Video game music

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

Re: Video game music

Post by Jesper Hvid » 1 year ago

Latest post of the previous page:

Hubbard's score for the C=64 shoot'em up Lightforce, which ran during gameplay, but was ruined by various sound effects. This is in its pure form.
If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

Tel's Hawkeye (arcade adventure) tune:

If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB » 1 year ago

Two of my faves were Rob Hubbard's Action Biker and Tony Crowther's Suicide Express (he wrote the game too).

I never threw out my Zzap! 64 collection, they once did a group interview with Crowther, Daglish, Hubbard etc, must dig it out when I get chance.

Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

EB wrote:
1 year ago
Two of my faves were Rob Hubbard's Action Biker and Tony Crowther's Suicide Express (he wrote the game too).

I never threw out my Zzap! 64 collection, they once did a group interview with Crowther, Daglish, Hubbard etc, must dig it out when I get chance.
I'd like to read that, sometime, if poss. Didn't subscribe myself, but that was probably the best mag back then.

Another one from the Hub:

That shoot'em-up was so good overall value for money (£2), I can't remember a better product, vis-á-vis price, on cassette. Braybrook's Paradroid, maybe.

Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

Tony Crowther's first game was a text adventure in BASIC:

I think he may have invented the concept of proper attire, in those types of games: 0:55. You were perpetually stuck in the game, unless you wore the cloak, before examining the cellar. An old-school piece of "interactive fiction", which helped establish some of the genre conventions. There was very seldom musical scores to those games, but Hubbard made one that I'll always remember.

This was so brilliantly atmospheric, it made you carry on playing it. Carried the game. Themes fit the stages of the game, if you play it right. Took a long time to load on cassette, so you'd tend to stick with it all night, before "getting up for school". Brought the map with me, to look at, during classes. Humming the tune. Thinking about what to do with the corpse of the dead Quarg you'd just slaughtered... Hubbard also dominated the D&D-genre with the ingame tune for The Master of Magic.

:haha: Ah, the Eighties... Today's games, I don't think anything's left for the imagination. They're simulators, now.

Jesper Hvid
Crashfinder General
Crashfinder General

And Rob's absolute pièce de réstistance, for Monty on the Run (arcade adventure). Best of its era.

Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo » 1 year ago

Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo » 11 months ago