Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I saw it, although I wasn't paying much attention at the time. It was a rather incident packed race with the weather and everything. Even Kristensen spun off into the gravel and that's very unlike him.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Can somebody do a short review of it please?
HC

Post by HC »

Hulkenberg gets Zandvoort win back

By Charles Bradley Friday, August 29th 2008, 10:45 GMT

Nico HulkenbergPre-season Formula 3 Euro Series favourite Nico Hulkenberg has taken the lead of the championship after the Dutch motorsport governing body, KNAF, reinstated his Zandvoort victory ahead of this weekend's round at Brands Hatch in England.

The ten points he receives is enough to push the ART Grand Prix driver nine ahead of Edoardo Mortara.

The court ruled two weeks ago that the mid-race deployment of Hulkenberg's fire extinguisher was the only reason his car was underweight after the Zandvoort race, after the team proved a new fire extinguisher put him 0.6 kg over the 540kg limit.

KNAF then had to decide if it was safe that Hulkenberg had chosen to carry on and finish the race, and as the extinguisher had not deployed properly in the cockpit. It did not approve of Hulkenberg's actions, which it called 'careless', but still agreed to give him the victory back.

The ruling is also dependent on ART not appealing the results of the Sunday race, for which Hulkenberg would have started eighth rather than at the back of the grid. In Gary Paffett's German F3 title year of 2002, a race was once retrospectively annulled due to an erroneous black flag incident, which set an alarming precedent in this area.

ART chief Frederic Vasseur told autosport.com that he has agreed not to appeal the Sunday race.

Hulkenberg's Brands Hatch weekend didn't get off to such a good start, however. He was only 14th fastest, three places behind Mortara in free practice this morning.

Renger van der Zande topped the times for Prema, but less than a tenth of a second covered the top six going into this afternoon's crucial qualifying session.

Source: Autosport
Justice is served!
Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo »

decent race today, Ekström sucks :haha:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

It feels like you aimed that at me somehow, hurr hurr hurr.

Didn't watch that much, have barely any interest in DTM anymore.

Oh, and the Green vs Ekström incident. Ekström only gave back after what Green did at the start. Where there more contact after turn 1 on the last lap?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
HC

Post by HC »

I was just watching the replay on Motors. Mark Cole was implying that I had a German accent. He never heard someone speak Dutch? Guess I'll have to reply to that during the next live broadcast on Motors. :haha:
HC

Post by HC »

Metzo wrote:decent race today, Ekström sucks :haha:
Djeez and that guy is supposed to be a champion. Looking back at 2007 I was surprised that Audi not pulled all their cars in, they seem to do that when they start running Merc's off the road.

First the action in turn one, he comes from a mile back and still manages to run into the back of Green. It must have been deliberate, even if he outbraked himself he could have avoided Jamie. Then the chicane where Green makes a valid move and then gets driven off entering the chicane and coming out of it. I would scrap Ekstrom from the results, seems fair enough if you ask me, cars are not weapons.

Edit: Okay!
Ekstrom excluded, Green penalised

By Glenn Freeman Sunday, September 21st 2008, 16:24 GMT

Mattias Ekstrom has been excluded from Sunday's DTM race at Barcelona, while Jamie Green has been given a 30-second penalty after the pair clashed on the final lap.

The two made contact several times on the final lap of the race while fighting over fifth position. The first incident happened at the first corner, where Ekstrom tried to pass Green but tagged him into a spin.

However, Ekstrom's car was damaged as well, meaning that Green was able to catch him before the end of the lap. The pair went side-by-side through the final chicane, making contact several times, and the move ended with Ekstrom forcing Green into the gravel before the final corner.

The stewards had already penalised Ekstrom 50 seconds for the Turn 1 incident, dropping him to ninth, but they later decided to exclude him from the meeting for his second offence, and fined him 5000 euros.

Green did not escape the wrath of the officials either though, as he was also judged to have caused an avoidable collision just before the chicane, and his 30-second penalty drops him from seventh to eighth.

A statement from the stewards said: "The whole situation was prejudicial to the image/interests of DTM."

Source: Autosport
Can't see what Jamie did wrong, they must not have shown it on TV.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I never thought I'd ever post these words, but here I go. What an immense DTM race at Le Mans! In mixed conditions some drivers (including Paul Di Resta) started on wets, and some slicks. Those who chose wets had to pit only a few laps ino the race as the track clearly wasn't wet enough. That strategy left PDR way down the field out of the points and Timo Scheider lead, looking clear favourite to secure the title at the end of the race. Then the showers came again, and again, and again. But they weren't enough to force any runners to pit for slicks. Because of his early stop PDR left his two mandatory stops until as late as possible, which turned out to be perfect for him as the final shower hit the circuit just as he was about to make his second mandatory stop. PDR pitted to wets whilst the entire field was on slicks. This clear advantage allowed him to ease through the field, but also aided by most of the other runners having to pit again but for wets. Ultimately Ekstrom won, with Di Resta in second. Scheider enjoyed a great tussle with Schneider but lost out and finished 6th. Scheider now leads Di Resta by only 2 points with the Hockenheim finale to come.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Audi screwed Scheider completely. Good.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Metzo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: touring cars
Favourite Circuit: AVUS, Salzburgring

Post by Metzo »

it was a great race tbh
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Agreed. :thumbsup:

How the teams constantly fuck up is somewhat amusing too.

HC

Post by HC »

Absolutely awesome race. One lap the slicks runners would have an advantage and the next lap it was all turned around. As a Mercedes fan it was really nail biting stuff, especially the battle between Schneider and Scheider (which had huge implications on the championship). Great run by Di Resta, I think its the second time this season he went on wets while the rest were on slicks. Bring on Hockenheim.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

This came as a bit of a surprise as I felt Bernd had many more years in him yet
Autosport.com wrote:Schneider to retire after Hockenheim

By Steven English Tuesday, October 21st 2008, 10:30 GMT

Bernd Schneider will retire from racing after this weekend's DTM season finale at Hockenheim.

The 44-year-old Mercedes stalwart has won five DTM championships with the marque as well as one International Touring Car and one FIA GT crown. He also started nine grands prix between 1988 and 1990 for Zakspeed and Footwork.

His retirement at the end of the season has been rumoured since half way through the year when he won the race at the Nurburgring in July, but Mercedes finally confirmed today that he will no return to racing in 2009. Although he will stay on with the manufacturer as an ambassador.

"I've been active as a racing driver for more than 30 years and my aim has always been to continue racing for as long as I enjoy the sport and am still able to remain competitive," said Schneider. "The time to leave has now come and it gives rise to conflicting emotions.

"On one hand I'm sorry to be saying goodbye to the many friends I have made in motorsport, above all in the AMG, HWA and Mercedes-Benz teams. But on the other hand I'm looking forward to facing my exciting new challenges."

Schneider will work as a brand ambassador, instructor and test driver for Mercedes at the AMG Driving Academy.

"I see my decision to work for AMG following my career as an active racing driver as absolutely logical," said Schneider. "I was able to celebrate most of my victories in the AMG Mercedes team and now I'm looking forward to the new challenge."

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug added: "Bernd and Mercedes were partners on the track for 17 years - one of the longest and most successful partnerships between a driver and a brand in the motor racing world. Mercedes-Benz has much to thank Bernd for and he has put his stamp on the DTM like no other driver.

"He is also an example to many young drivers but for me he is also a friend, and one I will miss behind the wheel when there are races to be won."
HC

Post by HC »

Surprise, it was announced before the season that this would be his final year. That´s why it was so great to see him win at the Nurburgring. And mind you that this guy was racing in F1 and IMSA in the 80´s. He´s done it all really.
HC

Post by HC »

Congratulations to Timo Scheider, the 2008 DTM champion! He really deserved it after eight long years in the DTM. This is what you get when you match talent with good equipment. Just earlier this week I was going through old magazines and I saw him leading the German karts in 1995.

Like said on the broadcast, Di Resta did everything right. And he didn´t lose the title in this race, you win or lose a championship over a whole season. Just look back at his pit problems earlier this year at Hockenheim. But he had a great second season in DTM and his drives at the Nurburgring and Le Mans were marvelous.

I do have to say that I´m disgusted by Audi´s tactics once again. They did this last year and now they did it again. From Ekstrom it was kinda expected, looking back at the past. His driving was really on the edge and certainly not something you do to a guy that is fighting for the championship. But what was worse was the move that Tomczyk did. After Paul pitted he deliberately slowed down so he could hold up Di Resta in the stadium section.

But still congratulations to Audi. They won as the underdogs in LMS and the 24 hours, dominated ALMS and now won DTM. I think they won everything they entered. 2008 was quite a surprising season. The favorites from Audi were quite disappointing. Ekstrom and Tomczyk were just not on the pace and it caught everybody by surprise that Timo was the man to beat. Then there´s Kristensen, the rumours are already floating around that he will leave DTM. In the Mercedes camp the big star was Spengler. But he also didn´t deliver while young guns Di Resta and Green took all the top spots. Next year will be quite interesting as we could see quite an amount of drivers leave (Schneider, Kristensen, Di Resta). Ralf will obviously get the Schneider car and Albers could move to ALMS. I hope they put either Premat or Rocky in a good car. They certainly deserve it more than Ekstrom or Tomczyk.

Last but not least goodbye to Schneider. Awesome driver that did do a lot for Mercedes. It will be a shame to not see him race.