1967 Monaco - Bandini's fatal crash

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
coland
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Mazda 787B
Favourite Driver: Alberto Ascari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mazda 6

Post by coland »

Bottom post of the previous page:

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago
ReneLotus wrote: 4 years ago It could just be a bit of distortion, but is that right front looking like coming off the rim?
Looks it.
I think it is just an illusion created by the color and design of the rim. Look at these other pictures from Bandini himself and also Amon:

Image Image

If you zoom in the Amon one looks even more evident, so I suppose it is just the way the Ferrari's tyres worked.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

That image with Bandini's head to one side is odd. Is it doctored somehow?

I found this which shows him in a similar pose, but he is clearly correcting a slide:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... F&usqp=CAU

I wonder if he locked his rear brakes?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
coland
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by coland »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago That image with Bandini's head to one side is odd. Is it doctored somehow?

I found this which shows him in a similar pose, but he is clearly correcting a slide:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... F&usqp=CAU

I wonder if he locked his rear brakes?
They showed it in an Italian documentary about Bandini's life. Although Italian tv can be very bad I don't think they can go that low, so I am pretty sure the image is authentic.

In this onboard shot taken the same year from the exact same place in wich the picture was taken you can see that Bandini was clearly looking at the escape route:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

coland wrote: 4 years ago
ReneLotus wrote: 4 years ago It could just be a bit of distortion, but is that right front looking like coming off the rim?
Looks it.
I think it is just an illusion created by the color and design of the rim. Look at these other pictures from Bandini himself and also Amon:

Image Image

If you zoom in the Amon one looks even more evident, so I suppose it is just the way the Ferrari's tyres worked.
It's seeing the white paint on the road behind it that makes it stand out though. To me it does look like the tyre is moving massively sideways (like you might get if you were turning really hard - but the wheels themselves don't seem to be greatly angled).

You can see the bottom of the tyre underneath the tyre, but above it it's really pushed in.

Granted, it's a bit like that on the right tyre, but no where near as much.

That said, maybe he was turning fairly hard, which is what is causing his body to move across?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
coland
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by coland »

coland wrote: 4 years ago
Looks it.

Image Image

It's seeing the white paint on the road behind it that makes it stand out though. To me it does look like the tyre is moving massively sideways (like you might get if you were turning really hard - but the wheels themselves don't seem to be greatly angled).

You can see the bottom of the tyre underneath the tyre, but above it it's really pushed in.

Granted, it's a bit like that on the right tyre, but no where near as much.

That said, maybe he was turning fairly hard, which is what is causing his body to move across?
I got your point and the tyre it is definitely more stressed than in the other pictures.

According to my theory (and of some others) Bandini lost the car in the breaking zone. If you look frame by frame the very start of the amateur video showing his crash, it is pretty clear to me that the car is pointing towards the left guardrail, Bandini corrects the oversteer and avoid crashing there but the car is now too much towards the inside of the ideal racing line, about beside Surtees in the first picture but more to the left, so he must give more steering angle to try to put the car in, hence the bigger deformation of the tyre.

Bandini had probably less of a second thinking of what to do (taking the escape route or try to go through the chicane) and considering he almost did it against all odds (he touched the shell board only with the back wheel) it is even more sad.

We can than speculate up to the end of time on what caused that oversteer in the first place but as I said before the exhausted driver theory is simply ridiculous.
mstnrc

Post by mstnrc »

I HAVE ANOTHER DOUBT: THE IMAGE APPEARS CRUSHED. AS YOU CAN SEE BY COMPARING THE PHOTO WITH THE OTHER PUBLISHED PHOTOS, THE TIRES ARE NARROWER AND HIGHER
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

mstnrc wrote: 4 years ago I HAVE..... AND HIGHER
No caps please.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
coland
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by coland »

mstnrc wrote: 4 years ago I HAVE ANOTHER DOUBT: THE IMAGE APPEARS CRUSHED. AS YOU CAN SEE BY COMPARING THE PHOTO WITH THE OTHER PUBLISHED PHOTOS, THE TIRES ARE NARROWER AND HIGHER
You are right, it is because that is a still from a video, so it was deformed by the video aspect ratio, I didn't notice it. Anyway I have found the actual picture and it looks pretty the same in all aspects.

Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Motorsportrace wrote: 7 years ago
PTRACER wrote:
sadsac wrote:I did not know the day before his fatal crash he had another crash in practice at Monaco :amazed
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/475903885604435160/
maybe the resulting damage could have attributed to his accident the next day :wink:
This is completely new to me! But we will have to write it off, it would have had nothing to do with his fatal crash. On the other hand, if this is proof that he was driving too hard all weekend...

Regarding his gears - it looks like it's in 4th gear, but I don't think it's actually in the "gate". i think it's in neutral, between 4th and 5th.
Bandini crashed during practice, got back to the pits, then went out again to test the car, which front-right suspension was damaged:

http://www.gpx.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 80#p156549
A worried Bandini watches his car being repaired:

From the Corriere Della Sera archive.
Motorsportrace
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

I wonder was the front suspension that was damaged in his crash the day before replaced or just repaired for the race ???