Letter from Mario Andretti to his younger self

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
SBan83

Letter from Mario Andretti to his younger self

Post by SBan83 »

This an amazing letter from Mario to his younger self. It is long but well worth reading every word.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/artic ... kK-fUYZgNM
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

SBan83 wrote: 4 months ago This an amazing letter from Mario to his younger self. It is long but well worth reading every word.

Love things like that. I started reeading it but have to go out but will get back to it when I get home. Thanks for the share. :thumbsup:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago
SBan83 wrote: 4 months ago This an amazing letter from Mario to his younger self. It is long but well worth reading every word.

Love things like that. I started reeading it but have to go out but will get back to it when I get home. Thanks for the share. :thumbsup:
My pleasure! I've always found Andretti's story very fascinating. Everything he says here I already knew and then some, thanks to Gordon Kirby's excellent book on him (a must-buy not just for the written content but also the treasure trove of high-quality photos), but the way he narrates this letter and the added emotions really add something else.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

SBan83 wrote: 4 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago

My pleasure! I've always found Andretti's story very fascinating. Everything he says here I already knew and then some, thanks to Gordon Kirby's excellent book on him (a must-buy not just for the written content but also the treasure trove of high-quality photos), but the way he narrates this letter and the added emotions really add something else.
Now read in full. Brilliant and love the way it is written..... even though I knew 'his story', its a great way to read it as you say with the emotions conveyed is a plus and makes the story more personal and meaningful..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Good thing Mario didn't aspire to a career in writing... :omg: :wink:

Sorry, but I'm not really taken with this. It's an odd literary concept, very cliché, and not really well performed - "Hey, old man, this young gun doesn't need your advice, he's on his way!" That concept could work to comment on a miserable life, on mistakes made and apologies owed, but even then it would still feel much like a boring novel printed on poor paper. It probably wasn't his own choice, but suggested by the magazine people, and a poor idea in the first place. "Hey, Mario, how about telling your life story for us and our readers, but not the way we all know it. We've got an idea..."

Anyway, it's an old article, and contains a lot on his early days of what I call the "Andretti legend" - half-truths and plain BS. A few years ago, when Aldo Andretti died, I tried getting to the bottom of some of those claims. I'm not sure I succeeded, but I found out some interesting stuff nonetheless:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2169 ... ?p=9343391
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

That was an amazing and very personal read. Imagine driving a beat up old Hudson on dirt tracks and actually getting paid when you win. The opportunities back then were so much more than what racers have now.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records