2020 LE MANS 24HRS

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2020 LE MANS 24HRS

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thought we usually have an exclusive thread for the race so here we go.

Will start it off by quoting @erwin grevens post in the general WEC thread, regarding the entry list.
erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago
Van Gisbergen to make Le Mans debut

Just a note from that I see SVG is in for the first time ever, down to drive Eurasia Motorsport’s Gibson powered Ligier JSP217 LMP2 car, the same as he drove to a podium (IIRC) at the Asian Le Mans Series race at The Bend in January. Shane is the only driver named in the car on the entry list. I know Craig Lowndes was also hoping to cross the 24hr race off his bucket list but there is still time for him to be nominated yet in another team. Tim Slade, the DJR Team Penske Pirtek Enduro Cup co-driver named for Hub Auto Corsa. Tim won the California 8 Hours with them in 2019 and also drove at the Bathurst 12 hour with the team..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Possible Le Mans WEC postponement to be decided in April

It seems like Le Mans in June is a definite maybe/possibility.... but maybe not. A decision on whether it will go ahead in June will be made next month.

The good news is that whether or not it goes ahead in June, it will definitely happen this year.
Le Mans' organisers - the Automobile Club de l'Ouest - has revealed that it will make an announcement on April 15 on whether the 2019/20 World Endurance Championship finale can go ahead as planned on June 13/14 or have to be delayed in the face of the deepening coronavirus crisis.

ACO president Pierre Fillon said: "We are monitoring the situation and following instructions issued by the authorities.

"Whatever happens, the Le Mans 24 Hours will go ahead this year."

The news from the ACO on Monday followed quickly after the announcement of the postponement of the penultimate round of the WEC scheduled for Spa on April 25.

The sporting regulations for the WEC demand that the championship is made up of a minimum of six races.

The cancellation of the Sebring 1000 Miles and the postponement of Spa mean that five of the planned eight rounds 2019/20 rounds have so far taken place.

The ACO statement offered no indication as to when the 88th running of the French endurance race would take place should it not be possible for the race to take place in June.
Shades of 1968 when the race was postponed until September due to civil unrest in France.

The only problem in having Le Mans in September is that the 20/21 season is scheduled to start at Silverstone in the first weekend of September. (With the new spec cars!) I guess they would likely push back Silverstone and the new season start until after Le Mans should the LM24 be postponed until then.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

LE MANS POSTPONED

Further to yesterdays announcement of a decision being made next month the ACO have announced today that the race is postponed until 19-20 September. The postponement will mean the new season, due to have started at Silverstone earlier in September will also be changed to suit.
The Le Mans 24 Hours has been postponed from June to September as a result of the worsening coronavirus pandemic.

A new date for the World Endurance Championship finale of 19-20 September has been announced for an event originally set for 13-14 June by race organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest.

ACO president Pierre Fillon said: "Postponing Le Mans 24 Hours from the original dates in June is now the most appropriate way forward in the current exceptional circumstances.

"First and foremost, I urge everyone to avoid putting themselves, their loved ones and others at risk: the most important thing today is to curtail the spread of this virus."

The new date means that there will be a delay to 2020/21 WEC season, which was due to kick off at Silverstone on September 5.

Fillon explained that new dates for season nine of the WEC and this year's European Le Mans Series, which has already cancelled its opening two races at Barcelona and Monza in April and May respectively, will be announced shortly.

He added that the "safety and quality of our events will not be compromised".

The exact schedule for Le Mans week will be part of this announcement, according to the ACO statement.

No reference was made to the Le Mans test day, originally scheduled for 31 May, in the release nor to the likelihood of the postponed Spa round of the 2019/20 WEC being rescheduled.

The announcement follows a statement from Fillon on Monday afternoon saying that a decision would be communicated on 15 April whether the 88th running of Le Mans would go ahead in June or be delayed.

This was followed hours later by the imposition by the French government of stringent measures iin an attempt to slow the spread of the Covid-19 virus.

Moving Le Mans into the late summer will require a wholesale rejig of the 2020/21 WEC calendar.

The Silverstone opener was to be followed by a race at Monza on October 4 before the first non-European race at Fuji on November 1.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago

Van Gisbergen to make Le Mans debut

Just a note from that I see SVG is in for the first time ever, down to drive Eurasia Motorsport’s Gibson powered Ligier JSP217 LMP2 car, the same as he drove to a podium (IIRC) at the Asian Le Mans Series race at The Bend in January. Shane is the only driver named in the car on the entry list. I know Craig Lowndes was also hoping to cross the 24hr race off his bucket list but there is still time for him to be nominated yet in another team. Tim Slade, the DJR Team Penske Pirtek Enduro Cup co-driver named for Hub Auto Corsa. Tim won the California 8 Hours with them in 2019 and also drove at the Bathurst 12 hour with the team..
Now it is a case of no LM24 this year for either Slade or SVG.....

the September 19 Date now the time for this years LM24 is a direct clash with the proposed weekend for the Supercars Tailem Bend round, so both will have to be at Tailem Bend.

