Favourite Motorsport: Formula One + BTCC
Favourite Racing Car: FW14B
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Oliver Dale »

Bottom post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago The race for the win in the LMP2 class was a close call... They just managed to evade the slow driving and finishing cars in front of them. The margin? 0,7 seconds.
I was sure it was going to end in tears for a split second..... the slow (GT) car not involved must have shit himself :haha:
And the checkered flag man.....
Apparently that particular Chequered Flag man has a reputation for being dangerous and is banned by Motorsport UK from attending meetings in the UK.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hehehe quite an amusing moment then... one of the teams a pit crew member had fallen asleep in his seat.. The rest of the team put large cable ties around him tying him to the chair and then woke him up to find himself tied to the chair.
Hehehe found that moment....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

WRT’s Frijns “Thought the Race Was Over” When Issues Struck

Frijns describes late-race dramas that put No. 31 WRT crew’s LMP2 win into question…

24 Hours of Le Mans LMP2 class winner Robin Frijns “thought the race was over” for Team WRT’s No. 31 crew after an air jack failure and contact with a GTE car appeared to thwart their chances of victory in the final three hours.

Frijns, Ferdinand Habsburg and Charles Milesi ended up prevailing despite their leading Oreca 07 Gibson encountering a series of late dramas that thrust the sister No. 41 WRT Oreca driven by Robert Kubica, Louis Deletraz and Yifei Ye in a position to win.

The fortunes reversed again when Ye stopped at the beginning of the last lap, enabling Frijns to inherit a lead that he would go on to convert in a thrilling final-lap battle with JOTA driver Tom Blomqvist that was decided by 0.7 seconds.

The No. 31 WRT Oreca held the advantage over its teammate entry heading into Sunday afternoon, only for the air jacks that prop the car up during tire changes to fail.

This forced the Belgian squad to deploy a pneumatic ’emergency lift’ device to push the car up enough to perform tire changes, although only front and rear tires were replaced at each stop to limit the time loss.

When that emergency measure started, Frijns took a new set of Goodyears on the front but was left running on rear tires that were four stints old, resulting in an imbalance.

“They couldn’t change the rears because I was already losing a minute in the pit stop because of the air jack,” Frijns told Sportscar365.

“And obviously the car was completely on the nose because of the new front tires. I drove like that for seven or eight laps and came in to change the rears.

“Then it got even worse, so we lost another 20-25 seconds at the pit stop because we changed the rears without any air jacks.”

More drama was to come for Frijns, who had contact with a GTE-Am Porsche 911 RSR-19 turning into Tertre Rouge. The contact caused damage to the Oreca’s left-rear and added another dimension to the car’s handling issues.

“I felt straight away that the construction of the tire broke,” Frijns explained.

“I could not load the tire on right-side corners. I was sliding around massively. I felt like I lost downforce. I just lost all the pace because something broke on the car.

“I drove an entire stint with a broken left-rear tire. It was the construction: I know how it feels because I’ve had it two or three times in the DTM on the [old] Hankook sidewalls.

“I had that feeling in the car, and that’s how I knew it wasn’t a puncture. So I did a whole stint without losing a lot of time. We changed rears again.

“Meanwhile the fronts were getting old while I had new rears. I was thinking that the car was going to be understeering like a pig, but in two laps I had no rears again. That wasn’t [due to] the tire. That was just downforce.

“Because all of the right-hand corners, I had no downforce and the left-hand was getting tricky as well, very snappy. Like the diffuser or something broke.”

With the No. 31 Oreca clearly struggling, Frijns believed that he and his co-drivers were about to squander their chance of winning after a commanding run through the night.

“At that point, I thought the race was over,” he recalled. “I was very desperate in the car; in a way, I was getting down. And then Blomqvist was flying compared to the pace I had.”

However, a lifeline came when the leading No. 41 car stopped just after the Dunlop Bridge due to a “technical issue” issue that WRT has yet to fully diagnose.

“When I crossed the finish line to start my last lap, the radio was going ballistic saying, ‘the sister car has stopped!” said Frijns.

“I was just securing my P2, but then suddenly you need to secure P1.”

Frijns “Could See” Wild Finish Coming

Frijns noted that he had observed the two Toyota GR010 Hybrids exiting the pits at the same time with three laps to go, which meant he could anticipate how the LMP2 race would end.

