Who's Driving? Quiz - Part Two

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago So going with Luyendijk at Zandvoort.
:thumbsup: That's the one! Actually I thought the Marlboro logos on the kerbing would give the track away quite easily.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 months ago
Actually I thought the Marlboro logos on the kerbing would give the track away quite easily.
Didnt even notice them on my laptop tbh. Now you mention it its quite clear but I didnt really focus on the kerbs and probably thought it ws just the paint wearing away from th tyres.. "Should have gone to Specsavers!"

** Note to self .....next time open images in quizzes on PC with a bigger screen! :haha:

Good question! Played into my being really into F5000 back in the day. I remember stuff from back then much more clearly than what happened in F1etc last year

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago
Actually I thought the Marlboro logos on the kerbing would give the track away quite easily.
Didnt even notice them on my laptop tbh. Now you mention it its quite clear but I didnt really focus on the kerbs and probably thought it ws just the paint wearing away from th tyres.. "Should have gone to Specsavers!"

** Note to self .....next time open images in quizzes on PC with a bigger screen! :haha:

Good question! Played into my being really into F5000 back in the day. I remember stuff from back then much more clearly than what happened in F1etc last year
:rofl: Sign of age?

Back to the trivia quiz part of my photo post, I was actually surprised Arie Luyundyk's racing career went back that far. I thought he was a lot younger.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

:rofl: Sign of age?

Back to the trivia quiz part of my photo post, I was actually surprised Arie Luyundyk's racing career went back that far. I thought he was a lot younger.

First question, probably Yes :blush: .... but also I like to think its because getting info was much harder back in the day.... but much more fun. Then we would find stuff out by either talking to people in the paddock, nosing around the paddock, chatting to mechanics, overhearing things (the coffee shop / snack bar at the top of the paddock at Brands was excellent for that..... is it even still there?) was always good. And with the only source of journalist type stuff being Thursday when Autosport and Motoring News came out. Thursdays at work eveyone knew I would 'have a bad case of the trots', because I would spend half the day in the dunny. :suspicious: Reading the motoring comics from cover to cover. It was hard work back then :haha:

Now it is so easy with a click of a mouse, youtube etc etc its info overload, way too much to sink in. A sort of easy come easy go scenario. You know if it slips your mind you can get the phone out or laptop. I find now that even things Im 99% sure of I will often check it 'just because I can'.

Yeah Arie was around for ever at a reasonable level for 3 decades... that pic you showed he was already in F5000 in what 1973 through to the early noughties he was still doing Indy stuff like the 500. And thats doing it for a job and getting paid..... Im sure after that he still kicked around doing historic fun stuff .

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Luyendijk was mainly a Super Vee driver for a decade. And a good one, even very good. Occasional starts in F2 and F5000, plus a half arsed season in F3, then to the States and Super Vee, again. Persistence and sticking to what you know can sometimes pave a path, even if numerous others found it to be a dead end street.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Fair to say Arie was more lucky than he was talented? Only 3 wins in CART from 1984 till 1997. I was expecting more. Much more.