As it is also a Pirtek Enduro round, it will also mean no chance of a Late Le Mans call up for Craig Lowndes who is driving a co driver role for RBR.

Always next year.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Sausset Team Withdraws Garage 56 Entry

Team of disabled racers cancels its Le Mans entry; Spirit of Race moves into main field…

Sausset Racing Team 41 has withdrawn its Garage 56 experimental entry from this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, five months before the race.

The French outfit run by quadruple amputee Frederic Sausset had plans to return to the endurance classic after three years away with a crew of disabled drivers.

However, Sausset confirmed on Tuesday that the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic on the team’s preparations have forced it to postpone its entry.

SRT41 intended to run a specially modified Oreca 07 Gibson for Takuma Aoki, Nigel Bailly and Snoussi Ben Moussa, with operational support from French LMP2 outfit Graff.

The team is now aiming to be on the grid for the 2021 edition of Le Mans and has already made a request to event organizer the Automobile Club de l’Ouest.

Sausset told Endurance-Info that he still plans to enter the SRT41 Oreca into two European Le Mans Series races this year, despite its absence from the 24 Hours.

“Giving up [the entry] for this year is the wisest decision,” he said.

“The current situation has a lot of consequences that we cannot all control. There is also the obvious lack of preparation.

“Such an adventure is essentially based on communication, and taking part in a race in the wake of what we are currently experiencing bothers me. However, we are not turning the page on the project.

“This break will give us more time to find new partners as soon as possible.

“I personally called all the partners to explain the delay and everyone approved of the decision. It is positive to have the support of partners who continue to believe in this adventure.

“It is the biggest decision I have had to make since I got into motorsport in 2015. The desire of partners is intact, which for me is essential.”

The withdrawal of Sausset’s team means that Spirit of Race is now set to enter the main Le Mans field having originally been at the top of the 10-car reserve list.

European Le Mans Series regulars Duncan Cameron, Matt Griffin and Aaron Scott are listed as the drivers of the team’s Ferrari 488 GTE Evo.

It means that LMP1 competitor ByKolles Racing Team has been moved up to first reserve, ahead of LMP2 squads IDEC Sport and High Class Racing, while Proton Competition is fourth in line and first of the GTE stand-by entries.
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/sau ... ans-entry/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A shame re the Sausset entry. :sorrow:
I dare say other smaller teams will also have problems with being ready, due to Covid-19 spin-off probs and budget difficulties.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

ByKolles Set for Le Mans after Promotion from Reserve List

ByKolles confirms 24H Le Mans plans after initial reserve status, plus LMP1 testing intentions…

ByKolles Racing is planning to act on its chance to graduate from the 24 Hours of Le Mans reserve list, bringing the LMP1 field up to seven entries for the French enduro.

Team owner Dr. Colin Kolles confirmed to Sportscar365 that the Austrian-flagged outfit is also preparing to contest the rescheduled Total 6 Hours of Spa in August, to fulfill its original plan of action for the 2019-20 FIA World Endurance Championship.

The team’s ENSO CLM P1/01 Gibson was omitted from the main part of the Le Mans entry list that was published in February, and was instead shown as the second standby in the event of a car withdrawing.

It became the first reserve when SRT41 canceled its Garage 56 entry, before being promoted to the main field on Friday when the Porsche North American factory GTE-Pro team withdrew.

A driver lineup has yet to be set according to Kolles, although ex-Formula E racer Tom Dillmann was shown on the provisional teams list published by the ACO.

“For sure we want to go to Spa and Le Mans. This was our initial plan and this is what we want to do,” said Kolles.

“Regarding the drivers, obviously there are a few more options now with the current situation in motorsport.

“I think that the lineup will be quite good at the end of the day. It’s not decided yet, but the drivers which are available are all very high quality.

ByKolles is planning to prepare for Spa and Le Mans by testing its LMP1 car as early as next week at the Nürburgring but is currently awaiting confirmation to do so.

Some GT teams have already conducted tests at Hockenheim in the early stages of Germany’s deconfinement from the coronavirus pandemic.

ByKolles, which has its main facility in southern Germany, is also aiming to send the ENSO CLM out on track at the Slovakia Ring and Paul Ricard in the coming weeks.

