2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Neil Crompton diagnosed with prostate cancer

Supercars’ voice of the championship Neil Crompton has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, the category has announced. Hopefully his diagnosis has come early in the day, knowing that the earlier such diagnosis are made allows for the best recovery.

Reports indicate the Hall of Fame member received the news last month and will undergo surgery in the coming weeks.

Seems to be a bit of it going around at the moment with John Bowe having already had surgury for the same issue. Fortunately in the case of Bowe it does not seem to be affecting his life much at this stage beyond the constant medical treatment. He has continued to race successfully since learning of his diagnosis some months ago.

Crompton is still expected to feature as part of the broadcast team for Round 5 of the 2021 Repco Supercars Championship at Winton Motor Raceway on May 29-30.

Wish both Neil and John all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

oh, that's awful. Hope he can recover fast, Supercars broadcasts won't be the same without him
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Winton has been postponed due to the Victorian 7-day lockdown. Unlike last year it seems that there won't be a border dash, with Supercars apparently asking the Victorian teams to wait it out as they'd have to go into quarantine if they left now and some teams apparently being understandably reluctant to leave.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago Winton has been postponed due to the Victorian 7-day lockdown. Unlike last year it seems that there won't be a border dash, with Supercars apparently asking the Victorian teams to wait it out as they'd have to go into quarantine if they left now and some teams apparently being understandably reluctant to leave.
New date set for Winton

Winton Motor Raceway is now set to host the Repco Supercars Championship on July 31-August 1 after the Townsville 500 and before the Sydney SuperNight.

The new date fills the void that had been left for the Tokyo Summer Olympics.

Re the border dash that, as mentioned above, has been put on hold, that is probably just as well as Queensland and South Australia have now both closed their borders to Victorians. NSW have a "stay at home " order in place as well, so basically it would have been a pointless exercise to attempt to leave Victoria. Hopefully things will quickly get under control and the lockdown wont be extended as it was last year.

Full details on the Victorian lockdown for those interested, in the COVID thread here: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 27#p404927

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Re the border dash that, as mentioned above, has been put on hold, that is probably just as well as Queensland and South Australia have now both closed their borders to Victorians. NSW have a "stay at home " order in place as well, so basically it would have been a pointless exercise to attempt to leave Victoria. Hopefully things will quickly get under control and the lockdown wont be extended as it was last year.

Full details on the Victorian lockdown for those interested, in the COVID thread here: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/vi ... 27#p404927
Re the border dash Supercars have now requested the Melbourne teams to relocate to NSW prior to June 2nd, do their quarantine in NSW and then be free to travel into the Northern Territory without restriction for the races which are 2 weeks after that. The next meeting after that is in NSW, so with no restritions on people bubbled in NSW the teams could openly return from NT to NSW, as the Victorians will have done their quarantine already..

The best case would be for things to get better in Vic. and the restrictions get eased and allow normal travel again. The one good thing about it all is people are now queing up to get vaccinated whereas prior to that people were avoiding it. The Vic government have eased restrictions on who can get it and now those over 40 can get it.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DJR lock in Scotty Mac alternative for Bathurst.....

We are aware that Scotty Mac is down to drive one of the DJR Mustangs at Bathurst this year. We also know that he will need to, under current laws, undertake a 14 day Covid Quarantine before being allowed out in public. It was felt when the arrangements were made that this requirement would have a number of exceptions by October, and it would not have been an issue.

However in light of the recent return of Covid to our shores this quarantine mandate is looking less like it will be lifted. Thus Scotty, will not have time in his schedule to undergo quarantine between the Indycar finaleg at Long Beach which takes place on September 27 , less than two weeks before the October 7-10 Bathurst race.

So older brother of current DJR driver Will Davison, Alex Davison has been called up as a potential cover for a maybe unavailable Scott at Bathurst. Tony D’Alberto (already contracted to co drive one of the cars) and McLaughlin have first shot at the co-drives, with Alex on standby for the latter.

As an aside Alex Davison in fact has three Bathurst 1000 starts to his name for DJR – 2006, 2007 and 2012 – all of which resulted in top 10 finishes.

Personally I would say the likleyhood of Scott being able to race are now slim given our current Covid Lockdown status.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Erebus confirms Murphy/Stanaway Bathurst 1000 wildcard

Just when we were getting over the Ingall / Feeney Wildcard for Bathurst Erebus announce another couple brought out of retirement for a crack at the 1000. 4 time winner Murphy last raced at Bathurst 7 years ago, and Stanaway who ran away from motor racing after an injury interrupted year in Supercars was less than impressive. He got that gig after some success with Tickford as an enduro co-driver about 5 years ago.

