New GPL Addons Site

Discussion and releases for the 1998 racing simulation by Sierra/Papyrus
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

@PTRACER did you take the page offline? I'm getting only an empty directory when I follow the link in post #1
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago @PTRACER did you take the page offline? I'm getting only an empty directory when I follow the link in post #1
No, having some issues with the subdomain redirect. I am doing some updates at the moment to the Addons page, so please wait for 30 mins or so.

You can access from here for now: https://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/gpl/site/
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

The site in general seems a bit dodgy today. Just had a max_user_connection error. First of that time but not the first error today.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago The site in general seems a bit dodgy today. Just had a max_user_connection error. First of that time but not the first error today.
Hmm, the error means there are too many attempts to connect to the SQL database. People sometimes report errors like this, but never seems to happen when I am browsing the forum. I'll open a ticket with the host and see if they can tell me what was going on, though I was bombarding the server with a lot of files last night so it could be that.

Anyway the http://gpladdons.the-fastlane.co.uk subdomain seems to be working again so I have moved the addons site there again. I've also uploaded all tracks from A to G and I have also finished downloading the entire track database from SRMZ plus addons. Total size is 4.84GB, meaning I'll have about 5GB of server space left once everything is uploaded. If it looks like we are about to run out of space I will upgrade The Fastlane to the 75GB webspace package.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Lots of files I have are self extracting archives and proper exe files. The database doesn't allow the upload exe files, that is going to be a problem if we don't want to zip all the mod installers.

Added Misc. Addons as a category, mainly for layout files, drivers pictures, backgrounds, that kind of stuff. We may want to consider renaming that if necessary.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago Lots of files I have are self extracting archives and proper exe files. The database doesn't allow the upload exe files, that is going to be a problem if we don't want to zip all the mod installers.

Added Misc. Addons as a category, mainly for layout files, drivers pictures, backgrounds, that kind of stuff. We may want to consider renaming that if necessary.
I was a little reluctant to allow EXE files due to server security, but consider it done :bye:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago Lots of files I have are self extracting archives and proper exe files. The database doesn't allow the upload exe files, that is going to be a problem if we don't want to zip all the mod installers.

Hey, thanks for adding a few things to the site. FYI I renamed aintreer from 1954 Aintree to Aintree 1954 so it comes under the letter A (sorry the DB is rather simple!). I will add the new categories to the main page later this week. Have almost finished uploading all tracks from A-M now.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I've run into problems when trying to upload large (~300Mb) files. I keep timing out the connection, when I try to upload mod installers. Is there a workaround, maybe via ftp? I dont imagine this to be a major problem since most files are small enough anyway, but the mod installers are some of the more important files to have online imo.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago I've run into problems when trying to upload large (~300Mb) files. I keep timing out the connection, when I try to upload mod installers. Is there a workaround, maybe via ftp? I dont imagine this to be a major problem since most files are small enough anyway, but the mod installers are some of the more important files to have online imo.
Yes there is a limitation with the current file uploader - it times out if the size is above 75MB or so. To get around it I upload a 1MB "dummy" file with the same filename and then immediately overwrite it via FTP. If you want I will set up an account for you to do the same.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
Michkov wrote: 1 year ago I've run into problems when trying to upload large (~300Mb) files. I keep timing out the connection, when I try to upload mod installers. Is there a workaround, maybe via ftp? I dont imagine this to be a major problem since most files are small enough anyway, but the mod installers are some of the more important files to have online imo.
Yes there is a limitation with the current file uploader - it times out if the size is above 75MB or so. To get around it I upload a 1MB "dummy" file with the same filename and then immediately overwrite it via FTP. If you want I will set up an account for you to do the same.
I edited the site's php.ini file which limited uploads to 64MB. It is now 1024MB. Give it a try!

And in other news, the entire Track Database is now uploaded :twothumbs: Missing a few night tracks and some program covers, but I guess others can add those in time. Next I will work a little more on improving the site design, it's still a little buggy.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I've added some of John Bradley's BAPOM cover sets today. Adding files as I find them. The connection still times out after about 5 minutes or so, for bigger files. Maybe I'll take you up on the ftp method you mentioned PT. I'll need a step by step instruction though, if its more complicated than the usual stuff I do on the RCDB.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago I've added some of John Bradley's BAPOM cover sets today. Adding files as I find them. The connection still times out after about 5 minutes or so, for bigger files. Maybe I'll take you up on the ftp method you mentioned PT. I'll need a step by step instruction though, if its more complicated than the usual stuff I do on the RCDB.
Thanks a lot for your contribution!

I have been in touch with the webhost about this, I would probably need to go from shared to dedicated hosting to get around the issue unfortunately ($32 a month at a minimum). The site now only has 5GB of free space so I'll need to upgrade at some point soon, but...

Anyway I have some places to go today, but I'll set up FTP access for you tonight and will write some basic instructions after (it's simpler than I made it sound :smiley: )

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Three changes:

1. Added letters to the GPLTD so you can click on them to show tracks which start with the letter _
2. Found a way to hide the Download and Comments label when these fields are empty
3. In the Addons section, all text now shifts to the left to fill in the space if no preview image has been uploaded

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

We might consider splitting the car addon category into mod specific sub categories. In the long run it's going to get crowded with all the single addons for this and that.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago We might consider splitting the car addon category into mod specific sub categories. In the long run it's going to get crowded with all the single addons for this and that.
So basically a separate category for 1955 mod, 1965 mod, 1966 mod etc.?

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Yes. So we would have a tree like this, not individual top level categories if that is possible.

Car Addons
> 1955 mod
> 1965 mod
> 1967 mod