[BTCC] 2008 Season

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Bottom post of the previous page:

also a rumour of Ford returning with a diesel is doing the rounds, BMW are pissed at the WTCC fixing/messing around the rules for another manufacturer (care to guess who?) so might pull the WTCC and go BTC/STC etc.

good riddance to SEAT, in their time in the WTCC & BTC they've never managed to build a decent car and had to rely on rule breaks from the organisers to be competitive, when they've been reigned back in, they've done nothing but bitch about it.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Ian-S wrote:also a rumour of Ford returning with a diesel is doing the rounds, BMW are pissed at the WTCC fixing/messing around the rules for another manufacturer (care to guess who?) so might pull the WTCC and go BTC/STC etc.
You mean STCC? BMW already got two factory teams there.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Fucking huge one for John George, rolled lots of times, wheels missing or barely hanging on...

EDIT: Hes out the car, walked over to the Doc's car, good sign after such a big'un.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I was delighted to see Gio take the title again at the weekend and even more delighted to see Mat Jackson pipping Plato for runner up spot. Jackson has been my favourite driver all year and I can't wait to see how he will fare in the 2009 Championship.

In other news, Dick Bennetts has mentioned that he could field a third car in the 2009 Championship as long as the budget is available. Full story at Crash.net.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

switched the tv on a few seconds before George's roll, switched it off again soon after, for some reason most motorsport is failing to hold my attention for more than a few minutes nowday, maybe I'm just getting old :haha:

I was having to work, but usually take a portable tv with me for the BTC, not this time for some reason.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

John went into hospital as a precaution on Sunday night and was released this morning with nothing more than bruising from his HANS device.

The Brands meet was a brilliant advertisment for BTCC 2009. Plenty of action at the front, little of it involving the SEATs and none of it involving Gio.
lollipop dan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lollipop dan »

Looking forward to 2009, the series is certain to be without the works SEAT's, the Arkas team, and most likely Mike Jordan.

Rumours around that Andy Priaulx will join Mat Jacksons outfit which will become the works BMW Team. Motorbase may expand to 3 cars, Andrew Jordan to a top team, or Mike will get him S2000 machinery. Volvo, Ford, Honda rumoured to be new works entries (all unlikely IMO), will be interesting to see where Plato goes.

A lot may depend on who's in the WTCC next year.

For me, BTCC has been the most entertaining series in 2008. Hope it continues to improve.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Actually, Volvo isn't unlikely at all. They already have a very competitive car ready. And Honda is already in there.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I thought the Volvo car was likely to be entered into the WTCC full time. Where has the rumour of it entering the BTCC come from? BMW and Ford are the most likely to enter works teams. Honda has a fairly decent presence thanks to Team Dynamics who have proved you do not need to be works assisted to be champions. I'm sure we'll still see a fairly respectable presence from Seat in 2009. Maybe Northern South will enter a privateer team?
HC

Post by HC »

Volvo and Lada will enter WTCC next year. There's a rumor of an Asian manufacturer entering WTCC, I guess we'll have to wait till Okayama to see if something gets announced. As far as BTCC is concerned I only heard rumors about Ford.

Hopefully Dick Bennetts will have a look at Duncan Huisman, he deserves a seat!
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

And then there's a rumour that Saab will enter STCC with a diesel!

Can't this thread be renamed to Touring Cars or something.

kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

Heres what the rumour mill is saying:

1. Both Motorbase and Team RAC will be expanding to a 3 car attack. The drivers for Motorbase are reported to be Collard, Kane and Plato (which sounds unlikely but actually isnt, and seems to be gathering momentum every day. They are well funded with a pretty big sponser on board) with Team RAC having Turkington, Jelley and possible Jonathon Adam

2. Manufacturer wise, Honda, Volvo, Ford and BMW are all seriously interested in entering for 2009 (remember the head of Honda Uk (or whatnot) was at Brands 'scouting the championship'). Volvo do intend to enter the WTCC, STCC and, quote, '1 other national championship.' BMW are very interested in the championship as they arent, reportidly, liking how the WTCC is going and if they did it would be at least a 2 car team, with my guess Priaux coming back, Jackson and possible 1 other driver (Farfus maybe?). Honda are also quite keen, and there seems to be a growing chance that at least a 1-car effort will be in the BTCC at some point, possible with Gordon Shedden or James Thomson behind the wheel, and the victory at Imola increased this chance of happening, imo. Ford I dont really know a lot about, apart from what Kieren mentioned a while back.

3. Regarding Team Euroteck. They have apparently bought the two Civic from Dynamics and will race them next year, with Andrew Jordan drving one. Indeed, there have been drwings of what the cars would look like.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

We'll be seeing two Ford Focuses in BTCC next year, run by Arena Motorsport. Tom Chilton has been confirmed as one of the drivers.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Cool, looking forward to seeing those.
HC

Post by HC »

PTRACER wrote:We'll be seeing two Ford Focuses in BTCC next year, run by Arena Motorsport. Tom Chilton has been confirmed as one of the drivers.
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=9285
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ooops, I'll move it.

May be time to compile a new "Motorsport Discussion Topics - 2009 Seasons" thread at the top of the forum...
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records