2020 Bathurst 12 Hour (International GT Challenge R1)

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Amended result with 999 30 second penalty applied.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Sam Shahin is recovering in hospital after sustaining a number of injuries in that qualifying crash including two crushed vertebrae, a neck injury, and broken ribs and fingers.

https://au.motorsport.com/endurance/new ... h/4680936/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago Sam Shahin is recovering in hospital after sustaining a number of injuries in that qualifying crash including two crushed vertebrae, a neck injury, and broken ribs and fingers.

https://au.motorsport.com/endurance/new ... h/4680936/
Today Shahin has relived the crash through an interview.... it seems he was lucky he was unable to undo his belts after the first impact which meant he was still strapped in for the second one. He had already radioed the team for an ambulance after the first impact!
Gentleman racer Sam Shahin has recounted his “ferocious” Bathurst 12 Hour crash and explained how it could easily have been even “more disastrous” than the major injuries he did incur.

Shahin was qualifying for the race when his Triple Eight-run Mercedes-AMG was nudged by Cameron McConville.

The contact saw Shahin spear into the exposed concrete wall on the approach to Brock’s Skyline, before his car was hit again at high speed by the Tyler Everingham-driven MARC II V8.

Despite the impact, Shahin was able to extract himself from the cockpit with help from Dirk Müller, who had stopped on track to attend to the driver of the stricken Mercedes-AMG.

In the days following the incident, Shahin revealed he had suffered two crushed vertebrae as well as a broken finger and broken ribs.

Shahin said he knew he was injured from the moment the car came to halt and is lucky not to be worse off after he tried unsuccessfully to unbelt himself.

“We were only a lap or so in after a red flag into what was essentially a practice session,” recounted Shahin.

“Every competitor was on a compromised lap by that stage. I let as many cars as I safely could up Mountain Straight, then more impatient folk between the Cutting and McPhillamy (Park).

“But given (McConville’s) eagerness to pass, I tried to stay right and slowed down to let him through at the only possible safe spot, on driver’s left before Skyline. The rest is history.

“I perhaps should have stayed ‘on’ my lap and yielded as I had originally planned down Conrod Straight.

“The impact was ferocious with very little time to brace. I held on for dear life and the bent steering wheel is testament to the grip level exerted.

“I knew I was seriously injured straight away. The piercing pain in my back was exceptional.

“I am not entirely certain what occurred in the moments immediately after the first impact as I bounced back and became stationary mid-track.

“I tried to unbuckle myself but was unable to. I reached for the radio to ask David Cauchi (engineer) to call for an ambulance when I unexpectedly received the second hit.

“That was a huge hit and totally shook me about in the cabin.

“The second impact would have been more disastrous if I had been able to unbuckle myself moments earlier or I had become stationary facing the other way.

“I have sustained breaks to two vertebrae, a neck injury, broken ribs and a couple of fingers along with some bits and pieces. A high price to pay.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/07/sh ... rst-crash/

Wish Sam the best for a full and speedy recovery.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/15/ba ... ars-event/
The 2021 Bathurst 12 Hour is set to be replaced in favour of a second Supercars event at Mount Panorama as part of a rejigged 2020 calendar.

Question marks surrounding international travel and logistics are understood to have complicated planning for next year’s event.

With Supercars contractually bound to host its season finale in New South Wales, it is believed to have replaced the Newcastle event with a second appearance at Bathurst.

Legislation surrounding Mount Panorama limits the venue to five full circuit closures a year, with Supercars holding the rights to run two of them; the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 and Bathurst 12 Hour.
Hopefully this isn't the case but with the international travel restrictions and whatnot in place (which probably aren't going to be totally lifted by then) they probably won't have much of a choice.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Will be a shame as the 12 hour has become a great event.... but with Supercars now 'owning' the event I think, I guess the writing was on the wall that the V8s would get involved somehow.
I guess the race will have to be put in place before we know the full effect of any ongoing trvel restrictions that would affect the traditional 12 hour entries.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

It seems that was a bit premature, since the IGTC instagram is saying here that the GT part of the 12hr is still on at this stage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAQzgmOhnep ... vl233cv6ux

Supercars themselves have basically said that it's just up in the air atm.