Cadillac Records

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Cadillac Records

Post by strad »

any interest? I enjoyed it.
Cadillac Records is a 2008 American musical biopic written and directed by Darnell Martin. The film explores the musical era from the early 1940s to the late 1960s, chronicling the life of the influential Chicago-based record-company executive Leonard Chess, and the musicians who recorded for Chess Records.

The film stars Adrien Brody as Chess, Cedric the Entertainer as Willie Dixon, Mos Def as Chuck Berry, Columbus Short as Little Walter, Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters, Eamonn Walker as Howlin' Wolf, and Beyoncé Knowles as Etta James. The film was released in North America on December 5, 2008 by TriStar Pictures.
Leonard Chess was the co-founder of the 1950s American record label Chess Records, located in Chicago, Illinois. He ran the legendary company with his brother, Phil, through the 1950s and '60s. The label started selling albums from the back of Chess' Cadillac, and launched the careers of legendary musical personalities such as blues singers and harmonica and guitar players Little Walter and Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, soul legend Etta James and guitarist singer-songwriters Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley.
American multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and music producer Steve Jordan produced the soundtrack to the film. He also hand picked a group of top blues artists including Billy Flynn (guitar), Larry Taylor (bass), Eddie Taylor Jr. (guitar), Barrelhouse Chuck Goering (piano), Kim Wilson (harmonica), Danny Kortchmar (guitar), Hubert Sumlin (guitar), and Bill Sims (guitar) who along with Steve on drums re-recorded all of the classic blues songs used in the film.

Knowles recorded five songs for the soundtrack, including a cover version of Etta James' "At Last" which was released on December 2, 2008 as its lead single. Mos Def, Jeffrey Wright, Columbus Short, and Eamonn Walker recorded songs for the soundtrack, and Raphael Saadiq, Knowles' sister Solange, Mary Mary, Nas, Buddy Guy, and Elvis Presley also appear on the album. The soundtrack will be released in single- and double-disc editions.

The month after the film was released, Beyoncé performed "At Last" at the inauguration ball of Barack Obama, as he and wife Michelle danced together for the first time as President and First Lady.

The soundtrack spent 48 weeks at number one of the Top Blues Albums.

The soundtrack is nominated for three 2010 Grammy Awards in the following categories: Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media , Beyoncé's "Once in a Lifetime" for Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media Grammy Award and Beyoncé's "At Last" for Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I've seen it, and enjoyed it somewhat. It lacks a coherent story, but worth watching. Awesome music.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

A gig...divx..click photo
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

Sorry no ones interested...While not exactly a biography. it does tell the story of Chess records...without whom there wouldn't have been half the most famous acts in music and Rock and Roll certainly wouldn't have been the same without them.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

If only we had more than 18 active members...we're a bit limited at the moment, but I'm working on it!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

thanks strad. i was adviced by a friend to watch this video right the day after you've put it online. gonna watch it. thanks
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Skypilot
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: NHRA
Favourite Racing Car: 99 Reynard
Favourite Driver: Nathan Buttke
Favourite Circuit: Chicago Motor Speedway
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi

Post by Skypilot »

I'm only bumping this because I saw this movie and loved it. I am a big big fan of the early rhythm and blues, rock and roll, and the other pioneers of rock. While this wasn't the greatest movie ever made, it at least drew attention to this forgotten chapter of music.
I’m a driver, I’m a winner; things are gonna change I can feel it.

http://www.spamgasm.org