2023 Goodwood Revival This weekend Sept 8/9/10th 2023

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2023 Goodwood Revival This weekend Sept 8/9/10th 2023

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Celebrating Lotus’ Chapman years at the Goodwood Revival

One of our major celebrations this year at the Goodwood Revival will be that of Lotus, founded by Colin Chapman in 1952. And for this year, in a slight departure from normal Revival protocol, we’re extending our time period beyond the closing of the Motor Circuit in 1966, as we celebrate ‘The Chapman Years’, which sadly ended in 1982. This weekend will be a commemoration of his life in motorsport, as we revel in the glory of some of his most famous road cars, and successful Formula 1 cars.

Full Description background story of the event with pics. https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cove ... d-revival/

TIMETABLE OF WEEKEND EVENTS

ENTRY LIST

These are the 15 races that will fill the timetable of the 2023 Goodwood Revival.

Freddie March Memorial Trophy
Cars of the type that raced at the 1953 Goodwood Nine Hours

Kicking off the weekend with a spectacular battle into the night that recalls the glorious days of the Goodwood Nine Hours. As 2023 is the 70th anniversary of the 1953 event the Freddie March Memorial Trophy will run as our two-driver sunset race to kick off the competitive action for the weekend. Expect to see Aston Martin DB3S, Jaguar XK120, Frazer Nash, Austin Healey, Jaguar C-Type and more racing with some celebrity drivers thrown in.

Goodwood Trophy
For Grand Prix and Voiturette cars of the 1930s and 1940s

The Goodwood Trophy was part of the first Revival and remains a part of the event today. It is our celebration of the cars that first raced at the Goodwood circuit. In 1948, when Goodwood first opened for motor racing, the only cars really available to drive were from before the war. The assembled line-up of pre-war Grand Prix and voiturette racers is recreated at Revival every year, and features cars from ERA, Maserati, Alta and more.

Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy
For 1960s Grand Prix motorcycles

The Revival’s traditional battle for two-wheeled machines is split into two parts, one on each race. Each year the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy – named after the man who won the predecessor Lennox Cup before he died in 2003 – switches between 1950s and 1960s machines, and this year it is the turn of the later bikes. Expect VIP riders from the world of British Superbikes, MotoGP and the Isle of Man TT to race in this pair of two-rider tussles.

Fordwater Trophy
One-make race for early Porsche 911s

As part of our celebrations of the 60th anniversary of the legendary Porsche 911 the Revival will see a race for 30 of the rear-engined machines. It should be a spectacular battle, as anyone who watched the John Aldington Trophy at the 73rd Members’ Meeting presented by Audrain Motorsport can attest. Early 911s were pendulous and race on skinny tyres, meaning that they will be sideways at every available opportunity. Adding to the narrative, each car in this race will run wholly on sustainably sourced fuels.

St. Mary’s Trophy
Saloon cars of the 1950s

One of our favourite moments of every Revival, the St. Mary’s Trophy is our touring car battle, regularly featuring little vs large fights that have captivated our audience for years. Like the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy, the St. Mary’s Trophy switches decades each year, meaning that in 2023 it will be for saloon cars of the 1950s. A single-driver race the first part on Saturday will be contested by VIP drivers (drawn from the likes of F1, Le Mans, NASCAR and more), before the car owners take over to complete the race on Sunday. Expect to see Austin A40s, Jaguar MkIIs and Alfa Romeo Giuliettas in action.

Rudge Whitworth Cup
For 1920s sportscars of a type that competed at the first Le Mans 24 Hours

A new name for the Revival in 2023, the Rudge Whitworth Cup will pay homage to the Le Mans 24 Hours, which celebrates its centenary this year. This will be a two-driver, 30-minute race for the sportscars that raced at Le Mans in its very first years. The Rudge Whitworth Cup grid will be full of Bentleys, Bugattis and the like that started it all off for what has become the world’s greatest race.