I guess it boosts the numbers for the great race which is a bonus, but thats about it in my score.(Pun not intended re Boost.... yes Peter Adderton / Boost Mobile are backing the entry, so that must be half the field they have their stickers on now. Not bad for a bloke who was sick to death of Supercars, wanting nothing to do with them, when he quit mid sponsorship contract with GRM in a move that saw GRM close up their SC operation :wink: )

All we need now is for Ambrose (who has recently been visible in V8 circles) to get announced as a comeback and we can have a replay of the big fight on the mountain when Murphy and Ambrose famously had an altercation. :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The V8SC circus is at Hidden Valley in Darwin this weekend coming.

DJR have announced a one off "Indigenous " livery for the occasion

The livery is a nod to the Racing Together (Ryan Storey DJR Team Principal and shareholder is a Director of the Racing Together) programme which gives 12- to 18-year-old Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders an opportunity to pursue a career in motorsport, and follows Supercars’ designation of the Darwin event as its Indigenous round. Shell Australia are also partners in the programme.

The livery was designed by Braedyn Cidoni, a team member who happens to be indigenous.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Mostert signs a contract extension with WAU (apparently until the end of 2023). This takes him out of the running to replace Whincup which had been a bit of a rumour:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/15/mo ... extension/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago Mostert signs a contract extension with WAU (apparently until the end of 2023). This takes him out of the running to replace Whincup which had been a bit of a rumour:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/06/15/mo ... extension/
That is a bit of a surprise, unless he knows something re the T8 Whincup seat we dont. But the reality is that other than T8 WAU is as good a place as any to be. They are the team on the improve. Plus it is obviously in an environment he enjoys, it gives him a line of access to other categories down the ttrack, and with the 'Dane' era all but over for T8, who knows whether Whincup is his Team Principal role will enjoy the same success Roland has. I know Roland is still going to be in the shadows, but maybe WAU is a case of 'better the poison you know.'

Anyway it opens up the V8SC driver market for 2022, and 50% of the grid is out of contract end of this year.
Current status of the market beyond this year (info from Speedcafe)
Mostert becomes the 13th Supercars driver to secure his future beyond this season.

That does of course mean there is roughly half the 2022 grid still to be sorted in the coming six or so months…
Interestingly Kostecki (Brodie) I had always considered a hot tip for the T8 seat, has been confirmed as locked in to Erebus for 2022.

Cam Waters must be up there with a chance there. Apparently he is out of contract come season end. Interestingly, the only driver Tickford have locked in for next year is Thomas Randle, who only has a co driver gig this year.... Tickford will be very keen to retain Waters.

I have highlighted those names not contracted. The two biggest names up for grabs are Waters and Heimgartner. Courtney, Pye ,Hazlewood Fullwood, Le Brocq in the background. Plus a few 'gridfillers'.

Team by Team

Triple Eight Race Engineering

Under contract: Shane van Gisbergen (through 2023)
Retiring: Jamie Whincup

The #88 seat is the obvious key to the driver market, with Triple Eight weighing up various options to succeed seven-time champion Whincup. The team’s Super2 protégé Broc Feeney is among the chief contenders.

Dick Johnson Racing

Under contract: Anton De Pasquale, Will Davison (contract length uncertain)

Having run Scott McLaughlin and Fabian Coulthard as team-mates in four consecutive seasons, there was a double change at DJR for 2021, with both De Pasquale and Davison believed to have joined on multi-year agreements.

Tickford Racing

Under contract: Thomas Randle (through 2022)
Free agents: Cameron Waters, James Courtney, Jack Le Brocq

Ironically, the team’s only contracted driver for next year is the young gun without a current drive. Waters’ signature is considered top priority, having evolved into the team’s clear ace. Tickford may yet expand to four cars for 2022.

Walkinshaw Andretti United

Under contract: Chaz Mostert (through at least 2023)
Free agent: Bryce Fullwood

With Mostert extended as of this morning, focus switches to whether Fullwood will continue in the #2 or whether there’ll be a new face here next year.

