1913 Percy Lambert's Fatal LSR Crash, Brooklands

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

1913 Percy Lambert's Fatal LSR Crash, Brooklands

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Always wondered why there's never been anything about that.

http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=791
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Original footage from the previous succesful run, breaking the 100mph limit in 1913.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Claptrap. But if they can absurdly ridicule the man's memory for about seven-and-a-half minutes, in the interest of the Surrey tourist industry, they might at least have shown us something in the way of visual media, concerning his fatal crash. But they can't, can they. There is none, otherwise it would have found its way into literature, or the Internet, by now. I wonder why Brooklands isn't a strong enough brand in itself, without this idiotic hobgoblinization.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The Automobile magazine, October issue, 2010. Article about the Lambert LSR-runs.

Last chance. Am trying to see if it's online somewhere, if not I'll buy and scan.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

ImageImageImageImageImage

5 scans, click to enlarge.

As expected, no visual media, but it does state that there was only one eye-witness to the accident, and no mention of any photographers present. Which explains why there isn't as much as a single photo from the day of the fatal attempt.

This of course does not exclude the existence of wreck pics taken later, possibly at a different location. Why these haven't surfaced after all this time is strange, and suggest that not even post-crash visual media exists. Lambert was possibly the last British star of the heroic age, and as the Great War intervened, track of the wreck might have been lost, if the car hadn't been sent to the USA, where it was involved in another fatal accident, the 1916 pile-up at Kalamazoo:

http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... =ct&n=6453
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... =ct&n=6454

And we have something from that, here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=86&p=174771&hilit= ... ck#p174771

I'll not comment on the different versions of crash descriptions, as there is no point, since I wasn't there, my alarm clock didn't work, so I didn't make it.

But our grainy old Kalamazoo pics in turn solves the unIDd one, here:

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=13262

And it looks like it had been broadsided, so that might in fact have been Percy Lambert's wreck, after emigrating to the USA, but the car would have been modified, because it doesn't look like the Sunbeam. So it is probably Kline's Crawford wreck, instead. As it said, it had been rammed by the Peacock Sunbeam. I'd say mmorg have got it wrong. But we know it's from the 1916 accident.

But the original request in all probability will never be fulfilled. It's more likely that they find George Mallory's camera up on Everest. At least they know that it is there. Somewhere...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The National Motor Museum houses a small collection of newspaper cuttings and whatnot, which mostly surround his death: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... fbb3527a2d

Whether these contain any photos is another matter. Well done for solving the Kalamazoo pic. I'm so glad I kept those items in the Rubbish Bin rather than binning them entirely, which I almost did the other day.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records