On the final lap, Blomqvist tore into the Dutchman’s lead and was on his tail after exiting the Porsche Curves for the final time. At the Ford Chicane, traffic backed up by the Toyotas’ staged finish caused a wild end to the LMP2 battle.

“I knew exactly what was going to happen: they wanted to have their photo finish,” said Frijns.

“All the guys they overtook didn’t want to overtake back because they didn’t want to do an extra lap. I could see it coming.

“I was there behind them for three or four seconds, struggling for pace and struggling to find every tenth I could find.

“And I saw, heading into the last sector, Blomqvist was already 1.2 seconds behind and people were slowing down. What do you do?

“The P2 out of the last corner slowed down, so I turned right and kissed the car on the right. He didn’t expect it and I’m definitely not blaming him for it.

“The rear was sliding away a bit, and then the next thing I see is the checkered flag man in front of me, so I turned hard left again.”

Frijns narrowly avoided the on-track attendant waving the checkered flag. He later suggested that changes to the race-end procedure should be considered if cars are still battling behind a staged finish.

“I fully support the idea that the checkered flag guy is on the finish line because it’s tradition and it looks good for pictures,” he said.

“I’m not saying it needs to be banned next year. But they need to consider if someone is still fighting for P1 or podium positions behind, to speed up or let them go or whatever.

“But don’t drive 80 km/h over the finish line when you have people fighting behind you.”
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/wrt ... es-struck/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thanks. That Frijns account fills in a few blanks I had.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Le Mans Post-Race Notebook

Sportscar365’s post-race notebook from 89th edition of 24 Hours of Le Mans…

***Toyota scored its fourth consecutive 24 Hours of Le Mans victory and became the first manufacturer to do so in the new Hypercar era with a 1-2 finish for the pair of Toyota GR010 Hybrids, which battled fuel pressure-related issues in the final six hours.

***Four-time Le Mans pole-sitter Kamui Kobayashi became the fourth Japanese driver to win the race outright, joining teammate Kazuki Nakajima as well as Seiji Ara and Masanori Sekiya.

***Jose Maria Lopez also added himself to the record books as the first Argentinean driver in 67 years to triumph in the endurance classic after Jose Froilan Gonzalez’s win in a Ferrari 375 Plus in 1954.

***Kobayashi, Lopez and Mike Conway have taken over the lead of the World Drivers’ Championship with their double-points win and now hold a nine-point advantage over teammates Nakajima, Sebastien Buemi and Brendon Hartley heading into the final two FIA World Endurance Championship races of the season in Bahrain.

***Runner-up finisher Buemi explained the first restart of the race where he was tapped from behind by the No. 708 Glickenhaus 007 of Olivier Pla and spun around. Pla was given a ten-second penalty for the incident.

“At the start you try to be quite cautious because you go for a 24-hour race, especially if it’s wet,” said Buemi. “I took it easy but he basically locked up the tires and he ended up hitting me. We were somewhat quite lucky as he hit us right in the left-rear wheel. Luckily we didn’t have any damage.”

***Toyota Gazoo Racing Europe technical director Pascal Vasselon said that he expected the competition in the Hypercar class to be closer. “The lap times we did, if you look at the practice sessions, it was expected for us to do a mid-27. We were expecting the competition to be a bit closer.”

***Vasselon called the No. 8 Toyota’s comeback drive “remarkable” and reckoned that it would have been strong contenders for the win had it not experienced fuel pressure issues.

***The fastest lap of the race went to Hartley on Lap 60, just over four hours after the 4 p.m. start. The New Zealander set a time of 3:27.607 in the No. 8 Toyota.

***The winning Toyota posted the fastest speed trap figure of the event, and of the Hypercar class in official sessions so far, with Kobayashi breaking the beam at 339.1 km/h (210.7 mph) during the race.

***Michelin picked up its 24th consecutive overall victory at Le Mans in the debut of its new Hypercar class tires. Multiple LMH cars triple-stinted and could have even run quadruple stints had the needed to according to Michelin’s endurance racing program manager Pierre Alves.

***Jim Glickenhaus now owns two cars that have scored fourth place overall finishes at Le Mans, his No. 708 Glickenhaus 007 as well as the Shelby-American Ford Mk IV driven by the late Bruce McLaren and Mark Donohue in 1967. Glickenhaus was proudly wearing an armband from that Ford GT40 effort during the race.

