[WTCC/IFM] 2008 Season

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
HC

[WTCC/IFM] 2008 Season

Post by HC »

WTCC: Zolder set to host WTCC race in '08

By Edd Straw, autosport.com

Zolder is set to host a round of the World Touring Car Championship in 2008, effectively replacing the scrapped Mexican round.

This week's Autosport reports that the Belgian circuit is likely to host a round on April 19-20, while Mexico's date was meant to be at the start of the month.

WTCC boss Marcello Lotti said: "There is the opportunity to have an extra round on the calendar.

"It is no problem to have a 12th round and Zolder would be a good track for the championship."

Zolder was initially put on standby in case Anderstorp was not homologated in time for its round next year.

However, the Swedish track is now expected to keep its slot, while Mexico was dropped from the calendar because the WTCC was unable to get guarantees from circuits regarding their homologation.

Belgium last hosted a round of the WTCC in 2005 at Spa, when the series was running on a shared bill with the FIA GT championship.

Source: Autosport
Haven't seen WTCC since I went to Spa in 05 so I can't wait. Hope it will go ahead.
Last edited by HC 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Good thing that Anderstorp is likely to keep it's round. That track is great for touring car racing. Races this year both in STCC and WTCC were great.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
HC

Post by HC »

WTCC: D'Aste rejoins Proteam for 2008

By Steven English, autosport.com

World Touring Car Independents' champion Stefano D'Aste has rejoined Proteam Motorsport for the coming season.

The 33-year-old Italian raced for the team from 2004 to 2006 but switched to the German Wiechers-Sport squad last year and sealed the Independent title with three class victories in a BMW 320si.

He will now move back to Proteam to join Spaniard Sergio Hernandez, who remains with the Italian outfit for another year. Each will again drive a BMW 320si.

D'Aste's best result in the WTCC to date was second overall in race two at Spa-Francorchamps in July 2005.

© 2008 autosport.com. Published on January 15th 2008.

Source: Autosport
2008 calendar.

March 2 Curitiba, Brazil
April 6 Puebla, Mexico
May 18 Valencia, Spain
June 1 Pau, France
June 15 Brno, Czech Republic
July 6 Estoril, Portugal
July 27 Anderstorp, Sweden
August 31 Oschersleben, Germany
September 21 Brands Hatch, UK
October 5 Monza, Italy
October 26 or November 2 Okayama, Japan
November 16 Macau, China
Misterfreeman87

Post by Misterfreeman87 »

Too bad Zolder didnt make it in, would had fit WTCC perfectly....but as Cheeveer allraedy said great to see Anderstorp stayed in the calender.
kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

HC, that calenders a bit out of date. Heres the 2008 calender:

29/02 - 02/03 Curitiba
04/04 - 06/04 Puebla
17/05 - 18/05 Valencia
30/05 - 01/06 Pau
14/06 - 15/06 Brno
11/07 - 13/07 Estoril
26/07 - 27/07 Brands Hatch
30/08 - 31/08 Oschersleben
20/09 - 21/09 Anderstorp
04/10 - 05/10 Monza
24/10 - 26/10 Okayama
13/11 - 16/11 Macau

From the WTCC website
Lunatic Armchair
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Location: St Alfonzo's Pancake breakfast,where I stole the marjerene

Post by Lunatic Armchair »

Okayama = TI Circuit?
Matt wrote:The 1981 Monaco and Spanish Grands Prix had a surprising winner, merely due to the fact that they're the only races in history to have been won by a World War 2 tank disguised as a Formula One car.
HC

Post by HC »

Correct.
HC

Post by HC »

N Technology will run Honda Civic's this year, but the cars won't be ready in time for the season opener. Engines will be tuned by Mugen and only confirmed driver so far is Thommo.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

That's quite a nice calendar, although Curitiba is an odd place for the season opener.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
jpalesi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jpalesi »

Puebla :sorrow: I thought they learnt the lesson last year, but no, they felt it was a good idea to come back there :roll:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I guess racing at Hermanos Rodriguez would be too much fun for these kind of cars. But remove Brno and you'll get a very nice schedule. Add an Australian track perhaps, they have a rich touring car heritage.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Do you not like Brno Cheeveer? I've always enjoyed the racing there.
kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

I always quite liked Bruno. I think its a good circuit.
PorscheFanNo1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by PorscheFanNo1 »

Theres nothing more boring the wathcing WTCC at Brno, the cars looks sooooooooo slow on that track, its not suited to those cars at all and Brno should be droped, the sooner the better. FIA-GT at Brno however is fun!
HC

Post by HC »

Our Dutch driver Olivier Tielemans will take D'Aste's seat at Wiechers Sport, driving a BMW 320si. Last year Stefano took the Independents’ Trophy, maybe Olivier can get it into Dutch hands again.