Team 18

Under contract: Mark Winterbottom (through 2022)

Free agent: Scott Pye

Winterbottom was confirmed last October to be driving past his 41st birthday, which falls next May. Pye meanwhile has matched up relatively well against ‘Frosty’ and has already signalled his hopes of a contract extension.

Kelly Grove Racing

Under contract: David Reynolds (through at least 2022)
Free agent: Andre Heimgartner

KGR is wary of rival interest in Heimgartner, who last month became a Supercars Championship race winner. The Kiwi is known to have a strong degree of loyalty to the Braeside outfit, but could the prospect of a top drive lure him away?

Erebus Motorsport

Under contract: Brodie Kostecki, Will Brown (contract length uncertain)
Erebus CEO Barry Ryan has declared both drivers have arrangements in place for next season.

Brad Jones Racing

Under contract: Nick Percat (through 2022)
Free agents: Todd Hazelwood, Macauley Jones
Uncertain: Jack Smith

Percat was extended early last year, having established himself as the team spearhead. Hazelwood has briefly spoken about his future hopes; Jones is working on moving his way up the pecking order; and Smith’s father Pete owns a Racing Entitlements Contract.

Matt Stone Racing

Free agents: Zane Goddard, Jake Kostecki

MSR enjoys a good relationship with its two SuperLite programme graduates but has yet to lock them in. Like Tickford, they may have an additional seat next year, pending how the tender situation around shelved RECs plays out.

Team Sydney

Under contract: Fabian Coulthard, Garry Jacobson (both through 2022)
Jonathon Webb put a premium on stability by signing his 2021 recruits to two-year deals.

Blanchard Racing Team

Under contract: Tim Slade (through 2022)
Tim Blanchard has confirmed that Slade will remain in CoolDrive colours next year.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I suspect Feeney might get the job esp. if he's viewed as the "next Lowndes". I don't think Mostert would be fine as "1b" driver to SVG tbh.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago I suspect Feeney might get the job esp. if he's viewed as the "next Lowndes". I don't think Mostert would be fine as "1b" driver to SVG tbh.
Indeed a good point.... where he is at WAU he is clearly #1A.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A rather lame me-too indigenous livery has been shown by T888 for this weekend's Darwin round...... nothing like as impressive or well thought out as the DJR one mentioned a couple of posts back.

It smacks of an OMG moment from T888 that they have missed the boat on the fact that the Darwin round is the official "indigenous' round of this years championship and have reacted to DJR's livery with a quick what we can do at short notice job.

It is roof and rear wing only, and is just on the #97 SVG car. Better than nothing though, I suppose.

Edit: Apologies to T8..... I wrongly said it was only an indigenous livery on the #97 car of SVG. In fact both T888 cars are sporting th new livery. Have to say though being a roof and rear wing only it is not very noticeable, particularly on TV. In contrast the DJR livery is much more noticeable.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The grid is going to increase to 25 cars next year, with Tickford obtaining a 4th REC. This will mean that Tom Randle moves full-time into the series. Matt Stone's team also put in a bid for a 26th REC but it seems that some other teams must have been unhappy with the extra cars so it was knocked back.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah I dont understand why they put the REC up for tender in the first place. I guess the bottom line must be teams not wanting to make to many slices of the income pie it gives them a share of. (TV money etc) The more cars / REC's in place = more slices of a fixed size pie. So smaller slices. A bit like F1 when it had over 10 teams competing. Only ten got a slice of the pie.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Anyway back to this weekend at Darwin, the indigenous round of the championship.
Complete with its own unique track map logo.

Apparently the indigenous involvement will increase next year for this round and every team will be expected to embrace an element of Aboriginal culture for the event. Next year Supercars will encourage teams to work with Aboriginal artists from their respective regions to design artwork specifically for them.

So whats new for this weekend?

It was discovered that Holden engines by a particular builder was suffering from a lack of horsepower so improvements have been allowed to those affected cars. So, teams fitted with KRE-built engines are running an upgraded package. The change has come in a bid to balance the field on horsepower.

Five teams are affected by the change, including Brad Jones Racing, Matt Stone Racing, Team 18, Team Sydney and Triple Eight Race Engineering.,,, basically half of the Repco Supercars Championship grid.

The other thing new is for the first time we are seeing the new "Super Soft" being used exclusively, so something new for the teams to work with in terms of evaluating pace v degradation.

