Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheeveer wrote: 3 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 months ago Wow it's been 2 years since I last watched a race!?

I'm 30 mins into the Detroit race - they just black flagged Fittipaldi for jumping the start, having never enforced such a rule before. He crossed the S/F line a whole car length ahead of the pole sitter. Kind of feels like modern F1 levels of stewarding. Slow start for Mansell but I have a feeling he'll come through.
Don't they say that the precedent was set in Australia were Mansell jumped the start?
According to my notes, Mansell was a bit slow off the start in Surfers...?

Anyway this race is turning into a crash fest. Not a lot of overtaking but off line it's like a rally course. Johansson just tried to go up the inside of Mansell in a yellow flag zone, slashed Mansell's tyre, broke his own front wing then hit the crashed car of Teo Fabi which was being recovered under a LOCAL yellow...Corner worker standing in front of Fabi's car got run over by the car being thrust forward. Man, safety was different back then.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Our Nige didn't get great results on the twisty tracks.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 months ago Our Nige didn't get great results on the twisty tracks.
Indeed...He crashed out of this one going at what looks like all of 50mph. Surprising winner which came out of nowhere after watching Pendle and Newman Haaa won every other race. Seems like the win was more of a lottery, overtaking was impossible and the stewarding in this race was absolutely atrocious.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Last night I watched the Portland race. It looked like it was going to be dull, but then Emmo pressured Mansell into a mistake, and then the rain came. It became a race of tyre strategy and quite a few cars spun off. Emmo won convincingly.

Honestly I think Emmo is one of the greatest drivers in racing history and the only reason we don't talk about him more was because of his terrible years trying to drive a car with his own name on it.

Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Yeah, Emmo was great. Look at how long his career went on, and how competitive he was still right up to his final year or so (I seem to recall '96 wasn't going so well before Michigan).

A truly superb driver. Anyone who peddled the deathtraps of the very early 1970s so brilliantly deserves a massive slice of respect IMO.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Matt wrote: 3 months ago Yeah, Emmo was great. Look at how long his career went on, and how competitive he was still right up to his final year or so (I seem to recall '96 wasn't going so well before Michigan).

A truly superb driver. Anyone who peddled the deathtraps of the very early 1970s so brilliantly deserves a massive slice of respect IMO.
Indeed, his record of youngest F1 champion stood for 33 whole years. He's 46 years old in the season I'm watching but driving with the hunger of someone 20 years younger.

I've since seen Cleveland and Toronto. The first saw an epic battle between Emmo and Nige - the two battling side by side, passing and repassing for several laps. Emmo got the upper hand.

Mansell went out in Canada with mechanical issues, it seems his early season momentum has gone away from him and Emmo now leads the championship. Meanwhile Paul Tracy has won two in a row.

Looking forward to the next race at Michigan!

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michigan was not an interesting race. Mansell was almost 2 laps up on the entire field at one point. He got out of the car looking like he'd run a marathon in the Saha, while Mario (a good 15 years older) looked like he could drive another 500 miles. Nige must have been really unfit...

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Fit enough, evidently.

But yes, Michigan 1993 was one of the more lacklustre events of that era. I've never seen a replay of Johansson's crash, but IIRC he said it was one of the biggest crashes of his career.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

New England 200 at New Hampshire - WHAT A RACE!!!!! It was a really slow burner, but the last 20-25 laps were utterly amazing. The battle between Mansell and Tracy was just epic. I haven't been this excited watching a race for a while.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 months ago New England 200 at New Hampshire - WHAT A RACE!!!!! It was a really slow burner, but the last 20-25 laps were utterly amazing. The battle between Mansell and Tracy was just epic. I haven't been this excited watching a race for a while.
On the strength of that I just watched the last 20 laps. Brilliant. How good was Mansell in traffic. Brave stuff. And it was on Nigel's 40th Birthday as well I think :thumbsup:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always