Glover Trophy
For 1.5-litre grand prix cars from 1961 to 1965

In the Goodwood Motor Circuit’s racing era, the highlights of most seasons were the various non-championship grand prix races, often held for the Glover Trophy, where legends including Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark and Graham Hill raced in contemporary machines. Today the Glover Trophy celebrates these legendary racers with the kinds of cars they raced at the time: Lotus 25, BRM P261, Ferrari 1512.

Lavant Cup
A race for Ferrari GTs of 1960-66

It’s 60 years since Graham Hill won the RAC TT at Goodwood at the wheel of a Ferrari 250 GTO. So we’re welcoming an entire grid of 1960s Ferrari GTs to the 2023 Revival. Expect eye-wateringly beautiful GTOs to go up against the like of 250 SWBs and 250 LMs in what may very well be the last time some of these cars race competitively.

Chichester Cup
For rear-engined, disc-braked Formula Junior cars from 1960-1963

Often overlooked, these tiny racing machines played a much more important part in motorsport history than is normally accepted, and also put on a better show than most expect. With a field of cars from Lotus, Cooper and co. and drivers who race each other every weekend, the Chichester Cup is always a brilliant battle. The cars were also the platform upon which the racing stars of the 1960s and 1970s built their careers.

Richmond & Gordon Trophies
For 2.5-litre Grand Prix cars from 1952-1960

The 1950s was an era of great change for motorsport. After F1 launched in 1950 it was dominated by front-engined Grand Prix machines, with cars including the Lancia D50, Ferrari 500 F1, and Maserati 250F at the forefront. Toward the end of the decade the trend began to change, with Cooper reversing the formula and eventually leading a revolution in F1 design. The Richmond & Gordon Trophies race features both front- and rear-engined F1 cars battling as they did back in the middle of the 20th Century.

RAC TT Celebration
Closed-Cockpit GT and prototype cars from 1960 to 1964

Perhaps the centrepiece of historic motorsport, the Goodwood Revival’s RAC TT Celebration is a festival of sportscar racing from a time when the flagship RAC TT was held at Goodwood. Lightweight Jaguar E-types, Cobras, Corvette Sting Rays, Porsche 904s, and more will do battle for an hour with owners sharing driving duties with a host of VIP stars.

Whitsun Trophy
For sports-prototypes from 1960-1966

The fastest race of the Revival weekend, these are fast, loud and spectacular prototypes that moved the dial on through the 1960s, transforming sportscar racing from pretty little racers into the muscular machines we know today. Ford brought the GT40, Lola the T70, McLaren the M1A and M1B. Together they look and sound incredible as they dice on the sweeping confines of the Goodwood Motor Circuit.

Sussex Trophy
For World Championship sportscars from 1955-1960

Closing the weekend’s track action with another showcase of just how beautiful racing cars can be. Including Ferrari 246S Dinos, Lister Knobblys, Lotus 15s, over the years the Sussex Trophy’s drivers have put on some incredible shows for the Revival crowds. Regularly a multi-way battle for the lead that goes right down to the wire, it is the perfect way to end the 2023

Best news of all is a FREE LIVE STREAM all weekend

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Whoops, Karun had a bit of an incident driving a hugely valuable 250 GTO Ferrari

The footage, the story, the hear-say he-said-she-said, have spread, ahem, like wildfire. Given it happened on our turf, we agreed with the driver and the owner, it was best for Goodwood to clear things up. To tell the story – the real story.

So here it is, with comments from the man himself, as well as a few words from a representative of the owner. What exactly happened to Karun Chandhok’s Ferrari 250 GTO?

The race of course was the Lavant Cup presented by Sky Cinema, dedicated to Ferrari GTs from 1960-1966; a 16-car celebration of the 60th anniversary of Graham Hill’s famous 1963 Goodwood TT win at the wheel of – appropriately – a 250 GTO.