It seems that like F1 produces odd tyres to spice up the racing, Suprcars are now doing the same. Anyway it is something new for all drivers and teams and no doubt some will love it other not so much. Whincup, who has tested the Super Soft tyre previously along with Will Davison of DJR seems to think that degradation wont be an issue, certainly not at Darwin which is very smooth and low deg.

I like Heimgartner's attitude. When asked about them after practice today he just said you dont really notice the difference. Whatever tyre you have on, you go out, see what the grip level is and drive accordingly.

The one thing about the tyres this weekend is everyone is running them all weekend. It is the only tyres available, unlike in other previous events where at some events they had to, like F1, use both a harder and a softer compound with compulsory stops in the longer races.

Oh and the other new thing is we have a couple of wildcard entries this weekend.... Thomas Randle getting a hit out in a 4th Tickford car, and we have a third Kostecki (Kurt) running in a WAU Commodore. So we have 26 starters this weekend.

A weekend event guide with schedule and stuff: https://media.speedcafe.com/wp-content/ ... e-2021.pdf

As mentioned practice for the day has been and gone, with Nick Percat fastest in the first session.

In P2, Jamie Whincup went fastest with the only ‘five’ of the day. Scott Pye was second and De Pasquale was third in the half hour session. We had a bit of drama when the bonnet flew up on Bryce Fullwood’s #2 Mobil 1 Appliances Commodore, prompting the Darwin local to park up and we got a red as a result.

A few of the more fancied runners seem to be in strnge places on the timesheets, namely Cam Waters down in 22nd, albeit only 0.7856s off the top, and David Reynolds in 20th.

I actually missed most of practice, out having a life in our first day out of strict lockdown, and at this stage dont really know the stories behind the times..

For those following in Europe, just a reminder that Darwin runs off an odd time zone, the same as Adelaide and is half an hour different to Australian Eastern time....
Qualifying for Race 12 of the 2021 Supercars Championship, a knockout session culminating in a Top 10 Shootout, gets underway from 11:35 local time/12:05 AEST.

Anyway times from P2

Results: Practice 2

Pos Num Team/Sponsor Driver Car Fastest lap Split
1 88 Red Bull Ampol Racing Team Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore ZB 1:05.8799
2 20 DEWALT Racing Scott Pye Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.0096 0:00.1297
3 11 Shell V-Power Racing Team Anton De Pasquale Ford Mustang GT 1:06.0358 0:00.1559
4 8 R&J Batteries Nick Percat Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.0621 0:00.1822
5 17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Will Davison Ford Mustang GT 1:06.1235 0:00.2436
6 25 Mobil 1 Appliances Online Chaz Mostert Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.1325 0:00.2526
7 97 Red Bull Ampol Racing Team Shane van Gisbergen Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.1456 0:00.2657
8 18 IRWIN Racing Mark Winterbottom Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.1658 0:00.2859
9 44 Boost Mobile Racing James Courtney Ford Mustang GT 1:06.1973 0:00.3174
10 99 Erebus Boost Mobile Racing Brodie Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.2754 0:00.3955
11 35 Yellow Cover Racing Zane Goddard Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.3238 0:00.4439
12 19 Local Legends Fabian Coulthard Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.3401 0:00.4602
13 3 CoolDrive Racing Tim Slade Ford Mustang GT 1:06.3458 0:00.4659
14 14 Pizza Hut Todd Hazelwood Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.3705 0:00.4906
15 5 Truck Assist Racing Jack Le Brocq Ford Mustang GT 1:06.4313 0:00.5514
16 34 UNIT Racing Jake Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.4767 0:00.5968
17 9 Erebus Motorsport William Brown Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.4875 0:00.6076
18 2 Mobil 1 Middy’s Racing Bryce Fullwood Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.5149 0:00.6350
19 7 NED Whisky Racing Andre Heimgartner Ford Mustang GT 1:06.5250 0:00.6451
20 26 Penrite Racing David Reynolds Ford Mustang GT 1:06.5345 0:00.6546
21 96 Coca-Cola Racing Macauley Jones Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.6583 0:00.7784
22 6 Monster Energy Racing Cameron Waters Ford Mustang GT 1:06.6655 0:00.7856
23 55 Castrol Racing Thomas Randle Ford Mustang GT 1:06.6693 0:00.7894
24 22 Team SYDNEY Garry Jacobson Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.7857 0:00.9058
25 4 SCT Logistics Jack Smith Holden Commodore ZB 1:06.8668 0:00.9869
26 27 Walkinshaw Andretti United Kurt Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 1:07.0803 0:01.200