***DragonSpeed’s Henrik Hedman, Ben Hanley and Juan Pablo Montoya became the first official class winners of LMP2 Pro-Am at Le Mans, overcoming a drive-time snafu that forced Bronze-rated Hedman to finish the race due to him being one minute short of the six-hour minimum.

***An electrical issue ultimately put the No. 24 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports Oreca out of the race in the 19th hour. It came after a series of other setbacks including an oil leak and accident by Le Mans debutant Patrick Kelly, who had secured the entry through winning IMSA’s Jim Trueman Award last year.

***The Panis Racing-run PR1/Mathiasen entry was one four retirements and two non-classifications in LMP2 alongside the No. 25 G-Drive Racing Aurus, No. 32 United Autosports Oreca and No. 1 Richard Mille Racing Oreca, which all had accidents.

***Both the No. 82 Risi Competizione Oreca (engine) and No. 31 WRT Oreca were not classified at the finish.

***WRT sporting director Thierry Tassin described the team’s call to perform their late-race changes with an ’emergency lift’ inflatable device after the air jacks failed as a “MacGyver recovery”. He told Sportscar365: “It was great for the team to manage the race like that, because the only other solution was to bring the car inside the box. ”

***Tassin also suggested that Chinese racer Yifei Ye could be considered the “revelation of the race” after an impressive Silver driver performance in the No. 41 Oreca. “He was super-fast and consistent and didn’t make any mistakes,” Tassin reflected.

***Despite not winning on Sunday, the No. 28 JOTA crew are now WEC points leaders in LMP2, courtesy of an 18th place finish for the No. 22 United Autosports lineup that have slipped from first to fourth in the standings. LMP2 race winners Robin Frijns, Ferdinand Habsburg and Charles Milesi are now only one point out of the lead in second.

***A return to the LMP2 top-step continued to evade JOTA, as the two-time class victor finished on the podium without winning for the third consecutive year. The British team did, however, manage to get a car in the LMP2 top five for the eighth year in a row.

***The No. 92 Porsche 911 RSR-19 wasn’t the only new chassis on the grid following Thursday’s track action as Inception Racing was forced to go to a spare Ferrari 488 GTE Evo following Ollie Millroy’s accident in Free Practice 4. The Optimum Motorsport-run team finished 12th in the GTE-Am class.

***Alessandro Pier Guidi, Come Ledogar and Nicklas Nielsen all claimed GTE class victories at Le Mans on Sunday, just three weeks after teaming for overall victory in the TotalEnergies 24 Hours of Spa at the wheel of an IronLynx-entered Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo 2020.

***Pier Guidi and James Calado retook the World Endurance GT championship lead with their double-points GTE-Pro victory for Ferrari. Kevin Estre and Neel Jani are 12 points behind. The GTE overall points lead has changed after every round of the WEC season so far.

***AF Corse’s Nielsen, Alessio Rovera and Francois Perrodo left Le Mans with an inflated 36.5-point lead in GTE-Am, courtesy of their class win combined with a retirement for their main rivals at Cetilar Racing.

***Cetilar retired after Roberto Lacorte struck the Tertre Rouge tire barrier following a tangle with a GTE-Pro Porsche. The Italian voiced his displeasure after retiring less than seven hours in: “Unfortunately, a Porsche with three laps of delay ran into me in a silly way, without mincing words,” he said. “It was silly because in the following section of the track there would have been the Hunaudieres straight and since it was a Pro car, it could have easily outrun me.”

***Porsche’s head of WEC operations Alex Stehlig described the manufacturer’s GTE-Pro result as “disappointing” after the 2019 winner was unable to match the factory Ferraris and the No. 63 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R. “Despite our good and systematic preparation, we didn’t have the lap-time performance and the top speed we’d hoped for compared to the competition,” he said.

***Elton Julian has called off efforts to race in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship next year with a DPi car, having told Sportscar365 that he’s “pretty much given up” after not making any headway with Mazda on a potential customer RT24-P for the series.

***With its longest round of the year in the books, the WEC has a long break ahead of it before the final two rounds of the season at Bahrain International Circuit in October and November. European Le Mans Series teams will be in action sooner, with the 4 Hours of Spa taking place in four weeks’ time.
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/le- ... otebook-7/
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »