LMDh/LMH main news topic (Convergence complete!)

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Oooo.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I just felt a twitch.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I loved the last BMW 'Prototype' at Le Mans (the V12 LMR). Great sound and pretty to look at, but my God over 20 years ago now. :omg:
Cant wait for 2023.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Unreal. Hype is on then?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago Unreal. Hype is on then?
Re the hype Is anyone of note not in yet?

Who will be next?

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago Unreal. Hype is on then?
Re the hype Is anyone of note not in yet?

Who will be next?
well, unreal in the way that this looks to result in the biggest influx of OEM teams in over 20 years. It's been a long time when we've even had 10 cars in the top class, and soon we are looking at 20 almost.

pinch me
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Remind me who we have?

BMW
Peugeot
Porsche
Ferrari
Audi
Toyota
Aston Martin
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Is Brabham still going ahead?

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

The last time i saw a BT62 in a race was in Britcar last year. Limited funding is hampering them i think.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago The last time i saw a BT62 in a race was in Britcar last year. Limited funding is hampering them i think.
Just had a poke around, and there's a customer car doing some circulating at a decent clip in the British GT Cup Championship.

Did well last weekend: https://www.rosswylieracing.com/wylie-w ... am-marque/

But it's not exactly Le Mans :P.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago The last time i saw a BT62 in a race was in Britcar last year. Limited funding is hampering them i think.
Just had a poke around, and there's a customer car doing some circulating at a decent clip in the British GT Cup Championship.

Did well last weekend: https://www.rosswylieracing.com/wylie-w ... am-marque/

But it's not exactly Le Mans :P.
No, but at least it is still running. I am not following the British series that much.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Remind me who we have?

BMW
Peugeot
Porsche
Ferrari
Audi
Toyota
Aston Martin
Aston withdrew, but then there are privateers like Glickenhaus and ByKolles and the imminent announcement of GM/Cadillac, and also I suspect that Alpine will continue.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Bentley LMDh Shelved, Peugeot ‘Reveal’ 6 July, SCG Monza Drivers

Bentley

Multiple industry sources have confirmed to DSC that the project to bring a Bentley LMDH to competition has been shelved.

With significant customer interest in LMDh the initial demand on the Multimatic-chassised Porsche/ Audi base car, that would have formed the basis for the privately-backed Bentley programme, is expected to exceed available supply for at least 2023.

Peugeot

The Peugeot Hypercar, set for a 2022 FIA WEC debut and built to LMH rules, is set to be seen publicly for the first time on 6 July.

The car will be powered by a 2.6-litre twin-turbo 90 degree V6.

Glickenhaus

Jim Glickenhaus has revealed the driver line-up for Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus’s first two car effort in the FIA WEC’s Hypercar class at next month’s 6 Hours of Monza, the World Champiopnship’s first race appearance at the ‘Temple of Speed’.

The pair of SCG 007 Hypercars will be crewed by: #708 Pipo Derani, Olivier Pla and Gustavo Menezes, whilst the #709, which debuted at Portimao last weekend, is fielded with Richard Westbrook, Romain Dumas and Franck Mailleux.

Mailleux replaces Ryan Briscoe in the car, Glickenhaus at pains to explain that the switch was to ensure all seven team drivers had race experience with the car before Le Mans and was not linked to the incident at Portimao that saw the Australian racer make contact with a pair of GTE cars, the incident leading to the clutch damage that significantly delayed the car.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/06/2 ... ivers.html
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Five days till Peugeot reveals their LMH car. It will run for the first time end 2021.
The team has previously announced that the car has a 2.6 liter twin-turbo V6 and a 200 kW electric motor on the front wheels, which together will deliver 680 hp. The line-up includes Paul di Resta, Loïc Duval, Mikkel Jensen, Kevin Magnussen, Gustavo Menezes and Jean-Eric Vergne.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

ACO, FIA and IMSA firm up agreement on the future of Endurance

In early 2020, the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) announced their intention to work hand-in-hand to create a joint top class for Endurance racing

The convergence work done by the ACO, the FIA and IMSA to align their technical regulations aims to allow cars with different technical definitions to compete alongside one another on both sides of the Atlantic, in the FIA World Endurance Championship and the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. They are:

the LMH, or Le Mans Hypercar, officially introduced in 2021
the LMDh, or Le Mans Daytona h, officially introduced in 2023.

At a high-level technical meeting bringing together the ACO, the FIA, IMSA and all the manufacturers officially involved in LMDh and LMH programmes, the parties came to an agreement that aims to balance the performance of these different types of car (most notably the powertrain and the four-wheel drive set-up) so that LMH cars can compete in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

The specifics for four key technical elements – tire fitment, acceleration profile, braking capability and aerodynamics – were converged and agreed upon by ACO, FIA, and IMSA prior to being approved by the WMSC on July 8th 2021.

Final Technical Regulation language pertaining to the above will be developed jointly by ACO, FIA and IMSA. LMH eligibility will also require an individual business agreement between each manufacturer and IMSA which respects its sporting regulations.

The initial objective shared by the ACO, the FIA and IMSA – giving constructors the opportunity to enter the same car in the world’s most prestigious Endurance races – will thus be achieved in 2023.

Pierre Fillon, President of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest: "This major announcement stems from our ambition to forge a common future for Endurance racing. We have all worked together to achieve this landmark agreement and I would like to thank all the stakeholders very sincerely. It is wonderful news for teams and fans alike and maps out a bright future for Endurance. The manufacturers dreamed of being able to participate in the greatest endurance races in the world with the same model of a car: this will now be reality."

Richard Mille, President of the FIA Endurance Commission: "The FIA, ACO and IMSA have been working towards a common future where teams running in LMH and LMDh can race on both sides of the Atlantic. Today we can see that the convergence has taken a step closer to reality, which is great news for all of us involved in endurance racing. The principles have been agreed by all parties. The dream of teams and manufacturers being able to compete in all of the top endurance races with the same car for the first time is now at hand. This represents a significant moment in the history of motor racing."

John Doonan, IMSA President: "What we achieved as a group a few weeks ago in Paris has the potential to revolutionize prototype sports car racing all over the world. The stage is set for a highly competitive top category that will include many of the world’s greatest automotive manufacturers, showcasing relevant technology in the world’s most prestigious endurance races. Collectively, we have an opportunity to engage with the next generation of endurance sports car racing fans and elevate our sport to the highest levels. I cannot be prouder of the spirit of collaboration between our IMSA team, our colleagues at the ACO and FIA, and all of our automotive partners."

Click HERE for key technical elements.
https://www.fiawec.com/en/news/aco-fia- ... rance/7091
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Technical Details Confirmed for LMH, LMDh Convergence

FIA, ACO, IMSA outline four key areas of LMH, LMDh technical convergence…

The FIA, ACO and IMSA have confirmed the four key areas that will allow convergence between Le Mans Hypercars and LMDh machinery beginning with the 2023 World Endurance Championship and WeatherTech SportsCar Championship seasons.

Revealed following the FIA World Motor Sport Council’s approval of the “technical regulation amendments” on Thursday, a joint press release issued on Friday has also confirmed LMH’s eligibility in the WeatherTech Championship starting in 2023.

The key areas between the two platforms are tire fitment, acceleration profile, braking capability and aerodynamics, with LMDh cars largely adopting the rear-wheel drive technical profile outlined in the current LMH regulations.

LMDh cars will use the LMH tire size regulations for RWD cars, allowing for 34-inch tires in the rear and 29-inch tires in the front.

This compares to the 31-inch tires (front/rear) currently used on LMH cars equipped with a front axle hybrid, such as the Toyota GR010 Hybrid and will remain unchanged heading into 2023.

The acceleration profile for AWD cars, however, will now be controlled through Balance of Performance instead of being part of the technical regulations, with two BoP activation speeds (dry/wet) to be utilized at each circuit, likely between 120-160 km/h.

This method, which will be adjusted by the characteristics of each circuit, has already been tested in the most recent WEC race in Portimao, when the Toyota had an adjusted acceleration profile for its front drivetrain.

LMDh cars will have control software to limit the contribution of its rear-axle mounted electric motor for traction control capabilities, meanwhile.

Both types of powertrains will have identical coasting capabilities, with AWD cars taking into account both the front and rear axle torque levels.

Additionally, the front differential on AWD cars will now have a zero-lock mechanism activated on coasting in an effort to prevent any potential performance advantage.

In the aero department, LMH cars will continue to be homologated at the Sauber wind tunnel in Switzerland, while LMDh cars will undergo homologation at Windshear in North Carolina.

However, LMH cars taking part in the WeatherTech Championship and LMDh in the WEC must undergo “wind tunnel characterization” tests at each other’s designated facilities.

“This major announcement stems from our ambition to forge a common future for endurance racing,” said ACO President Pierre Fillon.

“We have all worked together to achieve this landmark agreement and I would like to thank all the stakeholders very sincerely.

“It is wonderful news for teams and fans alike and maps out a bright future for endurance.

“The manufacturers dreamed of being able to participate in the greatest endurance races in the world with the same model of a car: this will now be reality.”

IMSA President John Doonan believes that the group meeting last month in Paris, which led to Friday’s formal announcement, has the potential to “revolutionize” prototype sports car racing.

“The stage is set for a highly competitive top category that will include many of the world’s greatest automotive manufacturers, showcasing relevant technology in the world’s most prestigious endurance races,” he said.

“Collectively, we have an opportunity to engage with the next generation of endurance sports car racing fans and elevate our sport to the highest levels.

“I cannot be prouder of the spirit of collaboration between our IMSA team, our colleagues at the ACO and FIA, and all of our automotive partners.”

FIA Endurance Commission President Richard Mille added: “The principles have been agreed by all parties.

“The dream of teams and manufacturers being able to compete in all of the top endurance races with the same car for the first time is now at hand.

“This represents a significant moment in the history of motor racing.”
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/tec ... nvergence/