McLaren parts with James Key

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago
XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Disarray and McLaren have pretty much walked hand in hand since Lewis Hamilton left if not earlier than that.
Spygate was the year Lewis (and Alonso) arrived. Not their finest episode of history.

Not sure their demise was driver related. Their big step downwards was probably when Mercedes chose to give them standard customer engines rather than the same works engines as the works Mercs end 2013. 2013 the slide started, beaten by Williams in the Merc customer engine users. That I believe made Mercedes look for a new engine partner, choosing Honda, and dropping to the depths of the WCC, improving when they took on the slightly better Renault PU's, working their way to 3rd before returning to Merc and sliding down the WCC again..... their final year with Renault being their best WCC finish since 2012 .

Mind you, having said that, Red Bull didnt do too bad with the Honda engines

Throw into the mix the dramatic times of Ron's departure in 2016/17....
I'm not saying Lewis' departure is definitely where it all went wrong, I did say it could have started earlier, much earlier and possibly even moreso than spygate.
And im not saying it was nothing to do with Lewis leaving, just trying to highlight some of the other many things that have all combined to contribute to their fall from grace. I guesss im suggesting it wasnt just one thing.
I was trying to do the same but choice of words has never been my strong point.
And I'm not saying I disagree either! GOOD DAY SIRS!

:haha:
Just debating. Nothing serious.
More like violent agreement?
(Sorry, this exchange came off a bit funny to me today. You are both saying very similar things in different ways)
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Spygate was the year Lewis (and Alonso) arrived. Not their finest episode of history.

Not sure their demise was driver related. Their big step downwards was probably when Mercedes chose to give them standard customer engines rather than the same works engines as the works Mercs end 2013. 2013 the slide started, beaten by Williams in the Merc customer engine users. That I believe made Mercedes look for a new engine partner, choosing Honda, and dropping to the depths of the WCC, improving when they took on the slightly better Renault PU's, working their way to 3rd before returning to Merc and sliding down the WCC again..... their final year with Renault being their best WCC finish since 2012 .

Mind you, having said that, Red Bull didnt do too bad with the Honda engines

Throw into the mix the dramatic times of Ron's departure in 2016/17....
I'm not saying Lewis' departure is definitely where it all went wrong, I did say it could have started earlier, much earlier and possibly even moreso than spygate.
And im not saying it was nothing to do with Lewis leaving, just trying to highlight some of the other many things that have all combined to contribute to their fall from grace. I guesss im suggesting it wasnt just one thing.

(Sorry, this exchange came off a bit funny to me today. You are both saying very similar things in different ways)
Well the violent part (if any) was unintentional. I'm having a hard time interpreting the situation myself but that comes naturally to someone on the Autism Spectrum like me.

Let's just say things have gone very wrong for McLaren and have been that way for some years now. I shall say no more than that.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Well the violent part (if any) was unintentional. I'm having a hard time interpreting the situation myself but that comes naturally to someone on the Autism Spectrum like me.

Let's just say things have gone very wrong for McLaren and have been that way for some years now. I shall say no more than that.
Just for the record, this was my attempt at adding humor. Not complaints. It's all good! You can add more if you like, at any time! :)
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Just for the record, this was my attempt at adding humor. Not complaints. It's all good! You can add more if you like, at any time! :)
Oh right, misinterpreted (again) for the reasons mentioned in my previous comment, I guess this thread proves the problem wasn't Ricciardo.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I bailed on it yesterday...same excuse / reason as @XcraigX I went off to discuss the merits of DNF over attrition. :suspicious: :haha: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always