Australian Race Circuits

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
crashdave

Post by crashdave »

Bottom post of the previous page:

people always bag on QR but it isnt that bad, great for spectators, drivers have to deal with the bumps at t1 and t3 but overall i dont have a problem with it, unless youve been there you dont really know for sure.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Canberra is incredibly fun to drive on racing games at least and Hidden Valley's not dull at all!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
motoholic

Post by motoholic »

Hi

Here is an image of my home track of Barbagallo (Wanneroo) near Perth in Western Australia. The circuit is 2.4 klm's in its long configuration and as you can see also has a short circuit.

Its a top little track that rises and falls quite dramatically in sections. Its probably a little on the short side and only has one decent left hand turn but otherwise lots of fun.

I have only ever raced bikes at this track, which IMHO it is better suited for as the elevation changes cause the front wheel to get easily airborne :thumbsup: Turn 6 is known as the basin, IMO one of the best corners in Aus with the entry being downhill and as soon as you hit the apex it rises rapidly with the corner opening nicely. It also has some nice positive camber through there as well.

I have some arial pictures somwhere which ill post if i can find them.

Cheers

Andrew

THANKS TO MY SPONSORS
PRESTIGE HONDA
TOTAL MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES
motoholic

Post by motoholic »

Found it. Wanneroo from the air at a recent V8 Supercars meeting.
THANKS TO MY SPONSORS
PRESTIGE HONDA
TOTAL MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES
Lunatic Armchair
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Location: St Alfonzo's Pancake breakfast,where I stole the marjerene

Post by Lunatic Armchair »

I've always thought Barbie Jello had the worst pit road in motorsports,Other wise it's a good track, thanks for the pix. :thumbsup:
Matt wrote:The 1981 Monaco and Spanish Grands Prix had a surprising winner, merely due to the fact that they're the only races in history to have been won by a World War 2 tank disguised as a Formula One car.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Many thanks and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SouthPawRacer
Favourite Motorsport: All types, I guess!
Favourite Racing Car: Any, they're all awesome.
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: What? LOL

Post by SouthPawRacer »

Barbagallo's my local track as well, and I can tell you it's a great spectator track. I went there for what is meant to be the final V8 Supercar meeting there last year, and it was amazing. From my spot on the hill at the exit of turn 1, I could see literally half the circuit - almost the entire start/finish straight, all the way up through T1 and the esses straight after. What was even better was that the spectator fence was just above the track, but right next to it - seeing as we weren't in a grandstand, I could just go right up to the fence and watch the cars flashing by as they accelerated out of the first turn. V8 Supercars and Historic Touring cars and open wheelers, separated from you by no more than a few metres, and no earplugs. Bliss. :cool:
ProjectTilke.
A race track design project by Rhys Gardiner + Resi Respati
Speedworx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Tony Stewart
Favourite Circuit: Talladega Superspeedway
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by Speedworx »

Lunatic Armchair wrote:I've always thought Barbie Jello had the worst pit road in motorsports,Other wise it's a good track, thanks for the pix. :thumbsup:
I've always felt the pitlane should be on the otherside of the front straight. Otherwise I like this track. Shame V8 have dropped it.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

SouthPawRacer wrote:Barbagallo's my local track as well, and I can tell you it's a great spectator track.
QR is even better for spectators. It may be bad for racing, but from the main straight spectator area (unless you're a VIP or you're a track member or something like that you don't get in the small grandstands) on a V8 meeting you can see the entire track except coming right up to turn 1, and on a normal meeting where there aren't so many specators you can see the whole track. Another I'd like to add to the list of tracks is Morgan Park, just outside of Warwick, around 200kms from Brisbane. For a club track, it doesn't seem like to bad a track and with safety and track facility improvements it may be able to host important races of national significance:

(sorry about the URL, but for the life of me I cannot get the youtube thing to work)
Last edited by kals 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by admin to include [youtube] tags
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

theracer120 wrote:(sorry about the URL, but for the life of me I cannot get the youtube thing to work)
It's not that hard :whistling:

All you need to do is embed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKWJJKJ2B3Y in the [youtube][/youtube] tags above. You do not include any of the other stuff that can sometimes be after the actual URL. Hope this helps?

Thanks for the post :thumbsup:
Quixotic
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheeler racing
Favourite Racing Car: Brabham BT19
Favourite Driver: Black Jack Brabham
Favourite Circuit: Amaroo Park, (now dead)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Stinger Formula Vee

Post by Quixotic »

Catalina Park wrote:Speaking as a retired (broke) driver.
Bathurst is the best to race on, it is a hell of a thrill to drive across the top of the hill and then throw the car over the edge and down the other side.
I wish someone had taken photos of the crash that I had after the Dipper.

I never raced at Canberra but it was a joke of a track. It was not wide enough for two cars to pass. It was bumpy as well. I stood on the outside of the last corner (a very long fast right) with Formula Holdens on the track and they were getting bounced off the track, I did not stand there for long as I did not want to be in the firing line!

Baskerville in Tasmania is a fantastic little track with blind corners over the top of crests, it has a bit of everything. I enjoyed the meeting I did there.

Oran Park is a bit bland but I will miss it when it is gone. They have spoiled it by adding width on the exits of all the corners, the Dogleg is now almost a straight!

Amaroo is the track that I miss the most. It was great but very dangerous. I crashed on my first lap there!

Eastern Creek is a good track to drive around fast but is not much of a race track! You can block for nearly the whole lap! Turn 1 is great, very fast and it just goes on forever.

Winton is a great little track but does look boring on TV. I have done a couple of thousand race laps there! Never boring when you are in the car!

Catalina Park was a great circuit. I grew up right next to it. Very fast, flowing track with no run off room at all. It was a product of the 1960s and closed for circuit racing in 1970. It was used for rallycross and sprints but is now closed for good. I had a win there in a sprint meeting in the 80s.

Your experience at Amaroo is exactly the same as mine. I crashed at Stop corner on my first lap of practice there, I also love Baskerville, the layout is great, but the back straight was way too bumpy for little 125cc GP bikes.

I was never a huge fan of Oran Park, but it is still sad to see it gone.

Lakeside would be my next favourite track, although I have not raced on it in a car, only bikes. I did not even mind the Bus Stop.....
Quixotic

Post by Quixotic »

Catalina Park wrote:Speaking as a retired (broke) driver.
Bathurst is the best to race on, it is a hell of a thrill to drive across the top of the hill and then throw the car over the edge and down the other side.
I wish someone had taken photos of the crash that I had after the Dipper.

I never raced at Canberra but it was a joke of a track. It was not wide enough for two cars to pass. It was bumpy as well. I stood on the outside of the last corner (a very long fast right) with Formula Holdens on the track and they were getting bounced off the track, I did not stand there for long as I did not want to be in the firing line!

Baskerville in Tasmania is a fantastic little track with blind corners over the top of crests, it has a bit of everything. I enjoyed the meeting I did there.

Oran Park is a bit bland but I will miss it when it is gone. They have spoiled it by adding width on the exits of all the corners, the Dogleg is now almost a straight!

Amaroo is the track that I miss the most. It was great but very dangerous. I crashed on my first lap there!

Eastern Creek is a good track to drive around fast but is not much of a race track! You can block for nearly the whole lap! Turn 1 is great, very fast and it just goes on forever.

Winton is a great little track but does look boring on TV. I have done a couple of thousand race laps there! Never boring when you are in the car!

Catalina Park was a great circuit. I grew up right next to it. Very fast, flowing track with no run off room at all. It was a product of the 1960s and closed for circuit racing in 1970. It was used for rallycross and sprints but is now closed for good. I had a win there in a sprint meeting in the 80s.

Your experience at Amaroo is exactly the same as mine. I crashed at Stop corner on my first lap of practice there, I also love Baskerville, the layout is great, but the back straight was way too bumpy for little 125cc GP bikes.

I was never a huge fan of Oran Park, but it is still sad to see it gone.

Lakeside would be my next favourite track, although I have not raced on it in a car, only bikes. I did not even mind the Bus Stop.....
Quixotic

Post by Quixotic »

motoholic wrote:Found it. Wanneroo from the air at a recent V8 Supercars meeting.

Ahhhh I had a big crash at Skyline at the ARRC in 96. Broke a few things. Not fun!