McLaren now in financial strife.**Update Sells 33% of Racing Team to US Investor**

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

McLaren now in financial strife.**Update Sells 33% of Racing Team to US Investor**

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago
Star wrote: 4 years ago Blimey, of all the teams that might disappear I wouldn't have expected Renault to be one of them. It does sound serious for the company in general and I know a lot of other car makers are in a mess due to the current situation.

McLaren are axing staff too as Antonov just said, they probably won't be the last ones either.
McLaren are in big financial do-do as well.... more the whole group than the F1 division itself. But the F1 team is part of the group. They are seeking their second major funding in the space of a few months and are having trouble providing the collateral for it.

More on that story here: viewtopic.php?p=380153#p380153
McLaren have until July 12th to raise £280,000,000 to survive!

They are now in court, seeking permission to basically use their already committed assets to secure further loans. It looks VERY bleak for McLaren if you read this court document in the link at the en.... In essence they want their creditors that they used for a similar loan a few months ago to let them use the same assets to secure another loan. What creditor is going to release their collateral for the company to go further in debt to be able to continue trading.
It seems McLaren are in the deepest doo-doo of all the teams and may not be around in its present form for long.
https://pdfhost.io/v/JNNyCbaII_Microsof ... 24docx.pdf

Edit: @PTRACER I thought after posting that maybe this should be in its own new thread....
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Oooohhhh....Noooooo...Mr Bill.

The sky IS falling......
(maybe more appropriately the curtain coming down on the present "shows"?)

It's not just the virus....it's been coming to ALL racing for some time now.

I started preaching it in the '90s........

Again, 'glad I caught the good stuff.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Just to quote a section of the court document I linked in my previous post.... this basically states the whole group is on the point of collapse.

Oh, and I said until 12 July above.... it should be 17th July to raise the 280 million by.
28.Above all, the pandemic has created a severe strain on the Group’s cash flow. Cash receipts have fallen dramatically, yet the costs of running the business continue to accumulate. A number of steps have been taken to strengthen the Group’s liquidity position, but it is now abundantly clear that the equity raised in early March 2020 will not be sufficient to enable the Group to weather the storm.

29.The Group’s cash flow requirements are kept under regular review by senior management. As explained by Mr Murnane (in Murnane-1 at [48] [5/39]), it is considered that: a.whilst the Group has sufficient liquidity to meet its obligations as and when they fall due in the very short term, further liquidity is required to be made available by no later than 17 July 2020; and b.additional liquidity of approximately £280 million would be sufficient for the Group to be able to support its operations into 2021.
And that it seems is just to get them through this year. I cant see the overall economy and with it the McLaren environment suddenly doing a hugeupturn in the nextfew months. What will they need to continue trading after this year and into next year?

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

In this situation, any independent team is in massive trouble if their backers don't pony up extra money. They simply aren't getting revenue.

Good luck to them.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Koyaanisqatsi...................Image

:sorrow:

jimclark
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

must be terrible for Ron Dennis seeing his (former) team slip into this.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

Yup. :down:

jimclark
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

What I find interesting is that for all the motorsport media attention that Williams has received of late over their financial woes, yet McLaren, who seemingly are in a greater mess, seem to be escaping Motorsport media scrutiny or coverage.

And then I remembered that Zak Brown, CEO of McLaren Racing, also happens to own Motorsport Network, which in turn owns/runs 90% of the Motorsport online news media outlets. :suspicious:

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Makes you wonder just what Zak was spending the money on to have the company go to the wall so quickly, I know it's a tough time but it's the same for everybody, they must have some serious untapped outgoings somewhere to create this level of collapse.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago Makes you wonder just what Zak was spending the money on to have the company go to the wall so quickly, I know it's a tough time but it's the same for everybody, they must have some serious untapped outgoings somewhere to create this level of collapse.
I think it is the car manufacturing division which has completely stalled, due to Covid-19.... no sales, no production, huge overheads, 3000 staff (in the car division) plus they already have huge loans. That is bringing the whole group down, at a time when the race team is suffering from no racing income, no sponsor commitments because of the lack of racing and reduced exposure on TV, so they are contributing zilch to the group overheads.
I think Zak is only involved in the race team, but they are certainly not performing that well, and also have loans in place and an overall cash flow /liquidity problem.
Basically everything the group is involved in has turned to shit in a reasonably short period of time.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It's the huge overheads I don't understand, don't they own their own manufacturing plant or do they rent the dam thing? A company the size of McLaren should own everything.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, if Covid teaches us anything, it'll be who was running their businesses properly and not leviging it to the hilt for finance, it's kind of the first rule of business that it has to be profitable, seems to me that McLaren has never made a penny and whoever is running it has forgotten that they have to make money to pay the bills rather than relying on some Saudi prince.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Is this the same Mclaren "We don't need a title sponsor to be in F1" Formula 1 team? I'm sure they'd be quite keen on the £30m a year they could have been getting over the last 5 years right now...
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

double post.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago It's the huge overheads I don't understand, don't they own their own manufacturing plant or do they rent the dam thing? A company the size of McLaren should own everything.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, if Covid teaches us anything, it'll be who was running their businesses properly and not leviging it to the hilt for finance, it's kind of the first rule of business that it has to be profitable, seems to me that McLaren has never made a penny and whoever is running it has forgotten that they have to make money to pay the bills rather than relying on some Saudi prince.
I think they mortgaged it / used it as security to obtain money to pay off /buy back Ron's shares when the split/settlement happened.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I complained yesterday of the lack of media coverage re McLaren.... all of a sudden it is written about in Autosport. It seems that McLaren has been successful in fastracking the court action through the courts.... the court action being their claim to be within their rights to in effect double dip their assets in their move to secure the loans it needs to survive the year. It highlights the proposals they are making to justify their application.

It all seems a little tenuous, if not a tad reeking of dodgy practices,. but I guess if their survival revolves around it then it is worth a try.....

I know many cannot access Autosport reports so here it is. It does go into the reasons for their actions.
McLaren takes legal action in battle for urgent refinancing of F1 team

The McLaren Group has successfully applied for legal action to be fast tracked in the UK courts in a battle for urgent refinancing it needs to prevent a cash shortfall.

The action concerns existing security held over the Woking facilities and the collection of heritage McLaren racing cars in relation to a previously issued bond.

In essence McLaren wants that security released so some of its key assets can be used to raise around £280m via "proposed transactions" that it already has in place.

Those proposed transactions include McLaren selling its properties and leasing them back from the new owners, and selling "certain" heritage cars to an outsider.

An alternative proposal for the heritage cars is to sell them to a newly-created subsidiary within the McLaren Group, which would then be able to obtain an asset-backed loan from a third party.

However, thus far, the existing security on the properties and cars has not been released, and McLaren has not been able to proceed with its plans.

In an attempt to have it released, McLaren Holdings filed a claim in the UK High Court on 8 June against UK Bank Trustees Ltd, which is described in court documents as a "Security Agent under the Group's existing financing arrangements (...) as trustee for various financial creditors of the Group".

McLaren's claim is that the security has to be released under certain circumstances, and that the company is "responsible for certifying whether the prescribed circumstances exist".

McLaren further explains that an "ad hoc group of creditors (including hedge funds and distressed debt investors) holding a beneficial interest in two series of notes issued by the Group (the "Ad Hoc Noteholders") have claimed that it would be unlawful for the Security Agent to release the Transaction Security.

"Indeed, they have recently threatened to sue the Security Agent for breach of duty if the release sought by the Company is granted.

"This threat has placed the Security Agent in an invidious position and has jeopardised the Company's urgent efforts to raise new money."

McLaren says that those noteholders have rejected the proposed transactions, and want to pursue their own, and "are seeking to create a situation in which the Group has no choice but to accept their alternative financing proposal (on terms dictated by them), regardless of the impact on the Group's other creditors and its stakeholders".

Timing is crucial, and McLaren is concerned about "a long and drawn-out trial which would take a significant amount of time to resolve", adding: "The tactics of the Ad Hoc Noteholders therefore appear to be designed to create a situation in which the Group runs out of time and is forced to abandon the Proposed Transactions."

McLaren's arguments in favour of a speedy resolution indicate just how urgent the need is for new financing.

It noted that "whilst the Group has sufficient liquidity to meet its obligations as and when they fall due in the very short term, further liquidity is required to be made available by no later than 17 July 2020", and that "additional liquidity of approximately £280 million would be sufficient for the Group to be able to support its operations into 2021".

It added: "This state of affairs is not the fault of the Group. Rather, it has been caused by the COVID-19 pandemic - which has wreaked havoc on the UK economy and threatened the livelihoods of millions of people and the viability of many businesses.

"The Proposed Transactions will enable the Group to access the additional liquidity that is required to ensure that the Group can continue as a going concern into 2021."

In a remote hearing held last Friday, Judge Anthony Mann noted that the timing was "ambitious" but agreed that a speedy resolution was essential, with a trial starting on 2 July.

The legal case follows on from the news that McLaren is considering selling a stake of its Formula 1 team.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15011 ... ing-battle