In terms of raw value, it’s by far the most expensive grid of cars we’ve featured this weekend. Not a single one would cross an auction block for any less than £2million. Many would easily clear £30million. So while it wasn’t the quickest race of the weekend – or even of Saturday – all eyes were on track for the spectacle of the sights and sounds of 16 Colombo V12s singing in concert.

The battle for the lead was immediately hard-fought, between Rob Hall in a 1964 250 LM and Emanuele Pirro in a 1961 250 SWB/C. Just behind, lunging up from sixth on the grid, Karun Chandhok in the silver 250 GTO, while the famous Breadvan began its climb up the order that would continue throughout the race.

Hall had his own drama, spinning the LM and bumping the wall, giving Pirro the lead temporarily. Ordinarily, that would have been the story of the race but of course, it wasn’t.

“I was pinching myself. The 250 GTO is one of my absolute dream cars”
In the closing half of his tenth lap, emerging from Lavant onto the straight, Karun Chandhok opened up the throttle of his Ferrari 250 GTO. You know the rest.

“The 250 GTO is one of my absolute dream cars”, Chandhok told us on a call the following morning.

“I was pinching myself. The owner was lovely and so happy for me to go out and enjoy it. The race was fun but I wasn’t really going to be catching the front runners.

“So part-way around, I was just thinking to myself, ‘how cool is this? I’m in a GTO at Goodwood!’. Then coming out of Lavant onto the straight – I was in second and cruising – I heard a bang and the back wheels locked up. As I turned I saw flames, so I got right off the track safely, to minimise oil going down and get out of the way.”

It was a frightening experience for Karun – his dream car that also happens to be an example of the most valuable Ferrari model on Earth. But he was nothing but complimentary of Goodwood’s team and grateful for the owner’s concern.

“Obviously I was shaken but the Marshals, the owner, were all great,” he continued. “The owner’s absolute first priority was that I was okay. He was extremely understanding.

“The owners deserve so much credit. They send these cars that were designed 60 years ago out racing, that are worth so much, understanding that things can go wrong and that these things happen. He told me, he wants to get the car fixed and get it back on track at Goodwood soon.”

It’s nothing unusual. No one bats an eyelid when a Formula One engine blows up. The onboard fire extinguisher did its job. Karun is fine, which was our first concern.
. https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cove ... i-250-gto/

Karun looks absolutely mortified at what he had been a part of....

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Sorry, but what an idiotic article. "You know the rest", no I fucking don't else I wouldn't be reading this! Is it true you are automatically disqualified from becoming a journalist these days if you have a three-digit IQ? :evil:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

What a horrible experience for Karun. As for the car at least it is intact and serviceable. I'm sure if the owner could afford to buy it he can afford to fix it.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Some decent videos from the Revival are starting to surface.

V-16 BRM v Straight 6 ERA tickle you audio bits?
Evoking images of the earliest days of the Goodwood motor Circuit, the Goodwood Trophy is a race for pre- and post-war Grand Prix cars. These were the cars that were used right at the beginning of Goodwood's life. Filled with Alfa Romeos, Maseratis, ERAs and BRMs it both looks and sounds amazing.

Taking on the Thunderbird | 2023 St Mary's Trophy Pt2 full race | Goodwood Revival

This race was quite special and had me on the edge of my seat watching it live last weekend. The final ST Mary's Trophy Race. Jags Thunderbirds, little and large cars all driven on and beyond their limits

Oh and this one is good for a few gasps and more across the board hilights than a full race.

11 wildest moments at Goodwood Revival 2023

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

The St. Mary's trophy was a hoot. Great race. Thunderbirds are GO!
Plus it helps that my Grandma had a '59 Thunderbird. Not quite as racy as that example. But it was black with full chrome accents, a red and white leather interior, and full power everything. I thought it was funny that the old car (in the 70's) had power seats and windows, but none of my parents or uncles cars had those options until I was much older.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: