Rate the 2023 Belgian GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2023 Belgian GP

No votes
No votes
14%
18%
14%
23%
5%
14%
9%
5%

Total votes: 22

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 9 months ago
SBan83 wrote: 9 months ago DRS needs to go away - if it were such a brilliant solution, many other series would've adopted it. But none have, as far as I know. DTM tried it for a while, I think, but they've done away with it too. It's obvious to everyone that it's a flawed tool, totally dependent on how it's calibrated - and most times, it's calibrated farcically.

If F1 insists on having a Mario Kart element to negate the effort and patience of setting up a proper overtake, then at least have push-to-pass like IndyCar. At least it has strategic element, though no less farcical in my book.
F1 already has a push-to-pass system (the Overtake button).
But isn't it dependent on the ERS? I figured that'd make it not as consistent as IndyCar's version.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Yes, but IIRC that is only due to the "party modes" being outlawed. The engines are fundamentally the same, so there shouldn't be too much modifications required to given them a mode where they make more power for x amount of seconds. I suppose it's mostly a software issue.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

SBan83 wrote: 9 months ago
SBan83 wrote: 9 months ago DRS needs to go away - if it were such a brilliant solution, many other series would've adopted it. But none have, as far as I know. DTM tried it for a while, I think, but they've done away with it too. It's obvious to everyone that it's a flawed tool, totally dependent on how it's calibrated - and most times, it's calibrated farcically.

If F1 insists on having a Mario Kart element to negate the effort and patience of setting up a proper overtake, then at least have push-to-pass like IndyCar. At least it has strategic element, though no less farcical in my book.
But isn't it dependent on the ERS? I figured that'd make it not as consistent as IndyCar's version.
Yes, I think it just increases the ERS deploy rate. But the main point is that it's there, both drivers can use it to overtake OR defend and it can only be used for a limited time. Imagine a DRS system like that.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

SBan83 wrote: 9 months ago

Yes, I think it just increases the ERS deploy rate. But the main point is that it's there, both drivers can use it to overtake OR defend and it can only be used for a limited time. Imagine a DRS system like that.
Yeah, having only that would be a lot better than DRS (although again, I'd prefer none of these Fast and Furious style style nitro boosts at all).
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Imagine F1 without all those gizmos. Just get rid of the stupid pit stops, give them hard enough tyres to last the race and we'll have plenty overtaking again, instead of merely changing positions.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

6. A bit better than I expected thanks to Max starting in the pack. Some decent dicing in the field made it interesting, but not great.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michael Ferner wrote: 9 months ago Imagine F1 without all those gizmos. Just get rid of the stupid pit stops, give them hard enough tyres to last the race and we'll have plenty overtaking again, instead of merely changing positions.
That would make it even worse. The 90s were magic because of tyre changes and refuelling mixing up the strategy.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Not for me. 'Magic' was F1 before all that nonsense about strategy came up. In the nineties, I was merely hanging on, hoping it would get better. It didn't, and I stopped altogether in the early noughts. Still don't know why I started watching again, but anyway it's different today. I'm not a 'fan', merely a semi interested follower. I don't 'care' any longer about F1.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Ferner wrote: 9 months ago Not for me. 'Magic' was F1 before all that nonsense about strategy came up. In the nineties, I was merely hanging on, hoping it would get better. It didn't, and I stopped altogether in the early noughts. Still don't know why I started watching again, but anyway it's different today. I'm not a 'fan', merely a semi interested follower. I don't 'care' any longer about F1.
Actually its logical that strategy started to get more and more important in he 90s. Computers started to get better and faster. Teams started to calculate strategies.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."