Minardi's former cargo jet rusting away in a field

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Minardi's former cargo jet rusting away in a field

Post by John »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter/50135061792

I honestly have no idea where to post this, so this subforum will do. That image honestly made me a bit sad and nostalgic.

https://www.airhistory.net/photos/0123512.jpg How it used to look in it's heyday.
Last edited by John 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

:(
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

John wrote: 3 years ago https://www.flickr.com/photos/superspotter/50135061792

I honestly have no idea where to post this, so this subforum will do. That image honestly made me a bit sad and nostalgic.

https://www.airhistory.net/photos/0123512.jpg How it used to look in it's heyday.
Looks like a BAC 1-11 aircraft.... so they are pretty long in the tooth. (Stoddard started his airline buying a couple from I think a BA subsidiary in 1989. He bought some more a couple of years later from the RAAF and Dan Air. In fact European were the last airline to operate 1-11's. The last ones he purchased were bought to make money selling for spares to Africa. I think cancelled orders for the planes forced him to refurb them and use them for EA in various configurations from executive jets (he had bought a load of s/h 1st class seats!) through to tourist charter planes. In 1998 I know he had 16 1-11s in service and they were all in the air working on the same day once, I remember reading. I think they ended up failing noise restrictions introduced and he developed silencers for them.

I know that when he sponsored Tyrrell in 1997 his sponsorship was involved in their transportation needs in Europe. He had intended to buy Tyrrell (he already had a couple of old Tyrrells in his personal F1 collection) when they became available but got gazumped by BAT and lost out. He moved his sponsorship to Jordan with the same sort of transporting deal. He also got involved with Arrows and their F3000 team (I think that is where the Mark Webber connection spawned)

The Minardi liveried plane was in fact more a VIP transporter, and I know Murray Walker used to be one of those that flew regularly in it because it was based near his home.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

If you frequent some of the urban explorer forums you'll know they've all at some point scouted out the old Caterham F1 factory, the first lot in there were very lucky as they found unused tubs, moulds and trophies. The golden rule of urb-x-ing is like wild camping, leave no trace, but as soon as it was known it would take security over an hour to get there once the alarms were triggered (if they could be bothered and didn't assume wildlife had set it off), the kids went in and trashed the place.

It's still there and accessible iirc. I did consider going up there once but got scared shitless but a big burly security guy and dog who was guarding the old local sand works that I gave up (and I was only walking past on the path at the time, hadn't even jumped the fence).

I've not clicked the photo link cos the tablet doesn't work them, but is this plane sitting in the same airfield where all of the BA 747's are going?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Found the full history of that particular plane, G-AVMT......a BAC 1-11 510-ED. It was originally a BEA plane, first flown in January 1969. Shows all its many liveries over the years.

http://www.bac1-11jet.co.uk/bac1-11jet. ... re%201.htm

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always