse Racing has begun its time in MotoGP with the big-name signing of championship-winning Team Principal Davide Brivio. Davide is widely acclaimed for leading Suzuki to its first riders' title in two decades and first ever teams' title, both in 2020, having been there from the beginning of its most recent stint in the championship. Brivio's credits extend far beyond Suzuki, having also won five MotoGP riders' and four constructors' titles as Team Manager at Yamaha

After finishing with Suzuki, he made an at the time shock move to the world of Formula 1, specifically with Alpine, just months later, but parted ways with them last year.

Brivio had been tipped to join the struggling Honda Moto GP Team, perhaps displacing Alberto Puig as Team Manager, but has instead landed at MotoGP's newest team.

It seems Brivio and Marks met, clicked immediately and things happened very quickly.....As Brivio said, “It all happened very quickly in the last days with Justin [Marks, founder/co-owner] asking me to help Trackhouse in the MotoGP challenge,”

Marks is equally chuffed....
“It's incredible to have someone of Davide's calibre and experience leading the Trackhouse Racing MotoGP Team. “All of us at the company are humbled by the commitment he has made."

“It became apparent the moment I met Davide that he would be someone that fits perfectly in the Trackhouse culture. “I know he will lead us to great things on and off the racetrack.”