Kolles explained that the car, which has not raced since last year’s Le Mans, has received a series of updates ahead of its return to the WEC grid.

“[There are] visible changes because we have a new Le Mans aero kit,” he said. “This includes a completely new front end and rear end.

“When we raced last year at Spa, we were collecting testing time because we had to change the engine [from Nissan] to Gibson. It was a very tight schedule and I hope that all these reliability issues are solved.”

Kolles admitted that it’s too early for the team to decide whether it will file an entry for the WEC season-ending 8 Hours of Bahrain, which comes after Le Mans.

“We have to see what happens, if the dates stay the same,” he said.

“Maybe something can still change. I don’t think anyone knows how the situation will be, but we are prepared for Spa and Le Mans, whenever they take place.”
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/byk ... erve-list/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Not confirmed yet, but there is a huge possibility that also Corvette won't be on Le Mans 2020
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

This is looking to be one of the least supported LM24 ever.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

earlier post wrote:It means that LMP1 competitor ByKolles Racing Team has been moved up to first reserve, ahead of LMP2 squads IDEC Sport and High Class Racing, while Proton Competition is fourth in line and first of the GTE stand-by entries.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Corvette Racing Confirm Le Mans Pull-Out
20 year streak broken as COVID19 crisis bites

Corvette Racing have confirmed that they will not contest the 2020 Le Mans 24 Hours, which had been set to see the European debut of their new for 2020 C8.R GTLM machines.

The move comes hot on the heels of the decision by Porsche to withdraw their two North American-based 911 RSR-19s from the entry and leave just seven cars in the currently confirmed GTE-PRO field.

The logistical difficulties, and financial impacts of the ongoing COVID19 crisis are at the core of the decision with major difficulties likely in ensuring that equipment and crew members can be reliably turned around between revised IMSA calendar commitments and the race in France.

“Corvette Racing has a long history of competing at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so our decision to not participate in this historic race this year was not an easy one,” said Jim Campbell, U.S. Vice President Chevrolet Performance and Motorsports in a statement.

“Several factors played into our decision, including current conditions and the rescheduled timing. We’re proud Corvette Racing has been invited to the 24 Hours of Le Mans over the past 20 years and regret that we won’t be participating this year. We hope we have the opportunity to race at Le Mans again.”

Corvette’s GM-factory backed effort has been a staple at Le Mans since 2000 in the GTS, GT1, GT2 and LM GTE Pro categories. It was the longest current unbroken appearance streak by a single team.

The next two reserve listed entries in the sequence that could inherit a full Le Mans place are the #20 High Class racing LMP2 Oreca with Jan Magnussen the named driver and the #78 Proton Competition GTE-Am Porsche with Dennis Olsen the named driver.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/05/1 ... l-out.html
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Risi Competizione confirms run at Le Mans.

Risi Competizione have re-confirmed their intention to contest the 2020 Le Mans 24 Hours in September, Jules Gounon has now been confirmed in their driver line-up aboard the #82 GTE Pro class Ferrari 488 GTE Evo alongside fellow Frenchmen Olivier Pla and Sebastien Bourdais.

“We were happy to receive the acceptance of our entry for Le Mans once again this year as you can never take this for granted,” said Team Principal Giuseppe Risi. “The world got a little crazy in March so we just sat back and waited to see what would happen. Le Mans is a very important race in the world and the biggest in sports car racing. Although some other teams have pulled out this year, we intend to race as planned.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/05/2 ... plans.html
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It is getting closer, only another week or so and we will have the new spectaotor free LM24 September edition.

Thought it was time to give the thread a bump as I know we have many that will be up for the duration.

I have been spoilt in recent years with Eurosport on my cable provider channels, but sadly they dropped Eurosport last year and so I will be looking for streams / other sources of video coverage.

It seems RLM wont even have a pitlane precence this year and will be broadcasting from an off-site studio it seems.

A teaser appeared on the WEC LM24 youtube account today.... Im not sure if they are hinting at free streaming or not, if only to give teams sponsors some exposure given the no fans status of the event.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago Eurosport on my cable provider channels, but sadly they dropped Eurosport last year and so I will be looking for streams / other sources of video coverage.
Yeah, it sucks that they dropped it :(.

If your internet is via Internode or iiNet, you get Fetch TV for free, which is the only Eurosport provider in Australia currently. Otherwise, if you're missing cycling or winter sports, etc, Fetch TV streaming is the place to go.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

First time since I moved out of my parents that I have Eurosport, so I can actually watch this one for the full 24 hours if I want!
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.